PDA

View Full Version : NN5/5L series discontinued

Bill Bailey
09-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Nodal Ninja 5 series pano head have been discontinued - once existing stock is depleted they will be unavailable.
More news to follow soon.
Bill

Vincèn
09-01-2010, 02:28 PM
an estimated timeframe of end of stock ?

Bill Bailey
09-01-2010, 03:23 PM
This is difficult question to answer especially to resellers that are trying to plan stock supplies. Also posting public estimates of when we "think" we might run out is not a good idea. Many people plan purchases ahead of time and if we said we will have stock x amount of weeks only to sell out sooner it could disappoint some. And in all fairness we will have to place limits so one reseller doesn't buy up all the inventory further forcing customers to buy from them.

Nick will use and build from existing stock so as to spread the life span of NN5 w/RD16. So this means the first to go will be everything head in the NN5 series with the exception of NN5 w/RD16. And with the exception of NN5 w/RD16 these items are unfortunately no longer available to resellers. What "will" be available (also in limited supply) are what we call "Factory Irregulars". The lower rails may have a bit more dust in paint, a few tiny pores in casting, and small scratches in paint. They are still fully functional and covered by same 2 yr warranty. The factory irregulars for NN5/5L (starter/ rotator packages) will be $30 to $50 lesser expensive.

And just because the Nodal Ninja 5 series has been discontinued doesn't mean we won't have alternate solutions coming out soon like the Modular system (again no specific dates).
Bill

Bill Bailey
09-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Why discontinued?
The mold as reached the end of its usable life and can no longer meet the high quality standards Nick strives for and the customers have come to expect. So rather than spending the money to create a new mold Nick is working harder to bring the newer production models online.

Nodal Ninja 5 has been on the market for nearly 3 years and this is like losing a good friend. There are many NN5 users out there and Nick's dedication to fine workmanship as proven itself with less than a .01% return rate from warranty issues. Like NN3 series and the new Ultimate line R1/R10's these heads are built to last for many years. And not worry NN5 users we'll also have replacement parts for just as long should you lose or accidentally break a piece.

Decisions like this don't come easily but as most of you know the Fanotec slogan says it all;
"We listen. We try harder."
Wait until you see what's next :thumbup:

Bill

NorthBayPanos
09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Nick has never disappointed before, I really like my 5 :rolleyes:but I'm sure the new one will be interesting:rolleyes:. Same timing as the poles? any hints??

DemonDuck
09-01-2010, 07:49 PM
NN5 is discontinued -- so maybe an updated design would be opportune? How about this -- the bottom rail is a vertical I beam instead of a horizontal I beam. The pivot point (rotator) is smaller and on the front (toward the subject) side of the I beam. The vertical rail is also rotated 90 degrees to show the narrow side instead of the wide side. It is also a bit taller to move the camera farther away from the pivot so the head is smaller in the picture. Similar arraingment with the tilt pivot which is also smaller. The tilt arm is narrower and thicker for strength and the camera support "elevates" the camera sideways away from the tilt arm.

All this so the head is visually smaller in all the images where the head partially shows in the image.

nick fan
09-02-2010, 04:00 AM
It is kind of sad. Some unexpected production issues force us to discontinue NN5 series at this early stage. We have plenty of irregulars available. They are very good for money. In fact we could have loosened our quality standard a bit and sold them as regulars. But I don't want to be unfair to new customers. I want them to get the same quality as that mentioned by reviews and early customers.

We are working hard on the Ultimate modular series. But we have even higher quality standard for the Ultimate modular series. It will take a while to get them ready.

Nick

nick fan
09-02-2010, 09:29 AM
What "will" be available (also in limited supply) are what we call "Factory Irregulars". The lower rails may have a bit more dust in paint, a few tiny pores in casting, and small scratches in paint. They are still fully functional and covered by same 2 yr warranty.

cosmetic defect can be

dust particle in painting
OR
micro pores in casting surface
OR
small scratches.

Nick

Dreamer
09-03-2010, 04:07 PM
To bad that the NN5 is discontineud, I am very happy with my NN5 and hope it will last for years.

