PDA

View Full Version : How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

wilco23
01-10-2010, 02:44 PM
How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

wilco

nick fan
01-10-2010, 07:29 PM
for fisheye having >170 deg angle of view in the longer dimension of sensor, no zenith is needed. Just use enough tilt to cover it. You can take an extra zenith shot (off-set from NPP) by pointing to the lens up. Depending on the camera design, it will be 90 deg or close to 90 deg. You can take the nadir (off-set from NPP) by pointing the lens down, it will be -65 deg. You can also point the lens -90 deg. Just reverse the lens direction from the zenith shot. Of course, handheld shots are possible too.

Nick

wilco23
01-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks for your reply. I have nikon 10.5mm fisheye. I have to take 6+1+1 with NN5. I am planning to do pole pano. Does R1 can lock at -90 for zenith shot? D200 with battery grip can do zenith -90 shot with R1?

Wilco

nick fan
01-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Thanks for your reply. I have nikon 10.5mm fisheye. I have to take 6+1+1 with NN5. I am planning to do pole pano. Does R1 can lock at -90 for zenith shot? D200 with battery grip can do zenith -90 shot with R1?

Wilco

no lock at +/-90 deg or +/-65 deg.
For pole pano, you should remove the battery grip. You don't have to get eaxctly 90 deg for zenith.
For zenith of sky, you can probably take the shot on ground level.

Nick

wilco23
01-13-2010, 01:20 PM
no lock at +/-90 deg or +/-65 deg.
For pole pano, you should remove the battery grip. You don't have to get eaxctly 90 deg for zenith.
For zenith of sky, you can probably take the shot on ground level.

Nick

Thanks Nick. I should better go with R10. Which R10 would you recommend for Nikon 10.5mm? There are three degree that I can chose.

Wilco

nick fan
01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks Nick. I should better go with R10. Which R10 would you recommend for Nikon 10.5mm? There are three degree that I can chose.

Wilco

Both will work for pole pano. For R10, you can choose 7.5 deg or 10 deg tilt.

Nick

erikhoffman
01-15-2010, 06:16 PM
I have just emailed NN about the problem with R1 and Nikon D3X, there is a problem with the mechanics as you cannot drop the arm to +90deg without hitting the camera
sadly the rotator is too wide! yes I know it does not have to be +90deg but as the arm does not stop until it hits the arm end, this is a problem
I have now assembled the R1 with the adaptor so it is mounted perfectly on the R-D3L but the D3X still hitting the adaptor
I have suggested that the adaptor should be 10mm longer at the narrow end of it so the camera drops in.

Nikon D3X with 16mm AF, R1, -10 for 6 shots, +90 (well almost) shot for the Zenith and finally -60deg shot for the Nadir but move the tripod away(about a metre) - perfect

See Below

This is a message to Nick Fan or anyone who is dealing with the manufacturing of these brilliant products

I have purchased last week the fantastic R1 with an adaptor so it can be fitted on the R-D3L, because it cannot be used with R-D4

This is by far the best combination I have ever seen and the fastest - a delight to work with

However there is a problem with D3X as it will not drop all the way down to get the Zenith

The side of the camera hit the rotators (R-D4 as well) and preventing the full Zenith shot

I would like to see this rectified as more and more professional photographers are using the Nikon D3X

The adaptor needs to be 10mm longer at the narrow top to overcome this

I would be delighted if I can have one as soon as possible

Erik Hoffman
www.hoffmanportraits.co.uk

nick fan
01-17-2010, 08:03 PM
I have just emailed NN about the problem with R1 and Nikon D3X, there is a problem with the mechanics as you cannot drop the arm to +90deg without hitting the camera
sadly the rotator is too wide! yes I know it does not have to be +90deg but as the arm does not stop until it hits the arm end, this is a problem
I have now assembled the R1 with the adaptor so it is mounted perfectly on the R-D3L but the D3X still hitting the adaptor
I have suggested that the adaptor should be 10mm longer at the narrow end of it so the camera drops in.

Nikon D3X with 16mm AF, R1, -10 for 6 shots, +90 (well almost) shot for the Zenith and finally -60deg shot for the Nadir but move the tripod away(about a metre) - perfect

See Below

This is a message to Nick Fan or anyone who is dealing with the manufacturing of these brilliant products

I have purchased last week the fantastic R1 with an adaptor so it can be fitted on the R-D3L, because it cannot be used with R-D4

This is by far the best combination I have ever seen and the fastest - a delight to work with

However there is a problem with D3X as it will not drop all the way down to get the Zenith

The side of the camera hit the rotators (R-D4 as well) and preventing the full Zenith shot

I would like to see this rectified as more and more professional photographers are using the Nikon D3X

The adaptor needs to be 10mm longer at the narrow top to overcome this

I would be delighted if I can have one as soon as possible

Erik Hoffman
www.hoffmanportraits.co.uk

HI Erik,

Thanks for the report. Our pole adapter will raise R1/10 tilt head by 10mm. I will also release a quick mount adapter which will raise it up by >25mm.
We more feedback from customers, I may make a longer advanced rotator to R1/10 adapter in the future.

