NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

Bill Bailey
04-14-2010, 05:36 AM
Well I just wanted to tell everyone some very exciting news.
We received the prototypes from Nick (some last minutes touches were needed). Myself along with the 4 visiting resellers all agree these products will certainly pave the way to fulfilling the growing demands of the panoramic photographer.

I can't show you images or tell you more just yet as we will do the official unveiling later today at the conference. We hope to have the first images up by tonight or tomorrow. Once we post the images the thread will be open to questions anyone might have.

This thread will mark the start of the public announcement - so you might want to bookmark it and watch for updates.

More soon.....

Cheers
Bill

rvdw98
04-14-2010, 05:44 AM
I can't show you images or tell you more just yet as we will do the official unveiling later today at the conference.

You cruel, cruel man... :biggrin:

andybryant
04-14-2010, 05:46 AM
yea... but he still managed to get us to look! Evil and cunning at the same time.

ThomasKrueger.eu
04-14-2010, 05:53 AM
...lousy apple tactics - see you later! :confused1:

rvdw98
04-14-2010, 05:55 AM

Ouch... a disgruntled customer? :confused1:

vermelho
04-14-2010, 06:08 AM

not quite, at least when apple tells you they have a new product, you see it in all it's glory immediately! (no vaporware!)
as a fan who has yet to buy, I'm especially antsy! But the email announcement SHOULD come when there is something to see - maybe we can blame the forum notification defaults for that!

manga23
04-14-2010, 07:29 AM
do we get one for free :ohmy: for just looking at this post ? :biggrin: :tongue_smilie: ..
I'll be back

Maggy
04-14-2010, 07:43 AM

In marketing books they call this a teaser campaign

when apple tells you they have a new product, you see it in all it's glory immediately!
iPod, iPhone, iPad were all announced after a long teaser campaign, or are we talking about apples with lice?

Gandalf
04-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi Guys,

Good news :wink:

DemonDuck
04-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Ouch... a disgruntled customer? :confused1:

Must be a European thing. Us Americans are used to it.... :-)

Castillonis
04-14-2010, 09:31 AM
I look forward to seeing what the new product. Peace : )

Vincèn
04-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Wait won't be long, be patient :biggrin: pictures and bunch of infos soon, you won't be disappointed :001_cool:

Gandalf
04-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Hey Vincèn !

So, you took the plane ?
Gandalf, francepanorama :wink:

hindenhaag
04-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Vincen,

nice to know you arrived in time and safe as one of our european members of the nodal ninja fans. :wink:

Seems to me, you already took a look below the cloth....and, at home, "I am waiting, I am waiting..." a song from the rolling stones. Seems to me they already knew about this a longer time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCKKSeNWkJQ&annotation_id=annotation_790739&feature=iv

Now to all of you, enjoy the conference, greetings to you guys over there and the NN Team, ook aan Jan van der Woning, who told me a lot about panoramaphotographie.

BTW Vincen, is this the place you are used to? Did you already find some snow? :'(

Enjoy, and I am looking forward to see some photos and panos you took in the snow desert area.

Heinz

Vincèn
04-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Hey Vincèn !
So, you took the plane ?

Hey Gandalf,

Yep right, there since a few days already :biggrin:

Vincèn

Vincèn
04-14-2010, 11:10 AM
nice to know you arrived in time and safe as one of our european members of the nodal ninja fans. :wink:
Thanks, was a really long trip from France but got a chance to adapt during these last days at local time of Tucson/Phoenix area :wink:

Seems to me, you already took a look below the cloth....
well we harrassed Bill but none success so far :biggrin:

BTW Vincen, is this the place you are used to? Did you already find some snow? :'(
Well surprising seen some last spots of snow on Mount Lemon (seen from windows of hotel's room) but it definitively changes ! so much cactus and so huge size (american size :001_cool:)

Enjoy, and I am looking forward to see some photos and panos you took in the snow desert area.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skivr/sets/72157623718163119/

Vincèn

hindenhaag
04-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Vincen,

do you think we're dancing in the street getting to know about the new products?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLub8uIo1nE&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-1r-6-HM

Heinz

Gandalf
04-14-2010, 11:16 AM
do you think we're dancing in the street getting to know about the new products?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLub8uIo1nE&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-1r-6-HM

:biggrin:

Nice pics Vincèn but not even one 360 ? :biggrin:

hindenhaag
04-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Gandalf,

wait a little bit, coming from snow to the desert takes time to get used to it, and I think he takes time to move around the table with "this special cloth", to send us pictures of the new products?

I like his pics....

Heinz

waters
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Vincen:

I hope you went across the road and took a hike up Superstition Mt. When I was there in early April one year the yellow poppies were in bloom.

Vincèn
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Nice pics Vincèn but not even one 360 ? :biggrin:

Well you know I'm not so familiar for now with all these 360º stuffs :biggrin: I need trainings first :tongue_smilie:

Vincèn
04-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I hope you went across the road and took a hike up Superstition Mt. When I was there in early April one year the yellow poppies were in bloom.

Nope didn't get time but I have seen Nodal Ninja new products bloom under the sheet :biggrin:

Vincèn

2BeCalifornian
04-14-2010, 01:40 PM
An Ipod Touch / IPad-controlled motorized pano head maybe?
That'd be sweet...

wilco23
04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I cannot wait to see it :biggrin:

vibes35
04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
:001_smile: I think i am going to really like this site!!

asiavr
04-14-2010, 06:19 PM
auto nodal ninja probably.

psj
04-14-2010, 06:57 PM
New magazine?

NodalNinjaAddict :biggrin:

riefa
04-14-2010, 09:13 PM
hmm...autorotate nodal ninja + camera control for HDR shooting maybe..:biggrin:

etegration
04-14-2010, 09:55 PM
pics pics pic?!!!

richardhc
04-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Please tell me it's a motorized Nodal Ninja!!! ::001_smile:

Seacat
04-15-2010, 03:04 AM
New magazine?

NodalNinjaAddict :biggrin:

:biggrin:

hmm...autorotate nodal ninja + camera control for HDR shooting maybe..:biggrin:

autorotate NN is not so bad! I hope so!

Gandalf
04-15-2010, 03:12 AM
Rocksolid and transparent rotator + tripod ? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Vincèn
04-15-2010, 06:18 AM
Please tell me it's a motorized Nodal Ninja!!! ::001_smile:

No it's not :wink:

Bill Bailey
04-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Hey guys - well the time draws near. I understand the disappointment in having to wait and that some are not to appreciative of advance notice. We do however like to give a couple days heads up rather than bang here it is.

We were hoping to post pics yesterday but the venue here was kind of crazy. people lost and bumping into each other, people learning where sessions/classes are being held, where the vendors are located, people still arriving late into the night etc. Now that folks have a feel for the area, had a good night sleep and things have settled we will have the time for properly displaying our new products.

Today at 12:30pm vendor displays will open for a couple of hours. This will be "our" time. And during this time we will post preliminary images here.

Thanks for your patience -

Bill

ps - hint - "modular" "tall" :biggrin:

hindenhaag
04-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi Bill,

ok we'll go on waiting.

