View Full Version : My setup - upgrade

rajdarge
12-03-2009, 04:11 PM
OK lets start with my setup as is:
Canon 450D (525g)
Tokina 10-17FE (348g)

Panosaurus (900g)
SLIK sbh-120DQ Ball head (164g)

SLIF 614CF carbonfibre Tripod (capacity 2993g)

But I want to upgrade (yeah!)
to a
Canon 7D (911g)
Tokina 10-17FE (348g)

INSERT PANORAMA HEAD HERE
INSERT ROTATOR HERE

SLIF 614CF carbonfibre Tripod (capacity 2993g)

so which one: NN3, NN5, RD4? RD8, R10?

I shoot spherical HDRI panos at about 8-20K horizonal res
stitched with PTGUI
My dilemma is WEIGHT

at the moment I use the ball head to level out my pano head without much concern for positiong the leg (it takes about 10s) - people tell me that they can spend up to 5 minutes just leveling the head.
It takes me less than that to be fully setup and shooting (I have timed it with a stop watch - yes I am so anal)

SO which one should I get - I am so confused.

nick fan
12-03-2009, 07:14 PM
for the weight of 7D, I would suggest you to get a NN5/5L. It is stronger and will give sharper image at low light/ windy situation. And I am sure you will try other wide angle lenses for panorama in the future. The default rotator is lighter than RD8/16.

Nick

Terrywoodenpic
12-04-2009, 03:01 AM
at the moment I use the ball head to level out my pano head without much concern for positiong the leg (it takes about 10s) - people tell me that they can spend up to 5 minutes just leveling the head.
It takes me less than that to be fully setup and shooting (I have timed it with a stop watch - yes I am so anal)

I have a levelling head but do not use it, Though other people find them very quick to use.
I set up my Nodal Ninja directly on my my Manfrotto 055ProB legs. and adjust those.
I find that like you I can set up in only a few seconds, though I find it slower if I use any of my ball heads.
Anyone taking 5 minutes to level up is doing something wrong.

Just do what ever suits your own working practice.

The fewer bits between the legs and the NN the less vibration is possible.