Nico from the netherlands

ruel941
09-04-2010, 12:14 AM
sorry to hear about the nn5 being discontinued. i'm a nn3mkii user but intends to upgrade to nn5 as i plan to upgrade my body to 5dmkii. with this news, i can't wait to see what's coming next to nn5.

bigwade
09-06-2010, 02:37 PM
I feel a little sad about this ending.
The new "RRS/Arca-style" design will be much, much more expensive and heavier
unless Nick has another clever idea :-)

nick fan
09-07-2010, 12:02 AM
I feel a little sad about this ending.
The new "RRS/Arca-style" design will be much, much more expensive and heavier
unless Nick has another clever idea :-)

The weight of Arca-style pano head will depend on the camera and lens in use.

photo enthusiast
09-11-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm a new customer, and am concerned by this development because I thought the NN5 was one of your leading products, and expected NN5 to be supported by warranty and replacement parts. I just purchased it two weeks ago, so I'm shocked to see it be discontinued. Is a new comparable model in the works?

I see Nodal Ninjas have a great reputation, one of the reasons for purchasing. I have the RD16 head. I returned to the site only because my Manfrotto RC2 plate released my Nodal Ninja onto the pavement, and I need to order replacement parts.

Specifically, I need the big rubber knob on the NN5 (not NN5L) articulation, which changes the incline of the camera angle. I cannot find the parts store like I found last week for the NN5.

nick fan
09-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm a new customer, and am concerned by this development because I thought the NN5 was one of your leading products, and expected NN5 to be supported by warranty and replacement parts. I just purchased it two weeks ago, so I'm shocked to see it be discontinued. Is a new comparable model in the works?

I see Nodal Ninjas have a great reputation, one of the reasons for purchasing. I have the RD16 head. I returned to the site only because my Manfrotto RC2 plate released my Nodal Ninja onto the pavement, and I need to order replacement parts.

Specifically, I need the big rubber knob on the NN5 (not NN5L) articulation, which changes the incline of the camera angle. I cannot find the parts store like I found last week for the NN5.

No worry for the parts for repair and warranty. We have plenty.
Just talk to Bill to buy a upper rotator tension knob for NN5-the one with a bearing inside. He will list this knob in the store soon.

Nick

nick fan
09-11-2010, 08:44 PM
For those who worry about the future of affordable line of Nodal Ninja, we will release a new product in 2011. It is a slightly downgraded "NN5" with fixed 15 deg lock in upper rotator. It works for focal length slightly less than 100mm eq. Those who want to use longer focal length need to grab an NN5 series while still available or buy the new multi-row Ultimate pano heads. As a matter of fact, NN5/5L does not work very well for big tele lenses. These lenses are best served by the Ultimate.

Nick

hindenhaag
09-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Don't worry.

You can order online if you like to. Some months ago I ordered the three knob set, in case something might happen.

Go down the site and you will find all NN5 availible knobs, ect. You have to go to >estore, >accessories.

http://store.nodalninja.com/categories/Accessories/

Regards,

Heinz

jeremyknight9
09-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Hello there.

I'm wondering whether I should buy a NN5 w/R-D16 before they all go, or whether I should wait 6/12 months for one of the new, currently unreleased models, should they better serve my needs.

I have a Canon 40D and want to create both 360 VRs (I currently have the 17-85mm but will get a wider lens in time) with the option to use longer lenses (100mm prime / 70-300mm) for detailed vistas.

I'm happy to wait a while if it's going to be worth it, but likewise I don't want to miss out on a NN5 if the new models won't be able to do everything the NN5 can.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kind Regards,
Jeremy.

nick fan
09-17-2010, 08:08 PM
I have a Canon 40D and want to create both 360 VRs (I currently have the 17-85mm but will get a wider lens in time) with the option to use longer lenses (100mm prime / 70-300mm) for detailed vistas.

New model will only have fixed 15 deg lock in the upper rotator. It works up to 50-60mm on 1.6x sensor. If you plan to use longer focal length, get a NN5 series now.

nick

adavis2
09-17-2010, 11:01 PM
I was looking to upgrade from the NN3 to NN5 as well... I have a 5d with 16-35mm lens that i use for other photography and was hoping to use it in the 360 world as well. at first glance it doesnt appear as if I would be able to use the ultimate with this lens, please tell me i'm wrong.
Looks like I need to hurry up!

nick fan
09-18-2010, 06:40 AM
The NN Ultimate Modular series will support all lens types. The coming model will have fixed 7.5 deg indexed lock in the upper rotator. It will suppoort focal length up to 200mm eq. I am also developing models that will support >500mm focal length. But be prepared for a much higher price for the Ultimate.