I know these sort of conferences, as you said, a lot of "trouble" the first day, discussion till 3 or 4 in the morning with old friends, and conference starts at 8.30.... so good luck.

Cheers,
Heinz

etegration
04-15-2010, 10:42 AM
ps - hint - "modular" "tall" :biggrin:

hmmm....poles? :confused1: :biggrin:

Vincèn
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
So now we have poles, modular poles, with different sizes between 2 and 6m. 6m can be separated in two 3m poles, and you can also combine two 6m poles to get 12m pole !
For heads, a new range of heads, with complete modularity, rails can be exchanged between upper and horizontal rail with arca clamps, and specific plates for each camera so it perfectly fits on your DSLR and can not twist neither slide down from rail when you attach/detach it :001_smile:
Pictures to follow in few minutes :wink:
New accessories: flash attach on superior rail for NN5, and nadir twist attach on horizontal rail for NN5 that allows you to shoot nadir at correct height, just by twisting vertical rail 180º.

Vincèn

riefa
04-15-2010, 01:45 PM
So now we have poles, modular poles, with different sizes between 2 and 6m. 6m can be separated in two 3m poles, and you can also combine two 6m poles to get 12m pole !
For heads, a new range of heads, with complete modularity, rails can be exchanged between upper and horizontal rail with arca clamps, and specific plates for each camera so it perfectly fits on your DSLR and can not twist neither slide down from rail when you attach/detach it :001_smile:
Pictures to follow in few minutes :wink:
New accessories: flash attach on superior rail for NN5, and nadir twist attach on horizontal rail for NN5 that allows you to shoot nadir at correct height, just by twisting vertical rail 180º.

Vincèn

I was just about to go to sleep, then your post just pop my blackberry inbox..:biggrin:

will wait for the pics....and price guesstimate will be great...:wink:

*it's almost 4AM in Jakarta, Indonesia..:biggrin:*

hindenhaag
04-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi Vincen,

these are good news. Eager to see the new toys.

Thx

Heinz

Vincèn
04-15-2010, 03:22 PM
In really few minutes now pictures of new products :biggrin:

wilco23
04-15-2010, 03:27 PM
we are eagerly waiting for the new toy to let money jump out of our deep pocket :biggrin:

Kuczora
04-15-2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.cksinfo.com/clipart/signssymbols/bwsigns/waiting-room-inv.png

:001_smile:

Vincèn
04-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Pictures added in Flickr Nodal Ninja account now: http://www.flickr.com/groups/nodalninja/

Few ones: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4524565522_10b9505cb8.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/skivr/4524565522/)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4524565258_5b54a84efc.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/skivr/4524565258/)

wilco23
04-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Tada!!!!

badders
04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Here's a first panorama taken at 6m high from the new Nodal Ninja pole in the lobby of the Tucson 2010 hotel:
http://www.360tacticalvr.com/showcase/nodalninja/TucsonHall.swf[/url]

DennisS
04-15-2010, 05:49 PM
and nadir twist attach on horizontal rail for NN5 that allows you to shoot nadir at correct height, just by twisting vertical rail 180º.

I really, really want to see pictures of that adapter. Is it anyhing like this:
http://www.dlsphoto.net/NadarBracket/NewDesign/1.JPG

waters
04-15-2010, 06:27 PM
RRS with a rotator?

hindenhaag
04-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi Vincen,

just awoke, and it is a bit like "christmas" ::001_smile: Are there pictures already??

Yes...., thx for the great information. Looks interesting.

Thx again for your info.

Heinz

BTW 4.21AM :ohmy:

nick fan
04-15-2010, 07:36 PM
RRS with a rotator?

An optimized Arca Swiss compatible panoramic system. With all the goods of RRS and many more features we panographers badly in need.

Nick

nick fan
04-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Pictures added in Flickr Nodal Ninja account now: http://www.flickr.com/groups/nodalninja/

Hey, you guys forgot to mount the lens ring on the multi-row ultimate. That is a very important feature many people are looking for. :wink:

Nick

badders
04-15-2010, 09:17 PM
RRS with a rotator?

Nope - "All the Right Stuff" with a Rotator...

riefa
04-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Hi Nick & Bill...greetings from Jakarta, Indonesia..

first of all...congratulation for the launch of your new product....the pole & modular panohead is really an inovative product!

I need a bit of your opinion regarding my plan to purchase some of NN products in addition to my existing NN5.

I was planning to get the RD16 rotator, but then the news about this new product pop in in the forum, so i wait for a while.

My particular interest is about the nadir shooting, and this line from Vincen in the forum: "nadir twist attach on horizontal rail for NN5 that allows you to shoot nadir at correct height, just by twisting vertical rail 180º" really makes me curious on how it is actually implemented.
I've seen the preliminary pictures of the new products from the Tucson Conference, but still couldn't get the idea on how to use it for the nadir shooting..

My questions will be:
1. how the correct nadir shooting is actually implemented using this new modular model? or it is just an additional accessories and not part of the new modular model?

2. I am a very happy users of NN5, is it worth upgrading to the new modular model? How much will it cost?

3. It is modular...is it also offer the same stability as NN5? i'm a bit concern because of its modularity might introduce a bit of instability...i hope i'm wrong ..

4. Whats the price of the pole?

5. If i am going to buy either the new modular model / nadir twist / pole / RD16....is it possible that the shipment originated from Nick home base (Hongkong, CMIIW), just like before when i purchase the EZ-Leveler II? just to reduce shipping cost as shipping from US to Indonesia is simply too expensive for me..:001_smile:

Thanks in advance for your response.. I know maybe currently both of you are still busy due to the Tucson conference, so I understand if the reply is a bit delayed..

Cheers,
Riefa

Vincèn
04-15-2010, 11:27 PM
1. how the correct nadir shooting is actually implemented using this new modular model? or it is just an additional accessories and not part of the new modular model?
In fact, with that accessory, as you have probably seen on pictures, you can twist vertical arm of NN5 180º so it allows you to get your camera pointing the floor out of tripod, then just offset your tripod on floor so you camera is above nadir and then shot !

2. I am a very happy users of NN5, is it worth upgrading to the new modular model? How much will it cost?
Price is not yet avalaible for now, please be patient :wink:

3. It is modular...is it also offer the same stability as NN5? i'm a bit concern because of its modularity might introduce a bit of instability...i hope i'm wrong ..
No changes, it keeps really stable, as all pieces fit perfectly together so no move between them :biggrin:

Already answered :wink: not yet avalaible...

5. If i am going to buy either the new modular model / nadir twist / pole / RD16....is it possible that the shipment originated from Nick home base (Hongkong, CMIIW), just like before when i purchase the EZ-Leveler II? just to reduce shipping cost as shipping from US to Indonesia is simply too expensive for me..:001_smile:
Bill will answer you for that point :wink:

Vincèn

nick fan
04-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I need a bit of your opinion regarding my plan to purchase some of NN products in addition to my existing NN5.

I was planning to get the RD16 rotator, but then the news about this new product pop in in the forum, so i wait for a while.

RD16 is part of the Ultimate system. So no problem if you upgrade now.

