PDA

View Full Version : NN5 without rotator

typhoooon
05-10-2010, 05:30 AM
I'm interested to buy a NN5 with a R-D16 rotator, and I want to know if it's possible to mount the NN5 on a ballhead without the R-D16 (to save weight during a long trek ; I will use the rotator otherwise).
I've seen that the two anti-twist pins on the lower rail can be removed, and that the center hole used to fix the NN5 on the rotator (between the two pins) is threaded. What is the thread size of this hole ? Is it a standard 1/4'' or 3/8''? In this case, I think it will be easy to mount the lower rail on a tripod or ballhead screw.

Stephane

nick fan
05-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Lower rail of NN3/5 has 3/8" socket.

nick

Bill Bailey
05-10-2010, 08:29 AM
The panning and shooting will be a bit more of a challenge. Here is a photo of a NN5 without rotator on a ball head using the ASCR plate. I also used 3/8 to 1/4 thread adapter in this example.

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/nn5_no_r.jpg

Cheers
Bill

typhoooon
05-10-2010, 08:52 AM
My idea was to use a 3/8'' QR plate mounted on a ballhead (which give me the panning ability). So the system works, that's perfect!

Thanks for the answers

Bill Bailey
05-10-2010, 09:27 AM
My idea was to use a 3/8'' QR plate mounted on a ballhead (which give me the panning ability). So the system works, that's perfect!
Thanks for the answers

As Nick noted the internal thread is 3/8 - so you can go with either size.
Also if interested we could sell you a NN5 standard rotator with interchangeable detent rings that you could use in place of the RD16. It's only about 225 grams more in weight.
Bill

John Houghton
05-10-2010, 10:38 AM
It will be difficult to maintain a constant position for the NPP using a rotating ball head. Probably won't matter if you are taking shooting landscapes, though.

John

DemonDuck
05-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm interested to buy a NN5 with a R-D16 rotator, and I want to know if it's possible to mount the NN5 on a ballhead without the R-D16 (to save weight during a long trek ;
Stephane

You would do just as well putting your NN5 on a monopod. Probably be even easier than the ballhead.