Nick

photo enthusiast
09-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Thank you. They just arrived yesterday.

Don't worry.

You can order online if you like to. Some months ago I ordered the three knob set, in case something might happen.

Go down the site and you will find all NN5 availible knobs, ect. You have to go to >estore, >accessories.

http://store.nodalninja.com/categories/Accessories/

Regards,

Heinz

adavis2
09-18-2010, 12:32 PM
The NN Ultimate Modular series will support all lens types. The coming model will have fixed 7.5 deg indexed lock in the upper rotator. It will suppoort focal length up to 200mm eq. I am also developing models that will support >500mm focal length. But be prepared for a much higher price for the Ultimate.

Nick

sounds good... i'm having a hard time understanding how a zenith and nadar shot would be made... since the 16mm isnt a fisheye, i will need a zenith in order to make a full 360x360 if i'm not mistaken.

nick fan
09-18-2010, 08:34 PM
sounds good... i'm having a hard time understanding how a zenith and nadar shot would be made... since the 16mm isnt a fisheye, i will need a zenith in order to make a full 360x360 if i'm not mistaken.

I am not talking NN Ultimate R1/10. The coming NN Ultimate modular series is a multi-row full spherical pano head like NN5. You can even make a 360x 180 deg pano using a 200mm lens.

nick

jeremyknight9
09-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks Nick for the advice - I have now ordered a NN5 w/R-D16 from my local reseller and can't wait to use it.

Jeremy.

Juniper
10-06-2010, 04:11 AM
Hello. If I purchased the NN5 with RD16 rotator, would it support an 18 to 200mm Nikon, or do I need something else for it?

Thanks

hindenhaag
10-06-2010, 04:49 AM
Hi Juniper,

18-200 VRII ? What Camera body?

Regards,
Heinz

Juniper
10-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Yes, sorry!! Its to be used with a Nikon 18-200 VRII with a D300s Nikon Body.

hindenhaag
10-06-2010, 05:05 AM
D300s LRS 60, test it with this http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/8519/ . If the tooth cuts to the right, move the body to the right, if it cuts left, to the left, 1mm by 1mm.

18-200VR II : zoom , urs 18 108, 24 103, 35 95, 50 80, 70 57

For fisheye lenses have a look to the D300s fisheye lens comparison: http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/showthread.php?4123-Sets-of-pictures-for-fisheye-lens-comparison-on-Nikon-D90-D300s-D700-to-play-around&p=31888#post31888

Feel free to ask, and welcome to the forum.

Regards,

Heinz

Juniper
10-06-2010, 05:20 AM
Sorry - I have gotten lost here!! What is the LRS 60 and the link that you provided, goes to a post in the forum about water droplets on a fisheye lens.

hindenhaag
10-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Juniper,

LRS = lower rail setting = the position you have to place the vertical rail to with the long side of the foot directing to rotator center.

Just tested the link, it goes to list of fisheye comparison, does'n it?

Heinz

Juniper
10-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Hi Heinz

I appreciate your help, but I am a potential client, simply trying to establish if I can use my D300s, with an 18-200mm VRII on the NN5 with an RD16 rotator, or if I need anything else with it.

hindenhaag
10-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Juniper,

By sending you the settings for D300s for the lower rail and for the upper rail for your 18-200mm VRII, I stated that you can use it. With 18mm zoom you have to take a lot of pictures to set up a panorama. Most of us shot with fisheye lenses. That's why I gave the link to the fisheye lenses. You can shoot with 4, 6 or 8 shots to be ready with a fisheye for a single row.

A good addition would be to order the Nadir adaptor to have help with the nadir shot.

Heinz

Btw: sorry now I checked what you ment : http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=4162

Juniper
10-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Thank you for the help Heinz. I have ordered it and the Nadir adaptor as well.

kosmarnik
10-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Actually this factory irregulars sadden me, as I'm in EU where the cheapest NN5 set is 530$ plus shipping. That's $170 over the irregulars US price and 120$ over the regular one.
NN5+RD16 is 650$ here :'(

hindenhaag
10-22-2010, 01:28 PM
I understand what you are talking about. NN5 RD16 is sold for 469 € in NL.

