PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

Bestaussiegirl
09-14-2010, 11:00 PM
I have a Canon 5D and have recently purchased an NN5 w RD16 & Ezyleveller II. I am contemplating purchasing a new lens. I currently use a 24-105mm f4 but am looking at either an EF15mm f2.8 or an EF28mm f2.8. At the moment I'm learning how to use the NN5 and am taking simple single plane panos. Which lens should I purchase and why? :eek:

John Houghton
09-15-2010, 12:29 AM
What are you wanting to produce? Are you wanting to make 360x180 VR panoramas for viewing on the web, or large rectilinear (planar) stitched images at high resolution for printing or what? On the face of it, you already own a 28mm capable lens, so why do you want another? The 15mm fisheye works very well with the 5D (MK I or MK II ?) to make nice 360x180 panoramas using a single row of 6 shots, together with zenith and nadir shots. Using the 28mm lens for a 360x180 would need many more images - maybe 3 rows of 12 + nadir and zenith.

John

Vincèn
09-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Hum nothing more to say than John that you already have useful lenses for Panorama :) I found myself that 28mm is a good compromise between quality of panoramas and work to do on site for shoots (three rounds of ten shots plus nadir and zenith). If you use fisheye lens, process on site will be shorter (a little), with less shots but quality is not enough good in my point of view (well at least for outdoor scenes) ! If you go higher with 105mm process will be much longer on site but you'll get an astonishing quality :eek:

May you tell us more about what sort of panoramas you plan to shoot ? outdoor ? indoor ?

Vincèn

Bestaussiegirl
09-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Thanks for your reply John. Camera is 5D Mk I. Initially I want to take panoramas only for printing. I am not overly keen on the fisheye effect that a fisheye lens gives to single shots. I'm not wanting that effect if I take panoramas and stitch them. So I guess I'm wondering if the 15mm will give me that effect or if by stitching them, using a 15mm lens, the fisheye effect will be minimal.

Bestaussiegirl
09-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Hi Vincen. I will be shooting outdoor panoramas to print. Mostly beach, sunset and sunrise scenes. The reason I was thinking the 28mm lens is that it is a fixed focal length and perhaps a little sharper than the zoom lens. And, as you state, the 15mm to take less shots. However, I would rather take more shots and get better quality than fewer shots and less quality.

Vincèn
09-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Hi Vincen. I will be shooting outdoor panoramas to print. Mostly beach, sunset and sunrise scenes. The reason I was thinking the 28mm lens is that it is a fixed focal length and perhaps a little sharper than the zoom lens. And, as you state, the 15mm to take less shots. However, I would rather take more shots and get better quality than fewer shots and less quality.
Oky so definitively start with 28mm :) You'll get already a very nice quality and time to move forward to longer focal length till 105mm :001_tongue: By the way, for info, when you use Fisheye lens for shooting panoramas, fisheye effect disappears once stitched !

Bestaussiegirl
09-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Cheers... :clap:

hansnyberg
09-15-2010, 04:19 AM
Thanks for your reply John. Camera is 5D Mk I. Initially I want to take panoramas only for printing. I am not overly keen on the fisheye effect that a fisheye lens gives to single shots. I'm not wanting that effect if I take panoramas and stitch them. So I guess I'm wondering if the 15mm will give me that effect or if by stitching them, using a 15mm lens, the fisheye effect will be minimal.

You will not see any fisheye effect when stitching fisheyes.
You can choose any projection in your output.
Rectilinear, equirectangular, cylindric and several other projections.

The Canon 15mm is the best fisheye you can get even if it like all extreme wideangles has color aberration it is easy to correct.
I use it for most panoramas also partial ones in 140-180 degrees. With 3 images you get a 6000-8000 pixels panorama with 200x 140 degrees. I often take that in special situations for clients , sometimes with amonopod above my head. Using the Panini projection you can get some very spectacular panoramas which amazes clients.
Here are a couple of examples.
http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/panini/vedutismo.html

I also use an old Nikkor 28mm on my 5D Mark II for large spherical panoramas. 28mm is a very good size as it is the largest you can do with 3 rows and you also get a depth of field at F11 which can be used indoor.
Here is one using multilevel tiles for full resolution 28000x14000
http://www.panoramas.dk/kalkmalerier/mm/mm28000.html
And here is almost same pano with the 15mm 14800x7400
http://www.panoramas.dk/kalkmalerier/mm/15mm/14800.html

Hans