Nick

wilco23
01-18-2010, 05:46 AM
HI Erik,

Thanks for the report. Our pole adapter will raise R1/10 tilt head by 10mm. I will also release a quick mount adapter which will raise it up by >25mm.
We more feedback from customers, I may make a longer advanced rotator to R1/10 adapter in the future.

Nick

That is great news. If you make new version, please also add in +/-90 degree lock. I will wait for the new version.

Wilco

nick fan
01-18-2010, 08:31 PM
That is great news. If you make new version, please also add in +/-90 degree lock. I will wait for the new version.

Wilco

+/-90 degree lock is not easy to achieve without adding bulk to the design. I'd rather make a simple add on lock to achieve this purpose.
Hey, R1/10 is our brand new product, don't expect the next generation to come in the near future.

Nick

hindenhaag
01-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Hallo Erik and Nick,

i have been busy with R1 - D3/D3x zenith shot and camera bumping into the rotator: I had the same problem with D3 Sigma 8mm 3,5. My R1 is screwed together that way, that the detend plunger is on the same side where the camera comes down for the 90 degree shot. I opened the two imbus screws aside the leveler bubble, move the top 180 degrees around, and refixed. Now the plate moves to the zenith position on the opposite side of the rotator knobs. I fixed the camera in portrait mode, grip of the body upside, and now i can freely reach my zenith at 90 degree without bumping into anything.

I did not try the nikkor 16mm/f2.8 fisheye cause i do not have an adaptor ring for this lens, just had a look to the sigma mounted to D3 compared with the 16mm nikkor and i suppose it would be nearly the same position. I think the 16 mm lens should work in the same way.

What do you think of this,

Heinz

nick fan
01-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Hallo Erik and Nick,

i have been busy with R1 - D3/D3x zenith shot and camera bumping into the rotator: I had the same problem with D3 Sigma 8mm 3,5. My R1 is screwed together that way, that the detend plunger is on the same side where the camera comes down for the 90 degree shot. I opened the two imbus screws aside the leveler bubble, move the top 180 degrees around, and refixed. Now the plate moves to the zenith position on the opposite side of the rotator knobs. I fixed the camera in portrait mode, grip of the body upside, and now i can freely reach my zenith at 90 degree without bumping into anything.

I did not try the nikkor 16mm/f2.8 fisheye cause i do not have an adaptor ring for this lens, just had a look to the sigma mounted to D3 compared with the 16mm nikkor and i suppose it would be nearly the same position. I think the 16 mm lens should work in the same way.

What do you think of this,

Heinz

Hard to say. This is camera and lens dependent.

Nick

erikhoffman
01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Sorry but the Nikkor 16mm does not
Unfortunately the NNP is different so the lens has to be shifted a lot more on the slider so the problemis still there
I have ordered a monopole adaptor and longer screws and I will insert it between the R-D3 and the R1 and let you know if this help as the R1 will be then raised by 10mm

One more problem I have just discovered and very annoying is that you cannot use the remote trigger with 90deg Zenith shot

Erik

erikhoffman
01-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi Nick

I am in a process of manufacturing the final adaptor to be inserted between the R1 and the R-D3L

I will make it 30mm from the wider side up - higher, the base diameter will increase to 48mm and the center hole will be reduced to 13mm (it is a bit too wide and too close to the srew hole now.
In additition I will take off some 2mm from the centre core (the narrow part but not all the way up) to allow the camera to drop without touching it.

Not sure what can be done about the remote cord as this hits the main structure and looks too complicated to change but let me get the new adaptor finished first

Will see it on Friday and report to you

Erik

nick fan
01-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi Nick

I am in a process of manufacturing the final adaptor to be inserted between the R1 and the R-D3L

I will make it 30mm from the wider side up - higher, the base diameter will increase to 48mm and the center hole will be reduced to 13mm (it is a bit too wide and too close to the srew hole now.
In additition I will take off some 2mm from the centre core (the narrow part but not all the way up) to allow the camera to drop without touching it.

Not sure what can be done about the remote cord as this hits the main structure and looks too complicated to change but let me get the new adaptor finished first

Will see it on Friday and report to you

Erik

Will rolling the camera by 30 deg help to solve the remote problem?

NIck

erikhoffman
01-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Yes but how can you shoot like this, I just wonder if anyone knows a cable that has a different angle for this purpose

Here is a photo

Erik

erikhoffman
01-26-2010, 04:42 AM
No sorry my mistake it cannot be angled as the camera will hit the bracket, silly me

Erik

nick fan
01-26-2010, 09:48 AM
No sorry my mistake it cannot be angled as the camera will hit the bracket, silly me

Erik

Try this.
Tilt R1 down by 65 deg and reverse mount the lens ring on the QR clamp so that your camera point 65 deg up. It should be able to cover the zenith.

Nick

erikhoffman
01-28-2010, 02:09 PM
No No No this may be possible but not in this case

I could not stitch it in PTGUi I have to have the full 90deg or about, so lets wait until I get the new adaptor finished

By the way Nick is it at all possible to replace one of the unused snib (I only use 6 and 3 clicks) and make it longer so we can use it as a lock - wondefull idea!!