But let me try to explain: I received my pre-ordered Pano Pole with some other accessories yesterday. Price: $482.06 in total. Included shipping costs in this price: $182.54 being on the way from 15.- 21Oktober. For $60 less it is on its way 4-6 weeks, when it is not stuck in customs. When it was deliver at my door, I had to pay nearly another 100€ for taxes and customs. And this price is without any profit for a reseller.

So we have to imagine that the all in price we pay to a reseller has to include shipping, customs, taxes, pre-payed money to have it in stock, the time he has to spend to take our calls "When do my parts arrive?", plus he tries to serve us just asking an extra special ring for NN3 or an extra lens ring. With extra orders. The moment they place an extra order for a $10 ring, the profit is gone the moment they sit at the PC to order it. For the rest they pay extra money to serve us.

Of course we can say he has chosen for this business himself. But that's not fair. They have to spend the same amount of time to order an extra ring for NN3 as well as an order for you with NN5 NN3 R1 pole. So we also have to pay for their service plus I suppose for a not so high profit with this gear.

When a customer tells me it is much cheaper in Istanbul, I tell him he has the choice to get it there. But in case something goes wrong, he has to take another flight to Istanbul to get service or deal with a reclamation.

Live yourself, but give others the chance to live as well. Otherwise once upon a time we have to take a rowing boat to US to get the Nodal Ninja Parts on our own.:scared:

So I am glad to find european resellers like Badders in UK, Vincen in France and Mauro in Italy. Following the forum you will recognize their engagement and knowledge. But I think, they like to have a nice meal at the end of a working day like you and me.

With best regards,

Heinz

photo enthusiast
10-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Actually this factory irregulars sadden me, as I'm in EU where the cheapest NN5 set is 530$ plus shipping. That's $170 over the irregulars US price and 120$ over the regular one.
NN5+RD16 is 650$ here :'(

Kosmarnik,

I see where you're coming from. It can be quite frustrating. When I worked in Norway, I constantly had colleagues complain about online pricing in their own country than what could be found elsewhere, in particular, the US.

Heinz has a point, though. The customs, VAT, and handling comes at a cost. You could personally avoid some of this by doing the transaction yourself, but it becomes complicated even with reputable sellers.

I'm a voracious online shopper, but rarely have I needed to purchase outside the US. When I have, it has been a long and complicated process. I ordered some cycling stuff from Germany last year. I waited two months after the ship date, it never arrived. The tracking went dead when it hopped the plane. Fortunately, the vendor was reputable, and agreed to resend the merchandise.

The second package arrived two weeks later, and the first package arrived the very next day. I returned one of the packages, but it cost the vendor $30USD to send that second package. They said they had a 30% rate of reships with customers in the US.

Purchasing from Asia isn't as difficult, but it depends on so many factors, it's difficult for a single customer to keep track of.

Remember that much of the cost goes to VAT and overseas shipping. The rest may or may not be worth your while to take a chance.

In the mean time, they way this country is being run, we'll soon be paying taxes as high or higher than your own. Cheap taxes were nice while it lasted, but others have decided that my money will be better put to use increasing bureaucracy, mismanagement, and waste in our government.

badders
10-24-2010, 02:33 AM
I'm in EU where the cheapest NN5 set is 530$ plus shipping.
What country are you in?

kosmarnik
10-24-2010, 02:05 PM
What country are you in?

Actually, I'm just outside EU, Croatia. We have even higher VAT here (23%). Lets say I want to buy locally, a Guitar Hero bundle, it's 250EUR locally, but only 160Eur from Amazon.de (that's with shipping and VAT). Amazon US has the same thing at 100EUR. Great!

For NN the closest distributor is in Austria and Italy.

Ricardo
11-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Hey Nick,
When you will have images of the Ultimate to show us?

cybtech
11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
High, I'mnew around here and pretty new to the pano world...

I love panoramic pictures, i've already done one that i like but, as it's just a single image crop, it's not really detailed... So i want to buy a pano head... I was interested in buying a NN5 with an RD16 but as it's discontinued i decided to wait for the new model... Any idea when it will be available? It's supposed to be my christmas gift :)

And i don't see any prototype pictures with the link you posted...