My particular interest is about the nadir shooting, and this line from Vincen in the forum: "nadir twist attach on horizontal rail for NN5 that allows you to shoot nadir at correct height, just by twisting vertical rail 180º" really makes me curious on how it is actually implemented.
I've seen the preliminary pictures of the new products from the Tucson Conference, but still couldn't get the idea on how to use it for the nadir shooting..:001_smile:
you will see more demos and pictures later on.

My questions will be:
the adapter is for NN3/5. Not for the modular system which will has its own nadir adapter.

no price yet.

3. It is modular...is it also offer the same stability as NN5? i'm a bit concern because of its modularity might introduce a bit of instability...i hope i'm wrong ..:001_smile:
There are many possible configuration. The extreme one is stronger and heavier than NN5.

no price yet.

5. If i am going to buy either the new modular model / nadir twist / pole / RD16....is it possible that the shipment originated from you (Hongkong, CMIIW), just like before when i purchase the EZ-Leveler II? just to reduce shipping cost as shipping from US is simply too expensive..:wink:

YOu can find a reseller in Asia. I don't sell products normally.

nick

DorinDXN
04-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Hi Bill and Nick.

Congrats for the new prototypes. I'm 100% sure them are for the panographers needs. Why I'm so sure? because I'm curently using something similar with some of your new toll presented.
I'v done thousands of panos at livepanoramas.com and curently my gear looks like this
http://www.livepanoramas.com/gear/gear.jpg
bu it keeps changing form a day to another, however at this stage in this shape looks very promissing and seems to bee what I need, mine is modular too It can be very short and mounted on the tripod it can reach 5m tall.
I very happy to know that is a panoramic tools manufacturer which make something like this available out from the box.

cheers
Dorin

Well I just wanted to tell everyone some very exciting news.
We received the prototypes from Nick (some last minutes touches were needed). Myself along with the 4 visiting resellers all agree these products will certainly pave the way to fulfilling the growing demands of the panoramic photographer.

I can't show you images or tell you more just yet as we will do the official unveiling later today at the conference. We hope to have the first images up by tonight or tomorrow. Once we post the images the thread will be open to questions anyone might have.

This thread will mark the start of the public announcement - so you might want to bookmark it and watch for updates.

More soon.....

Cheers
Bill

riefa
04-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Nick, Vincèn,

Thanks a lot for the replies.

In fact, with that accessory, as you have probably seen on pictures, you can twist vertical arm of NN5 180º so it allows you to get your camera pointing the floor out of tripod, then just offset your tripod on floor so you camera is above nadir and then shot !

So to my understanding, this adapter will greatly improve the success rate of using viewpoint correction method at PTGui for patching the nadir? or maybe 'eliminate' the use of viewpoint correction if we could manage to position the camera EXACTLY above nadir?...this is great..:biggrin:
looking forward for more picture & demos on this accessories..:wink:

YOu can find a reseller in Asia. I don't sell products normally.
nick

Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, are three nearest reseller i can find at the reseller page, and referring to their websites, they do not have RD-16 displayed on their web...and i'm assuming they don't have stocks, because they also don't display the price..:001_smile: I can understand this because maybe not many people at in their coverage area is looking for that particular product.
The next one nearby is Australia, they do have RD-16, but the price is quite high...not yet calculating the shipping cost to Indonesia..:001_smile:
So i guess i have to find a workaround for this issue...maybe finding a friend who might be planning to travel to HK or US, and ask them a favor to buy the product..:001_smile:

And for the pricing of this particular nadir adapter (and also other new products)...i'll wait...patiently..:biggrin:

Cheers,
Riefa

nick fan
04-16-2010, 01:08 AM
Hi Bill and Nick.

Congrats for the new prototypes. I'm 100% sure them are for the panographers needs. Why I'm so sure? because I'm curently using something similar with some of your new toll presented.
I'v done thousands of panos at livepanoramas.com and curently my gear looks like this
http://www.livepanoramas.com/gear/gear.jpg
bu it keeps changing form a day to another, however at this stage in this shape looks very promissing and seems to bee what I need, mine is modular too It can be very short and mounted on the tripod it can reach 5m tall.
I very happy to know that is a panoramic tools manufacturer which make something like this available out from the box.

Hi Dorin,

Nice job in your design.
Our long pole will be much stronger than stacking 2 monopods together. They are carbon fiber tubes. The biggest tube has a diameter of about ~40mm.
You see the poles, R1/10 and lens ring mounts form an integrated system. My next (in fact one of many) job is a dedicated base rotator for pole/ monopod.

Nick

nick fan
04-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, are three nearest reseller i can find at the reseller page, and referring to their websites, they do not have RD-16 displayed on their web...and i'm assuming they don't have stocks, because they also don't display the price..:001_smile: I can understand this because maybe not many people at in their coverage area is looking for that particular product.

Just ask them to order one for you. Turn around time is less than 2 weeks.

NIck

DorinDXN
04-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Hi Nick I'm sure that the NN pole is way stronger that my improvisation. As there are in protoype stage I think some from my experience is worth to post here as it may helps.

I think is need for a pole base instead of a dedicated rotator, say if you make a pole base like a small but thick tripod in such way to provide as little flex as possible, then design a way to put/mount an rotator under (between the legs) the mechanic stress will be supported by the pole base and the already great rotators you have will provide only the stop position, i.e. the stress will be not on rotator but on the base.

Also is important how short and tall the rigg can be and, sometimes, how many seconds takes from a short (or regular) extent to the tallest and, how small rigg is unmounted ready for carring.
A quick extendable rigg from 1 m (kids) up to 3.5 m people seen form above, like in amphyteathre) is gold for the indoor events

cheers,
Dorin

waters
04-16-2010, 05:23 AM
I can relate to the design process; there are only so many ways to reinvent the wheel! The new design does allow more flexibility. Is the QR clamp on top of RD 16 ( or 8 etc. ) the anticipated solution to quickly swapping the R10 from monopod to tripod mounted RD8? It surprises me that RRS has not added a click stop rotator to their setup.

Kuczora
04-16-2010, 06:21 AM
What an awesome products!

I'm looking forward to ordering :biggrin:

greetings from Mexico

nick fan
04-16-2010, 08:30 AM
I think is need for a pole base instead of a dedicated rotator, say if you make a pole base like a small but thick tripod in such way to provide as little flex as possible, then design a way to put/mount an rotator under (between the legs) the mechanic stress will be supported by the pole base and the already great rotators you have will provide only the stop position, i.e. the stress will be not on rotator but on the base.

I will integrate a rotator to the pole base. The rotator will be optimized for the pole and have environmental seal.

Nick

nick fan
04-16-2010, 08:34 AM
I can relate to the design process; there are only so many ways to reinvent the wheel! The new design does allow more flexibility.

All Arca Swiss compatible systems are very similar. They are based on the same standard. However, our system is the only one that is dedicated for panographers. You will see more in the coming months. You will see every important feature that a panographer has ever dreamt of be implemented in NN Ultimate.

Is the QR clamp on top of RD 16 ( or 8 etc. ) the anticipated solution to quickly swapping the R10 from monopod to tripod mounted RD8?

We have a Quick Mount Adapter for R1/10 and our poles. This adapter also works for RD8/16.