And with the lead for the remote trigger I will make a new one myself which is flat and have a different insertion angle - I will report to you when done

Erik

hindenhaag
01-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Erik,

you can use the dawntech di-GPS Pro L for D3x, it has a short cable which comes from the flash shoe and connects upright down without standing out. You can connect the remote on top of the GPS. I use this myself and i am pleased with it. Keeps last data when you go indoors.

www.dawntech.hk. Don't know if it is available in UK, i got mine in NL.

Heinz

erikhoffman
01-30-2010, 02:25 AM
Well thats great Heinz if you want to spend $300.00 on a trigger

I will find out who sell a remote with s different angle connector like on the GPS

Thanks

Erik

hindenhaag
01-30-2010, 03:25 AM
Erik,

might be this is the one we have to get.....http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8173

hindenhaag
01-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Sorry,

think this is with a curved contact as well, miss interpreted the pictures

Heinz

erikhoffman
03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Heinz

Finally got a couple of leads from DawnTech in Hong Kong and they are perfect, so thanks for your link

See the attachment for connection to a stereo Jack

Regards

Erik

hindenhaag
03-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Hi Erik,

thx for letting us know.

Heinz

ZoliTeglas
06-19-2010, 11:11 AM
I have the same problems with the Z and the N picture.
So i work with 0 degree for the horizontal pictures (6 stops). OK, the Z is -90 up and it works out. But for the Nadir-picture i found no solution. 65 degree down are not enough. What can i do?

erikhoffman
06-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Yes for the Nadir is a problem but there are 2 solutions

1/ If the ground is very simple, clone the it in Photoshop and patch it in Pano2VR

2/ if it is not then when you drop the camera to the 65 deg position move the tripod away about a metre and a half
That will give you a distorted photo of the ground, and to correct it you can do 2 things
A/ in Lightroom 3 or CS5 there is a wonderful new lens correction - really amazing and it is automatic
B/ Use PTLens it is cheap and very good

Once corrected you can patch it in Pano2VR

Erik

nick fan
06-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I have the same problems with the Z and the N picture.
So i work with 0 degree for the horizontal pictures (6 stops). OK, the Z is -90 up and it works out. But for the Nadir-picture i found no solution. 65 degree down are not enough. What can i do?

YOu can reverse the camera direction after you take the zenith shot. This way you get -90 deg nadir shot.

Nick

ZoliTeglas
06-20-2010, 04:11 AM
YOu can reverse the camera direction after you take the zenith shot. This way you get -90 deg nadir shot.

Nick

Hey Nick,
reverse the cam direction? You mean lifting the tripod and reverse it?
Best
Peter

nick fan
06-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Hey Nick,
reverse the cam direction? You mean lifting the tripod and reverse it?
Best
Peter

remove the lens ring from the QR clamp. point the lens to the ground and put it back to the QR clamp again. tighten the clamp. That is it.

Nick

ZoliTeglas
06-20-2010, 07:39 AM
remove the lens ring from the QR clamp. point the lens to the ground and put it back to the QR clamp again. tighten the clamp. That is it.

Nick

Thanks, i will try it but i think i will get an picture with the tripod.

erikhoffman
06-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Hi Nick

Yes this is a solution only if you take outdoor pano not when you need a tripod

Erik

nick fan
06-21-2010, 02:42 AM
Thanks, i will try it but i think i will get an picture with the tripod.

It depends on the footprint of your tripod. If it is small, the clearance you get from the nadir shot is enough to patch the hole.

Nick

ZoliTeglas
06-21-2010, 04:23 AM
I use a Manfrotto 055XPROB (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000TSHPCO/ref=oss_product)
What tripod is better (in your mind)

nick fan
06-21-2010, 08:40 AM
I use a Manfrotto 055XPROB (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000TSHPCO/ref=oss_product)
What tripod is better (in your mind)

Your tripod should be fine. Why not make a test. :wink:

nick

hindenhaag
06-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Zoli,

experiment on your own. This means, take shots around at 0. Stitch. And have a look. Using PTGui I use "create Panorama" set to .mov file. You will be able to have a look with Quick time Player 7. I like this for quick view to the pano.

This will give you an impression about the "holes" in zenith and nadir.

Take a set of all + and - settings of the combo, mingle around with stitching, and try to find out what set fills the zenith or the nadir at its best. + settings might fill the zenith. D3 with shaved 10.5 at 0 does not need a zenith shot for example.

Then fill the nadir by either handheld shot, viewpoint correction shot or use a horizontal arm. Think you using R1.

Dare to experiment on your own. You won't be send to prison if something goes wrong :wink:

Important is that you try to understand the basics. If you do not know to give right commands to a horse and you think this is a bad horse I and you should buy a new one to be excellent, you will stay with your own faults and pay a lot of money for nothing.

First get the footprint of the manfrotto, try to cover with nadir shots. This tripod worked fine for me for a long time. Just test around, and when you have problems, ask us and send pics.

Success,

Heinz