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Macro
11-19-2010, 08:01 PM
And i don't see any prototype pictures with the link you posted...

New modular system photos at this LINK (http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/showthread.php?3857-NEW-NODAL-NINJA-PRODUCTS&p=30027&viewfull=1#post30027)

nick fan
11-19-2010, 08:08 PM
So i want to buy a pano head... I was interested in buying a NN5 with an RD16 but as it's discontinued i decided to wait for the new model... Any idea when it will be available? It's supposed to be my christmas gift :)

Sorry, still working hard on its production. More info will be released in Dec. It is unlikely you can get it for X'mas gift.

Nick

hindenhaag
11-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Cybtech,

contact Vincen, you very good French distributor. There will be NN5's within 2 weeks or so:

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
My blog: http://www.skivr.com
My online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
My photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr

Heinz

Vincèn
11-20-2010, 01:29 AM
contact Vincen, you very good French distributor. There will be NN5's within 2 weeks or so:
Yep NN5 all versions will be back in store in next ten days (factory irregular models but work perfectly, only aspects default ;)

Vincèn

wilco23
11-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Sorry, still working hard on its production. More info will be released in Dec. It is unlikely you can get it for X'mas gift.

Nick

Wish santa can bring it before X'mas

DemonDuck
11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Looking at the pictures of the prototypes, the new unit certainly looks robust and flexible. However, when I look at some of the new cameras, I see a significant trend toward smaller and smaller cameras. Some of the new M4/3 cameras are not much bigger than compacts. The new unit is way overkill for that class of camera. And if you think of some of the high end compacts, it is just an impractical solution.

Hopefully, when the new modular system is done, Nodal Ninja will turn it's attention toward producing a mini-NNXX that will be a more practical solution for small EVIL's and compacts.

DD

nick fan
11-25-2010, 02:30 AM
Hopefully, when the new modular system is done, Nodal Ninja will turn it's attention toward producing a mini-NNXX that will be a more practical solution for small EVIL's and compacts.

DD

That will be a natural progression.:th_jtteglad::th_jtteglad::th_jtteglad :

cybtech
12-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi, any news about the NN5 replacement? When will it be available?

Thanks in advance.

hindenhaag
12-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Latest news have told us Jan, Feb 2011. Nick is working hard on it.

Heinz

cybtech
12-13-2010, 06:03 AM
Ok i'll wait until february ;) It's too cold for me at the moment anyway :)

nefar1ous
03-05-2011, 03:27 AM
For those who worry about the future of affordable line of Nodal Ninja, we will release a new product in 2011. It is a slightly downgraded "NN5" with fixed 15 deg lock in upper rotator. It works for focal length slightly less than 100mm eq. Those who want to use longer focal length need to grab an NN5 series while still available or buy the new multi-row Ultimate pano heads. As a matter of fact, NN5/5L does not work very well for big tele lenses. These lenses are best served by the Ultimate.

Nick

Hey Nick, I was just considering the purchase of one of the discontinued NN5's when I caught this quote here. Are you, or anyone with experience, suggesting this is not a good option for use with say a Canon 5dmII with a 70-200mm lens? Because I need to mount a large telephoto like this for my commercial panorama work, but also want something to do fisheye work as well... 2 birds, one tool. COMMENTS PLEASE. The newer equipment cost is DOUBLE the existing stock of NN5's.

hindenhaag
03-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Hi,

I use NN5 RD16 with D3 70-200mm/f2.8, and this works. But this is one of the very big boys for the NN5. It won't take a Nikkor 200/300mm/f2.8. Then you have to wait for the big tele-lenses equipment.

http://homepage.mac.com/hindenhaag/filechute/DSC_1130.jpg Zoom @200 in this position.

You have to use the NN5 in a special way with this lens, cause zoom @ 200 gives a NPP behind the sensor!

Do you know the settings for Canon 70-200? May be you try to order with the option to change it if you do not like it or it does not fit .

Heinz

Try to call or chat with Bill:

Nodal Ninja®, 3454 N. San Marcos Pl. Ste 8, Chandler, Arizona, 85225 USA
Customer Service ph: 480-659-9899 / fax: 480-452-0452 Hours: M-T-TH-F 7am-11am