Nick

waters
04-16-2010, 11:32 AM
I guess it will be a few days before the new stuff is up on the site?

Bill Bailey
04-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Conference update:
The new products are a big hit! People had a chance to play with the products hands on enjoy the flexibility and ability to build and customize a system to meet their needs. The poles brought tremendous attention and these new items will also fill needs of those with interest in pole photographer. Excuse the informal unveiling shots - once we return we will take better product shots to better display these new items.
I really want to give a special thanks to Vincen, Andrew, Dennis, Rob and Mauro for their assistance in explaining these new products and also helping others to setup Nodal Ninja's and how to use them - thanks guys!

Back to the conference.....
Cheers
Bill

DennisS
04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
You will see every important feature that a panographer has ever dreamt of be implemented in NN Ultimate.

Ring mount NN5 adapter?

bigwade
04-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Ring mount NN5 adapter?

:-)

nick fan
04-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Ring mount NN5 adapter?

NN5 is not a member of NN Ultimate. Making an adapter is no problem if I still get this requests after the Ultimate is available. I don't see a huge benefit to use a lens ring on NN5. Overall bulk is the same.
NN3 is more problematic as we have a few batches using different sized parts. Compatibility may be an issue.

Nick

DorinDXN
04-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Hey, you guys forgot to mount the lens ring on the multi-row ultimate. That is a very important feature many people are looking for. :wink:

Nick

I'm one of those many people :001_smile: is there a pic of the lens ring on multi-row ultimate?

cheers,
Dorin

Vincèn
04-17-2010, 05:29 AM
I'm one of those many people :001_smile: is there a pic of the lens ring on multi-row ultimate?

Not right now, but we'll post more shots once back from Tucson :wink:

Sam Rohn
04-18-2010, 06:26 PM
maybe i missed it, but is there an estimate on price and when this new gear will be avail for purchase ?

Vincèn
04-18-2010, 09:00 PM
maybe i missed it, but is there an estimate on price and when this new gear will be avail for purchase ?

No estimate on price for now, avalaibility for june/july, more details to follow when they'll be avalaible :wink:

Vincèn

nick fan
04-18-2010, 10:33 PM
No estimate on price for now, avalaibility for june/july, more details to follow when they'll be avalaible :wink:

Vincèn

Hey Vincen, you think I am not busy enough? Don't push me too hard. :wink:
I hope some of the models will be available in July.

Nick

Bill Bailey
04-19-2010, 05:45 AM

True to form when the products due become available they will be very competitively priced offering best value for dollar :biggrin:

Bill

DennisS
04-19-2010, 07:24 PM
So where are all the great high res photos? I have seen the first 34 or so on Flickr and am not impressed with the pictures. As someone else said, were there not any photographers there? Do we have to wait for July when the stuff goes on sale?

Vincèn
04-19-2010, 07:58 PM
So where are all the great high res photos? I have seen the first 34 or so on Flickr and am not impressed with the pictures. As someone else said, were there not any photographers there? Do we have to wait for July when the stuff goes on sale?

Well conditions were far from optimal for products photographies during the conference and very overbusy, but you'll get some new better pictures soon for sure :wink:

Vincèn

Bill Bailey
04-20-2010, 07:06 AM

Hi Dennis,
Like Vincen mentioned the conference was crazy busy and we were unable to setup for higher resolution images. Plus we only had small window of opportunity to show these new toys to the public during the conference.

We have finally returned and unpacked all the gear. Now we need to clean the stuff up and prepare them for better product images - maybe by weeks end.
Thank you very much for your patience.

Bill

Bill Bailey
04-22-2010, 11:17 AM
OK - here are few better quality images of the new modular system.
We'll add more soon...

note to Nick: please modify post as needed to append description to images.

Bill

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/modA.swf
back - play - pause - forward

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_a_1_640.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_a_640.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_acc_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_a_lr15_ura_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_a_lr16_ura_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_a_vr1_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_a_lr15a_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_a_lr15_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_a_lr19_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_a_lr19a_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/rd3L_AC_a_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/rd16_AC_a_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_a_ac1_650.jpg

Flashificator
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm impressed!

This looks like a great set, and I am sure that some of the arms could fit the original Merlin (automatic head) crown... at least without too much extra work/parts. Maybe a couple of hard rubber strips on the sides.

If that is the case, I am sure that many Merlin users would be all over you! I have still not finished making my Merlin head ready, the final thing is because of the crown/arm issue.

Looking forward to this becoming available.

Thanks for keep on evolving the products and listen to the back-land!

Trausti

Bill Bailey
04-22-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm impressed!
This looks like a great set, and I am sure that some of the arms could fit the original Merlin (automatic head) crown... at least without too much extra work/parts. Maybe a couple of hard rubber strips on the sides.
If that is the case, I am sure that many Merlin users would be all over you! I have still not finished making my Merlin head ready, the final thing is because of the crown/arm issue.
Looking forward to this becoming available.
Thanks for keep on evolving the products and listen to the back-land!
Trausti

Hey Trausti - firstly let me welcome you to our forum. For those of you that do not know Trausti is developer of Flashificator - the easy to use GUI for Flash Panorama Player - (http://flashificator.com/).

I too would be curious to learn about possible cross compatibility with other products. This is only the first of 3 series which will be due out later this year.
Cheers
Bill

NorthBayPanos
04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Ahh yes New products worth the wait I believe.

Bill Bailey
04-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Ahh yes New products worth the wait I believe.

Welcome to the forum and many thanks for the assist at the conference.
Bill

Flashificator
04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Thank you for the welcome and introduction :001_smile: I have been a member of the forums for quite some time, only lurking in the shadows.

Images #6 and #7 (counting from the bottom and up) depict the short arm... can you confirm the measurements of it being

160mm long
38mm wide
10mm thick

If that is the case, it should be possible to use it with the Merlin crown only adding rubber strips at the sides.... but probably depending on camera lens combo.

A 160 mm long arm is the longest possible for the Merlin head, without modifications (so that the vertical arm can travel 360° freely)

But this Merlin part of the discussion should probably be placed somewhere else in the forums...

Thanks again.

Trausti

nick fan
04-23-2010, 12:18 AM
OK - here are few better quality images of the new modular system.
We'll add more soon...

You should add photos showing how to use lens rings on the pano head. They are the simpliest configuration and will be the first models we sell.

Nick

hindenhaag
04-23-2010, 02:20 AM
Welcome Trausti to nodal ninja forum.

Bill, he is not only the developer of flashificator, but one of the busiest guys on the panoguide forum with lots of great hints.

Regards,

Heinz

zenalien
04-23-2010, 03:39 AM
Hey .. well done.. it looks very good !!

Terrywoodenpic
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I love what I am seeing... I take it the groove in vertical rail is for further attachments, that we have not seen yet. (lens rings??)

Very well done Nick.

Bill Bailey
04-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Here are some quickie photos showing how you can use lens ring clamps on the system and also how are you are able to take the down shot.
Shown - D300 w/ Samyang Lens

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_rd3Lb_Sam_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_rd3L_Sam_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_rd3La_Sam_650.jpg

Bill

Bill Bailey
04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
I love what I am seeing... I take it the groove in vertical rail is for further attachments, that we have not seen yet. (lens rings??)

