PDA

View Full Version : NN3 II camera/lens setting instructions confusing

Ginsu
08-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Ok, so I just got my new NN3 II in just in time for the last International adventure. In trying to find the NPP on a Nikon D300 and a Nikkor 10.5mm, the suggested settings are listed as NN3 w/CP - 60mm for the lower rail "A", BUT......the "B" setting of the upper rail is listed as 86mm. Now that dimension is based upon this image: http://www.nodalninja.com/assets/images/settings1.jpg

The problem is this shows a dimension WITHOUT the NCP1 adapter, and instead shows the centerline of the "camera knob mount" with 86mm as the recommended setting for the D300 and Nikkor 10.5mm.

Now I did my best with my jacked up middle aged vision trying to look through a fisheye lens and a vertical plane slightly less than 3 feet away and alined it to a vertical surface 25 feet away, and did my best to keep adjusting it so that I could see no discernible drift upon camera click rotation.

So now that I am back and have the luxury of actually logging onto the website here, I look at where I had it all and the camera knob mount centerline is closer to 97mm, BUT there is a white line on the bottom of the NCP1 adapter, and that is dead nuts on 86mm, but that is not the camera mount knob centerline as shown in the diagram.

Now I am hoping the NN3II settings for that particular camera are just not clear, and I magically was able to set the NPP correctly, and all along you guys meant that white line on the NCP1 adapter is what you meant all along, but among the many names I have been called, dreamer was always one of them....lol

So how about a clarification?

Thanks!

nick fan
08-30-2009, 06:57 AM
just ignore the photo. The upper rail value corresponds to the distance from NPP to the reference line on the camera mounting plate NCP-1.

Nick

Ginsu
08-30-2009, 09:34 AM
So if I have the reference line on the plate at 86mm, that means I had visually adjusted the NPP correctly to the 86mm recommended setting? If so I am shocked I accidentally got it right!

nick fan
09-07-2009, 09:17 AM
So if I have the reference line on the plate at 86mm, that means I had visually adjusted the NPP correctly to the 86mm recommended setting? If so I am shocked I accidentally got it right!

yes, that is it. Calibration is easy.

Nick