PDA

View Full Version : NN5 with quick release plate, ROB, YOU'RE THE MAN!

tantoco
03-09-2010, 04:51 PM
This is probably a subject that has been beaten to death here but I just found the forum and came up with a solution prior to finding this site.

I have a Manfrotto hydrostatic ballhead, but that's less important than that Manfrotto's ballhead plates are incompatible with both the NN5 quick release clamps. I have the luxury of living close to the Nodal Ninja guys here in the Phoenix metro area. I brought it over to Rob to test it out and learned they were incompatible, I also learned that they have an ArcaSwiss style quick release clamp. In looking at ArcaSwissl style plates out there I settled on a Really Right Stuff plate and clamp to replace my Manfrotto. I brought this setup back to Rob and he set me up with the right quick release clamp. Now my camera quickly jumps from my tripod, to my hand, and onto my NN5, perfectly aligned for no parallax quickly and easily.

Hope this might help someone come up with a quick solution for a similar setup.

Thanks Rob and the Nodal Ninja team, you all rock!!!

nick fan
03-09-2010, 11:07 PM
This is probably a subject that has been beaten to death here but I just found the forum and came up with a solution prior to finding this site.

I have a Manfrotto hydrostatic ballhead, but that's less important than that Manfrotto's ballhead plates are incompatible with both the NN5 quick release clamps.

which head and what plate in use?

Nick

tantoco
03-10-2010, 03:11 PM
I replaced the Manfrotto RC4 clamp on my Manfrotto 468MG with the Really Right Stuff B2 AS II clamp (tip: keep your original Manfrotto metric screw because the RRS comes with an imperial). The plate I got is the RRS BMBD10 which is specific to the battery grip on my Nikon D300s. I am using the after-market Phottix battery grip which is identical to the Nikon battery grip at half the cost, in case anyone is wondering the plate matches perfectly to the Phottix battery grip. With this setup I got the Nodal Ninja Arca Style Quick Release Clamp to mount on the NN5's horizontal arm. Now I keep my NN5 ready to go in the laptop section of my camera backpack. If I spot a promising pano. during my hike I reach behind me and drop my tripod to the ground, pull the NN5 from the laptop sleeve and mount it to my tripod, clamp my D300s to the NN5, and with the no parallax stops already in place for my lens/camera combination I am ready to snap away. The camera bag which allows all this without even removing it from my body is the Kata D-3N1-33.

Being that a lot of pano. photos require a bit of a hike to get to I can't think of an easier faster setup.

Hope this helps!