Very well done Nick.

Multiple configurations are possible. The Arca style components makes for greater versatility. We will start by offering base systems and the user can customize based on specific needs.
Bill

DennisS
04-24-2010, 09:52 AM
With the release of your new modular system, will this mean the end of the NN5 line of pano heads?

Bill Bailey
04-24-2010, 10:16 AM
With the release of your new modular system, will this mean the end of the NN5 line of pano heads?

This depends on if people stop buying the NN5 and if it losses it's popularity once the newer systems come into production.
Bill

Sam Rohn
04-24-2010, 03:13 PM
i'm curious about the size & weight difference between the new gear & NN5, i pretty much only shoot panos with one body (upgraded every few years) & lens configuration, and i like to travel light...

are there any pics of the new head & NN5 side by side ?

is there a weight estimate on the new head in a simple configuration similar to NN5 ? (i know there will be many possible set ups w the new system)

im sure i'm gonna want one anyway, but i don't think this will kill the market for NN5 if the NN5 is still smaller, lighter & cheaper

congrats on the new gear, cant wait to see it in person :001_smile:

sam

nick fan
04-24-2010, 07:39 PM

No, there is no plan to stop the NN3/5 series. We just make 2 more accessories for them. One is nadir adapter, the other is a flash mount for mounting flash on the upper rail.

Nodal Ninja and Nodal Ninja Ultimate will always co-exist. They have different appeals to customers. Nodal Ninja is our cost effective solution. Nodal Ninja Ultimate is our best quality most advanced solution. Cost is not my concern in the Ultimate design.

Nick

marquee
04-25-2010, 06:21 PM
does the ultimate line stay the same or will it be made modular for all those who want to use it on poles as well as be used on regular tripods
or would the new system be configured to sit on poles as well?

nick fan
04-25-2010, 08:36 PM
does the ultimate line stay the same or will it be made modular for all those who want to use it on poles as well as be used on regular tripods
or would the new system be configured to sit on poles as well?

You can remove the lower rotator and mount the clamp on the pole to save weight on the pole. For best result, use a lens ring on R1/10 instead.

Nick

Bill Bailey
04-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Here is the Nadir Adapter Nick designed and developed. This is for use with NN5 and fits on lower rail.
It's easy to use - first attach to lower end of vertical rail then attach to lower rail of NN5 using the standard vertical rail mounting knob. After you shot your sequence of shots and ready to shoot the nadir simply loosen the nadir adapter using locking lever and rotate the vertical rail 180 degrees then tighten. It is good to use a reference point on ground as you will need to move the tripod assembly slightly so the lens is pointed directly over the original point of rotation.

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/nadir_adapter_a_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/nadir_adapter_b_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/nadir_adapter_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/nadir_nn5b_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/nadir_nn5c_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/nadir_nn5_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/nadir_nn5a_650.jpg

Not sure yet exact date of availability or pricing.

Bill

Mr_Q8ty
04-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Can't wait for the Nadir Adapter. Excellent product.

:001_smile:

marquee
04-27-2010, 01:09 AM
when did you say would that be available, :001_smile:
Also can't wait for the modular R1 and the extra poles.

worthy update to a great product

nick fan
04-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Here is the Nadir Adapter Nick designed and developed. This is for use with NN5 and fits on lower rail.
It's easy to use - first attach to lower end of vertical rail then attach to lower rail of NN5 using the standard vertical rail mounting knob. After you shot your sequence of shots and ready to shoot the nadir simply loosen the nadir adapter using locking lever and rotate the vertical rail 180 degrees then tighten. It is good to use a reference point on ground as you will need to move the tripod assembly slightly so the lens is pointed directly over the original point of rotation.
Not sure yet exact date of availability or pricing.

We will make limited number by CNC machining. Target price is $49.95. Introductory price for $39.95. Available in May 2010.
Then we will mass product it by die casting. Target price is ~$35.

Nick

DennisS
04-27-2010, 06:51 AM
It would appear that the distance from the center of the lens to the center of the pivot is about 4.625 inches. Double that and you get 9.25 inches. That would be the distance you would need to shift your rig over in order to get the camera back over the original centerline. I set two small rulers on the ground to help with the shift. Maybe Nick can make plastic spacers that can easily be carried? No sharp edges otherwise airport security might get overly excited. Prior to using the Nadir patch shot, you will need to rotate the image 180 degrees in Photoshop (or your favorite image editing software) in order to get it oriented correctly with the rest of the images. Instructions for applying the patch can be found here: http://www.dlsphoto.net/Tutorials/NadirPatch2/index.htm Nice product with an even nicer price point. Every NN5 owner should get one of these. Can't wait to see how Nick implimented the swivel for the modular system.

hindenhaag
04-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi DennisS,

thx a lot for your thread and your brainstorming a year ago.

Before I move my tripod for the nadir shot, I usually place a coin directly under the center column of the tripod. Either I use this coin to focus to with the viewpoint correction version of the nadir, or I place my lens directly on top of the coin to do it -90°.

Or you could make yourself a string with this specific distance, easily to be put away besides the camera.

Cheers

Heinz

Flashificator
04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty sure to have the solution to the moving of the tripod in a perfect, easy and fast way. Both on floors and level ground. I will initially try to make some real life tests (will be crude, since I do not have access to good materials or machinery)... if it turns out well, I will share the concept with Bill.

DennisS
04-27-2010, 02:47 PM
I usually place a coin directly under the center column

Thanks for the earlier compliment. I have spent a lot of time thinking about this and designing a solution. I am so glad that Nick is producing it.

I started out doing the coin thing. Actually, I just used my lens cap. It does require you spending more time adjusting the tripod, looking through the viewer, moving the tripod, repeat until lined up. the problem becomes not rotating the tripod when you move it. Alignment does not have to be perfect, but it does need to be as close as you can get it. Using string as a gage sounds like a very low tech solution that would work very well. I will have to give it a try. I will probably use some stiffer cord. Anything to speed up the process without carrying more things.

Bill Bailey
04-27-2010, 04:46 PM
With the Nadir Adapter I just use my foot as marker- putting my toe at the center point of rotation then moving back the tripod so the lens is now over my toe . You don't need to be spot on as the software will allow you to tweak a bit left or right up or down. The more important concern addressed is in keeping the height the same as well as maintaining stability as with HDR.

Bill

DennisS
04-27-2010, 05:46 PM
You don't need to be spot on as the software will allow you to tweak a bit left or right up or down. The more important concern addressed is in keeping the height the same as well as maintaining stability as with HDR.
I have found the more accurately you reposition the tripod, the better the stitch will go. While software does allow you to adjust, I am finding myself tweaking the patch shot in Photoshop prior to stitching. I have had to take two patch shots at 45 degrees offset in an attempt to deal with tripod shadows. That makes stitching a bit more difficult. The final result is worth the effort.

You are absolutly correct that the most important part is keeping the camera level and at the same height. Positioning errors can be more easily corrected than height errors.

