MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

VinkoCM
05-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Hello everybody,

I am looking into purchasing the Manfrotto 190XProB with a 804RC2 head. It is on sale at Henry's for $239.99. What do you all think? Is this a good start-up tripod for a beginner in panoramas? All comments and suggestions are welcome.

http://www.henrys.ca/9857-MANFROTTO-190XPROB-W-804RC2-HEAD-KIT.aspx

nick fan
05-16-2010, 07:08 PM
3-way head is not the best choice for spherical panos. It introduce large nadir footprint.

nick

Flashificator
05-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Everything can be modified for one's needs/wants:

from this:

http://flashificator.com/forums/download/file.php?id=158

to this:

http://flashificator.com/forums/download/file.php?id=159

With a single key/tool to change the head's posiiton, kept in the tripod carry-handle:

http://flashificator.com/forums/download/file.php?id=165

Due to the Nodal Ninja EZ leveler, I have not had the need to change the head angle at all for months.

In my normal working environment, I could do well without the remains of the 3-way head, since it is just dead weight.

VinkoCM
05-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Thank you Nick for that advice. I see what you mean and now I understand the issue. But could I not just remove the head when I want to take a spherical pano. I do have an EZ-leveler so it should not really be an issue to level the whole thing. Also, I could always touch up the horizon line through stitching software right?

nick fan
05-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Thank you Nick for that advice. I see what you mean and now I understand the issue. But could I not just remove the head when I want to take a spherical pano. I do have an EZ-leveler so it should not really be an issue to level the whole thing. Also, I could always touch up the horizon line through stitching software right?

if the head is removable, it is fine.
smaller footprint means easier to patch.

Nick

DemonDuck
05-17-2010, 02:22 AM

You can buy a cheap, light tripod with out a head on eBay and save yourself a lot of trouble. Use your leveler. That's all you need for pano.

DemonDuck
05-17-2010, 02:28 AM
There's the same tripod without the head -- which you don't need -- on eBay for $145. Save your self some money and spend it at Nick and Bill's Hardware and Dry Goods.... :001_smile:

VinkoCM
05-17-2010, 06:05 AM
First I am pretty sure that the head can be removed so that solves the patching issue. As for saving cash, I still think I am going to purchase it. I need to get more experience in panoramic photography before I will purchase anything else from Nick and Bill. I am happy with the setup I have now (Nodal Ninja 3 MKII with the EZ-Leveler) except for the tripod. So the tripod is what I am looking to upgrade at the moment. Thank you all for your comments. It has helped a lot.

hindenhaag
05-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Vincko,

The manfrotto head is handy for normal photographie. So I think from that point of view it is good to buy the set. Now the problem: to take it off for the NN3, you have to loosen three screws with a screwdriver to take off the head from the tripod. This is not nice and not handy. But you can buy a second centre column for the tripod to go with the NN3. Changing them is very quick without any screwdriver etc.

It's the way I use my tripod for normal/pano photographie.

Heinz

VinkoCM
05-17-2010, 08:35 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking Heinz. I was planning on purchasing the tripod alone. But along came this sale and I think this is great for general photography. Plus, like you said I could purchase another center column. I am on my way to the store now.

hindenhaag
05-17-2010, 09:00 AM
You tricky dick, :wink:

I am quite sure you will be sure in short time to have taken the right decision.

I think I have "seen" you before.

May I ask you for your camera lens combination?

Heinz

VinkoCM
05-17-2010, 12:03 PM
You tricky dick, :wink:

I am quite sure you will be sure in short time to have taken the right decision.

I think I have "seen" you before.

May I ask you for your camera lens combination?

Heinz

What do you mean by 'seen' me? I am practically non existent.
All I have at the moment is the Canon Digital Rebel XSi that came with a Canon 18mm-55mm lens in a kit.

VinkoCM
05-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Everything can be modified for one's needs/wants:

That is absolutely right. I just opened up the box and noticed that 2 handles come dissembled and that in their place are 2 screws just like in your images. So, all I have to do is get a screw for the panning handle.