I need a zenith shot from the nodal point [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : I need a zenith shot from the nodal point

harry
04-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Is there a way to shoot the zenith shot from the nodal point (no offset) with the R1. In my experience the quality of the sky/ceiling is better if there is a zenith shot. And in particular when shooting indoors, the offset becomes a problem. Any thoughts advice ? Thx :001_smile:

nick fan
04-11-2010, 04:21 PM
This is not possible by design. You need a multi-row Ultimate which will be unveiled in Tucson 2010.
If you use PTGUI Pro or new ptassembler, you can use viewpoint correction or "camera positions" optimization for indoor shots with flat ceiling.
you can also use bigger tilt angle to get more overlap (and hence better quality for circular fisheyes) at the zenith. what is your lens and camera?

nick

harry
04-11-2010, 04:38 PM
This is not possible by design. You need a multi-row Ultimate which will be unveiled in Tucson 2010.
If you use PTGUI Pro or new ptassembler, you can use viewpoint correction or "camera positions" optimization for indoor shots with flat ceiling.
you can also use bigger tilt angle to get more overlap (and hence better quality for circular fisheyes) at the zenith. what is your lens and camera?

Yeah, I couldn't figure how it would be possible with R1. Should I have bought one of the 5 series head instead ? I have to setups: Sigma 4.5 and D300 + Nikkor 10.5 + D700. Thanx for the help btw :001_smile: h

nick fan
04-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I couldn't figure how it would be possible with R1. Should I have bought one of the 5 series head instead ? I have to setups: Sigma 4.5 and D300 + Nikkor 10.5 + D700. Thanx for the help btw :001_smile: h

You can get better zenith with 5-10 deg up tilt. You can still include the off-set zenith shot by using viewpoint correction and use lower blend priority.
Yes, a multi-row pano head is needed for best quality in the nadir and zenith.

Nick

harry
04-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm using PTGui but I wasn't aware that one could offset with that software. Does PTGui have viewpoint correction and blend priority options ?

Do you think the results are as good as zenith shot from the true nodal point ?

Did I understan correctly that your advice would be to switch from R1 to one of the 5 series panoheads ?

Thx :001_smile: h

hindenhaag
04-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi Harry,

might be you have to wait two days to see what is offered in Tuscon. Right now to shoot a zenith and nadir you need an NN5 for your cameras.

In between you can use this: http://www.johnhpanos.com/ptgvpt.htm

http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/technical0.html

You can use viewpoint correction and exposure fusion - advanced Exposure/HDRI - in PTGui:

http://www.ptgui.com/examples/

Heinz

nick fan
04-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Did I understan correctly that your advice would be to switch from R1 to one of the 5 series panoheads ?

If you find it necessary to take proper zenith shot, you need a full spherical multi-row pano head such as NN3/5 or the next NN Ultimate.

NIck

hindenhaag
04-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Harry,

as Nick mentioned , to take a zenith and Nadir in NPP position you have to go for the NN models.

As I can see you have a 10.5mm and a D700. When you shave the lens you can use it on both cameras, D300 and D700. 4 shots on full frame, 6 shots on the DX. +z/n shooting at 0.

With the R1 and the shaved 10.5 on D700, a +5 pitch you should be able to close the zenith. I will try to make some shots for you with the R1, 0 to see the holes in Z and N, and +5 and -2,5, depends on time and weather this afternoon.

http://www.360precision.com/360/index.cfm?precision=products.d3_n10pt5mm_6_0_fx.

Heinz

harry
04-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Heinz and Nick,

Thanx a million for the info. Really appreciate it.

What is your opinion, do you think i can get as high quality of a 360x180 pano with the R1 as I would shooting a perfect zenith, nadir shot and a row of horizontals ? What do you guys think is the ultimate quality setup and workflow for my setups ? I'm thinking about swapping my R1 to a 5L, but I gotta say I love the lightweight and size of the R1. But ultimately I want the best quality.

Thx again :001_smile: Harry