Bill Bailey
04-27-2010, 06:37 PM
I have found the more accurately you reposition the tripod, the better the stitch will go. While software does allow you to adjust, I am finding myself tweaking the patch shot in Photoshop prior to stitching. I have had to take two patch shots at 45 degrees offset in an attempt to deal with tripod shadows. That makes stitching a bit more difficult. The final result is worth the effort.

You are absolutly correct that the most important part is keeping the camera level and at the same height. Positioning errors can be more easily corrected than height errors.

agreed - the more work you do at time of shoot the less work you do in post production. How many times have we all gone down that road? I know I have more than I like to admit.

Bill

DemonDuck
04-27-2010, 09:37 PM
With the Nadir Adapter I just use my foot as marker- putting my toe at the center point of rotation then moving back the tripod so the lens is now over my toe . You don't need to be spot on as the software will allow you to tweak a bit left or right up or down. The more important concern addressed is in keeping the height the same as well as maintaining stability as with HDR.

Bill

Your adapter is a good idea for indoors and outdoors on flat surfaces. In the rough, the best way is to pinch the legs of the tripod into a monopod and raise the center column so that when the tripod is moved and tilted back over the original center of the pano sphere, the height of the camera is about the same. Moving the tripod only can work in some situations outdoors.

Also, a good markesr for outdoors are dry beans. Sprinkle a few around the center of the nadir before the bottom shot and then you will have a bunch of biodegradable markers to put control points on. Don't have to pick them up.

psj
04-28-2010, 03:04 AM
We will make limited number by CNC machining. Target price is $49.95. Introductory price for $39.95. Available in May 2010.

Nick

What about NN3?

nick fan
04-28-2010, 05:43 AM
What about NN3?

The adapter works for both NN3 and 5.

Nick

Macro
04-28-2010, 06:07 AM
Also, a good markesr for outdoors are dry beans. Sprinkle a few around the center of the nadir before the bottom shot and then you will have a bunch of biodegradable markers to put control points on. Don't have to pick them up.

Hah! Beans - nice idea!
I use small coins. If I happen to miss one, someone will pick it up!

panorama-kontor
05-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Hi!
It seems to be a little bit quiet here in the last couple of days.

Is there anything in sight? Maybe something like a release day for the new products? :wink:

Sorry, for being that impatient!

I’m very excited since you dropped the announcement here and I can’t wait to hear UPS ringing my doorbell and I can open the box.

Maybe all this will cost me a fortune, but I’m glad that there is a manufacturer who is listening to the users and tries to build and develop great gear which is matching their needs.

Thanks,
Andreas

Vincèn
05-09-2010, 12:32 AM
It seems to be a little bit quiet here in the last couple of days.
Is there anything in sight? Maybe something like a release day for the new products? :wink:
Sorry, for being that impatient!
I’m very excited since you dropped the announcement here and I can’t wait to hear UPS ringing my doorbell and I can open the box.
Maybe all this will cost me a fortune, but I’m glad that there is a manufacturer who is listening to the users and tries to build and develop great gear which is matching their needs.

Hi Andreas,

I understand you, and we are all the same, waiting to receive these new products and be able to play and use them :001_smile: Unhappy for now we have to be patient as I think first stuffs to be avalaible will be during summer probably :wink: In the meantime you can print pictures of products on paper and get a paper 3D version :biggrin:

Vincèn

panorama-kontor
05-09-2010, 03:35 AM
In the meantime you can print pictures of products on paper and get a paper 3D version :biggrin:

Hi Vincèn!

Good idea! But in the meantime I bought a Canon 7D instead to play with :wink:

Yes, big boys and their toys!

Unfortunately I am not patient. Not at all!!

Thanks,
Andreas

Vincèn
05-09-2010, 04:07 AM
Unfortunately I am not patient. Not at all!!

You should have definitively come at Tucson mid-april, you would have had chance to see prototype in real and touch them :biggrin: :biggrin: :wink: :001_cool: it was really worthwile the travel to Tucson :tongue_smilie:

panorama-kontor
05-09-2010, 06:59 AM
You should have definitively come at Tucson mid-april, you would have had chance to see prototype in real and touch them :biggrin: :biggrin: :wink: :001_cool: it was really worthwile the travel to Tucson :tongue_smilie:

No way! It would have been too painful for me to leave the NN stuff in the exhibition and going back to Germany with empty pockets afterwards.

I'm thinking more and more about travelling to HK for visiting Nick. There I will go on his nerves until he is pushing the production :wink:

Vincèn
05-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm thinking more and more about travelling to HK for visiting Nick. There I will go on his nerves until he is pushing the production :wink:

Don't do travel, Nick has a permanent body-guard to prevent him to be harrassed by impatient customers :biggrin: :001_cool: :tongue_smilie:

badders
05-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Don't do travel, Nick has a permanent body-guard to prevent him to be harrassed by impatient customers :biggrin: :001_cool: :tongue_smilie:

Is he a Ninja?

Vincèn
05-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Is he a Ninja?

Oups an industrial secret leaked :biggrin: pole will include samurai in it :wink:

hindenhaag
05-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Just heard from my neighbor a TNT guy was trying to deliver new products of NN, but I was absent. What do rumors tell, anything on delivery yet?

Knowing Nick and Bill a time, it is worth waiting, and all of us should consider Nick, it is not so long to get the new products comparing to Microsoft, Apple, DxO, to get their homework done.
:'(

I am feeling like empty, without the new products, really, >:sad:, will it be delivered earlier setting pressure and rumors?

Yes!!! Uiiissshhh! NO!!

Ok, I'll wait, but be sure, I am having an eye on my TNT guy!!!!

Heinz

Bill Bailey
05-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Hey these poles are great!! - oh sorry - forgot you guys don't have them yet :tongue_smilie:
Not to worry - they are only prototypes that even "I" will have to return to Nick soon :sad:
But until then I'm playing with them as much as possible.
Cheers

Bill

Vincèn
05-09-2010, 10:11 PM
:-\ :ohmy: :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

DennisS
05-09-2010, 11:25 PM

Bill is out playing with his pole! In public? (Sorry, I could not resist any longer)

panorama-kontor
05-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Hey these poles are great!! - oh sorry - forgot you guys don't have them yet :tongue_smilie:
Not to worry - they are only prototypes that even "I" will have to return to Nick soon :sad:
Cheers

Bill

Thanks Bill! You made my day!

Enjoy your play stuff, but don't let me know!

That's rude :wink:

Andreas

Castillonis
05-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Okay, you guys need to tell the story when Matthias was capturing a 360 pano with his pole in northern Arizona with Andrew before the conference. Pretty funny : )

I cannot wait to capture 360 panos with a rotator at the base and my camera stable at a higher elevation. Boy... its difficult to choose words that do not imply things : )

TerryUSA
05-18-2010, 04:47 AM

Nick

Any information about where I can order the Nadir attachment?

Thanks, Terry

Vincèn
05-18-2010, 04:58 AM

Not yet avalaible :'(

nick fan
05-18-2010, 05:39 AM

Thanks, Terry

It should hit the store in a week.

nick

Bill Bailey
05-18-2010, 08:35 AM
It should hit the store in a week.
nick

The Nadir Adapters are in!!
http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n-3-5-nadir.htm
"Very" limited initial supply.
Bill

TerryUSA
05-18-2010, 07:18 PM
The Nadir Adapters are in!!
http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n-3-5-nadir.htm
"Very" limited initial supply.
Bill

My order is in I hope it was quick enough to get the one of the "Very" limited ones.
If it can save me a little work then it is well worth the price.
,Terry McCoy

Bill Bailey
05-19-2010, 05:16 AM
My order is in I hope it was quick enough to get the one of the "Very" limited ones.
If it can save me a little work then it is well worth the price.
,Terry McCoy

Hi Terry - unfortunately we sold out before your order came in. This would have been noted in the store at time you placed the order and also printed on your invoice with new expected ship date.
Nick is actually making these pre-production nadir adapters individually until he is able to ramp up full production flow. With so many people waiting on the side lines it took only one day to sell out of the hand full we received. Because of limited supply this forum is the only place we made announcement.
On a more positive note at least you're near the top of the queue. So if an order is canceled or the next lot comes in early you'll be one the first to go out. With the orders still coming in I can see the next lot selling out quickly as well but you're secure.
Thank you for your patience.
Bill

waters
05-19-2010, 06:11 PM
The images of the new swivel adapter make it appear that one would lose precious room at the end of the lower arm. Is the adapter mounted backwards? Many NN3 users already have the vertical rail almost at the end.

nick fan
05-19-2010, 08:40 PM
The images of the new swivel adapter make it appear that one would lose precious room at the end of the lower arm. Is the adapter mounted backwards? Many NN3 users already have the vertical rail almost at the end.

Hmm, that seems an easy problem to spot out, isn't it? :wink:
No, there is no problem to use the full length of lower rail. However, the adapter will swing the center of gravity much further than lower rail will allow, thus increasing the strain on the lower rail. I will only recommend using it for fisheye lens on NN3.

nick

TerryUSA
05-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Could you explain the difference in the CNC vs the later made Cast aluminum parts?

Is there any cosmetic or structural differences? I just want to make sure it would not be better to wait on the mass produced parts. I always have to have the latest and greatest toys, but I know sometimes it may be better to wait.

My last toy a CZ P-07 9mm gun was purchased right after it was released and it had several problems that were worked out in later runs.

Just being curious, Terry

DennisS
05-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Could you explain the difference in the CNC vs the later made Cast aluminum parts?

CNC = Computer Numerical Control. A computer and servo motors are hooked up to a mill or lathe. A machinist writes a program to make a part. The machine is very accurate at positioning the tool repeatedly at the same point. You still have to know how to machine a part.

Cast aluminum is a way of constructing parts using a hollow cavity and melted aluminum. Engine blocks are about the best example of a cast part. Casting, when done right, yields very good parts. I think all of the NN3 and NN5 rails are cast (Nick, correct me if I am wrong here).

The cost of CNC is much higher than casting for production parts. Prototypes are almost always cnc'd. The quality is not necessarily lower with casting. Many small gun parts are high precision castings. Car rims are a lot of times cast. Casting is a good way to manufacture quality parts at the lowest costs possible.

Unless you now what to look for, a non machinist will probably not be able to tell the difference between the CNC made swivel and a casted swivel. No worries.

nick fan
05-20-2010, 12:53 AM

CNC machined version can be anodized and has better and more durable finishing.
Die cast version use an alloy which is not good for anodizing. so they are painted. Finishing is less durable.
As a matter of fact, we continue to tweak the design based on feedback and suggestions from early users. It is not uncommon that a product gets minor enhancements in later batches.

Nick

Bill Bailey
05-20-2010, 05:14 PM
CNC = Computer Numerical Control. A computer and servo motors are hooked up to a mill or lathe. A machinist writes a program to make a part. The machine is very accurate at positioning the tool repeatedly at the same point. You still have to know how to machine a part.

Cast aluminum is a way of constructing parts using a hollow cavity and melted aluminum. Engine blocks are about the best example of a cast part. Casting, when done right, yields very good parts. I think all of the NN3 and NN5 rails are cast (Nick, correct me if I am wrong here).

The cost of CNC is much higher than casting for production parts. Prototypes are almost always cnc'd. The quality is not necessarily lower with casting. Many small gun parts are high precision castings. Car rims are a lot of times cast. Casting is a good way to manufacture quality parts at the lowest costs possible.

Unless you now what to look for, a non machinist will probably not be able to tell the difference between the CNC made swivel and a casted swivel. No worries.

Thanks for that DennisS - we need a post with good explanation of the processing. Many people do not realize why some things have higher cost than others. And then you have to also factor in the cost of buying these machines - they are not cheap!
cheers
Bill

Bill Bailey
05-20-2010, 05:16 PM
CNC machined version can be anodized and has better and more durable finishing.
Die cast version use an alloy which is not good for anodizing. so they are painted. Finishing is less durable.
As a matter of fact, we continue to tweak the design based on feedback and suggestions from early users. It is not uncommon that a product gets minor enhancements in later batches.
Nick

And we also get the occasional customer asking if our pano heads come in different colors :001_smile:

Bill

DennisS
05-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for that DennisS - we need a post with good explanation of the processing. Many people do not realize why some things have higher cost than others. And then you have to also factor in the cost of buying these machines - they are not cheap!
cheers
Bill
(This is not really directed at Bill, but more for information sake.)
The biggest reasons one of your competitor’s pano head is so expensive is because they do not make enough pieces each time they set up the CNC machine in order to bring the final cost down. There is a cost in just setting up the machine. The more pieces you make, the more you spread out the cost of the set up between each piece. Once a machine is set up, you can run 1 part or 10,000 parts. The set up cost is the same. Unfortunately if you do not sell all the parts, you end up sitting on the inventory for longer than planned. That is something called planning.

The same thing is true for casting. The time it takes to set up the casting machine is the same, no matter how many parts you run. The difference is that casting a part is so much cheaper than machining a part. If you design a casted part correctly, it comes out of the mold completed (except for deburring and painting).

Nick has made a small run of the swivels using CNC fabrication. That gets the part to market. If enough people buy the swivel, and demand continues, casting becomes a very attractive alternative. Making a mold can cost $10,000 (+ or - a few K) and up. That cost needs to be spread out over the parts that get made during the life of the mold. Some molds do wear out and need to be repaired or replaced.

The previously mentioned competition (whose name cannot be said) CNC everything. Nothing is cast. While I have never used one, I am quite sure their pano head is a thing of beauty and works great. The cost, however, puts the price out of way too many people's hands.

For those of you who have seen my pano head, it takes me two days to manually machine the parts on my old WW2 Bridgeport mill. If I had a modern day mill, I could get that done in 1/2 the time and probably make 5 of them at once. For me to take the time to play in my garage in order to make my own stuff, time is not an issue. To start producing the pano head for market, that is a completely different story. Who out there would pay me for two days worth of labor plus the bit you would still have to purchase from Bill? Nobody would. About a dozen people have asked me, but are not willing to pay. No biggie. Nick has finally produced the design (ring mount, 180 swivel). I can't wait until it finally goes on sale. I may just break down and buy one.

Sorry to go on and on about machining parts. Machining is a hobby of mine (it was my profession for over 15 years). Photography is a hobby but does not pay the bills. I am just not good enough and there is way too much competition.

panorama-kontor
05-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Thanks DennisS, for these explanations!

Most of it I already knew. But it is very interesting for me (German) to read all these specific, not daily used, idioms in English.

I guess that there is another competitor in Germany with the same problem regarding the price and low amount of pieces in cnc production. But this is another story. :wink:

Cheers,

Andreas

gt_nninja
06-01-2010, 07:42 AM
It's probably inconsequential to the design and usage of what we're talking about but my impression was that machined parts are generally more durable than those that are from casting?

George

nick fan
06-01-2010, 08:34 AM
It's probably inconsequential to the design and usage of what we're talking about but my impression was that machined parts are generally more durable than those that are from casting?

George

true for our products.

nick

gt_nninja
06-04-2010, 04:57 PM
OK. I just got my nadir adapter just arrived and I have it on the NN5. Any tips on its use? How far do you move the tripod? Is it critical that the camera is "restored" to its original position when taking the nadir shot? Any & all tips appreciated to cut down on the trial & error cycle.

George

DennisS
06-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Measure from the center line of the pivot point to the center line of the lens. Double that and you have the amount you will need to move the tripod over. Using your favorite graphics editing software, you will need to rotate the patch shot 180 degrees so it will line up with the Nadir shot.

http://www.dlsphoto.net/Tutorials/NadirPatch2/index.htm

Make sure you orient your tripod and pano head correctly before you start. Go to the above link and you will see what your pictures should look. In order to orient my pano head, I had to use some paper shims between the tripod and head.

You may need to get a short center column, as a normal length column may extend down into the picture and overlap the tripod leg in the Nadir shot.

Before moving the tripod over, put a lens cap or something on the ground directly under the tripod. Use this as a reference when sliding the tripod over. Practice a few times and you will see you do not have to be precise, but you do need to pay attention to what you are doing. I carry two small rulers with me. After taking the Nadir shot, I put them on the ground next to the tripod legs, move the rig over, then pick up the rulers. Piece of cake.

It will be very interesting to see how this device impacts people's workflow. Some may embrace it, others may dismiss it without even trying it, still others may decide that hand held patch shots are quicker. Whatever gets the job done.

Vincèn
06-04-2010, 08:33 PM
http://www.dlsphoto.net/Tutorials/NadirPatch2/index.htm

Thanks for link that explains easily how to process nadir shots for seamless stitch :biggrin:

gt_nninja
06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Another question, what is the speed screw for? It doesn't seem to control the friction when swinging the adapter. Thanks.

George

nick fan
06-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Another question, what is the speed screw for? It doesn't seem to control the friction when swinging the adapter. Thanks.

George

You mean the screw handle? It tightens the nadir adapter, prevents it from moving.

nick

gt_nninja
06-08-2010, 07:49 AM
You mean the screw handle? It tightens the nadir adapter, prevents it from moving.

nick

I can open the adapter with the same effort when the screw handle is hand-tightened as when it's loose.

panoguy
06-08-2010, 07:57 AM
I can open the adapter with the same effort when the screw handle is hand-tightened as when it's loose.

Might be that your screw isn't tightening because the handle isn't in the right position. It's a progressive screw-handle - you "lift it up" and turn it the opposite of the tightening direction (then drop it back onto the screw) to allow it to fully tighten the screw without hitting the post.

Just a thought...

Mine is as tight as a drum, and I can't open the adapter with it locked (which is handy when I pick up the whole rig and move it).

gt_nninja
06-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Might be that your screw isn't tightening because the handle isn't in the right position. It's a progressive screw-handle - you "lift it up" and turn it the opposite of the tightening direction (then drop it back onto the screw) to allow it to fully tighten the screw without hitting the post.

Just a thought...

Mine is as tight as a drum, and I can't open the adapter with it locked (which is handy when I pick up the whole rig and move it).

Actually on mine the thumb screw doesn't hit the post when mounted on the adapter. The pivot point also feels like it's spring-loaded. There's resistance between "click" positions and the "clicks" are at 45 degrees. Maybe I'll make a video with my 7D and post :001_smile:

gt_nninja
06-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Actually on mine the thumb screw doesn't hit the post when mounted on the adapter. The pivot point also feels like it's spring-loaded. There's resistance between "click" positions and the "clicks" are at 45 degrees. Maybe I'll make a video with my 7D and post :001_smile:

And here's the video: http://misc.sinugba.com/adapter. I was right behind the camera during this presentation with the flash mounted Rode SVM right under my nose so excuse the breathing :001_smile:

George

nick fan
06-09-2010, 01:01 AM
And here's the video: http://misc.sinugba.com/adapter. I was right behind the camera during this presentation with the flash mounted Rode SVM right under my nose so excuse the breathing :001_smile:

George

Hi George,

You get a defective unit. return it for replacement.
I apologize for your inconvience.

nick

gt_nninja
06-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Hi George,

You get a defective unit. return it for replacement.
I apologize for your inconvience.

nick

Will do. Thanks.

marian17
08-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Hi Bill,

Some news informations about this great product ?
I need a pano head and my first choice goes to the NN5 with RD16.
But since May and your announcement, I'm waiting for your new product...
Thanks for your answer (and sorry for my bad english...)

Bill Bailey
08-03-2010, 10:29 AM
No new word about new products - I would hope soon but then even this answer is a bit open ended. If you opted to receive emails you'll get notification once released. Also we will have a trade-in program on our website for selected items.

superpants
03-13-2011, 03:29 PM
So is this set up here just the Ultimate M1-S and a lens ring? or is it more stuff? Would this set up also work with the RD4 rotator that comes with the r1? If so is it easy enough to remove the rotator and swap back and forth as needed? Very interested in this set up.

Thanks

Here are some quickie photos showing how you can use lens ring clamps on the system and also how are you are able to take the down shot.
Shown - D300 w/ Samyang Lens

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_rd3Lb_Sam_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_rd3L_Sam_650.jpg

http://www.nodalninja.com/images/moda/mod_rd3La_Sam_650.jpg

Bill

DemonDuck
03-13-2011, 04:59 PM
No, there is no plan to stop the NN3/5 series. We just make 2 more accessories for them. One is nadir adapter, the other is a flash mount for mounting flash on the upper rail.

Nodal Ninja and Nodal Ninja Ultimate will always co-exist. They have different appeals to customers. Nodal Ninja is our cost effective solution. Nodal Ninja Ultimate is our best quality most advanced solution. Cost is not my concern in the Ultimate design.

Nick

Please -- don't forget an upgraded T-adapter that works!!!!

superpants
03-14-2011, 10:56 AM
So you can just flip the vertical arm to shoot the nadir, like the nn5/3 nadir adapter?
am i seeing that correctly? nice!

nick fan
03-14-2011, 06:09 PM
So you can just flip the vertical arm to shoot the nadir, like the nn5/3 nadir adapter?
am i seeing that correctly? nice!

yes, you are right.
but there is a better way using the nadir adapter.
http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/showthread.php?4311-Ulitmate-M-Series-Pano-Heads&p=33428&viewfull=1#post33428

Nick