Chapel Built into Red Rock [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Chapel Built into Red Rock

Bill Bailey
07-01-2009, 07:57 AM
A chapel built right into the red rocks. Marguerite Staude, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright, designed this church after being inspired in 1932 by viewing a cross as she gazed on the Empire State Building. The church was built in 1957. Its signature feature is the 90-foot-high, architecturally integrated cross. It juts out of two red mounds on a spur of rock that is 200 feet above the ground.
http://circularworlds.com/chapel_flash.html
Taken in Sedona Arizona - I had to get in and out quickly before folks thought I was going to give a sermon.

Wide-Eyed
07-01-2009, 09:38 AM

Behold, on the EIGHTH day, after a short rest, God noticed that although everything He had made was good, there was, as yet, no way of taking a really good panorama of the whole shebang.....

:ohmy:

Bill Bailey
07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
lol - I'm working on some other panoramas. Funny thing - this is one of the most iconic buildings in Sedona and the southwest and just down the hillside only couple hundred yards sits a huge multi million dollar architectural disaster (or some would say) - a home built by Nicolas Cage or the guy that invented Lasic surgery (guess the real person is afraid to come forward), but nobody has ever lived in it. Sedona residents are very embarrassed about it.

Castillonis
07-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Bill, that is a nice panorama. I would not mind seeing a pano of the exterior if you could orient yourself so that the monstrosity is not visible ; )

Wim.Koornneef
07-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Hello Bill,

This church for sure look different from the ones we are used to see in the old world.
I like the nadir patch, it fits the pano (nice one) very well.

To be in line with the looks of the interior and exterior they should replace the wax candles by electric ones, then also the room temperature will benefit this because it must be warm as hell in that place ;-)

BTW, did you created the pano in Flash 8 ?
If so perhaps perhaps Flash 9 is a better choice because on my system (MacBook Pro, so not really a slow machine) the pano rotates jerky.

All the best,
Wim

Bill Bailey
07-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey Wim,
The inside stays very cool - most likely due to thick concrete walls. Plus the radiant coolness of the solid bedrock under the structure helps to cool in summer and heat in winter.
I just used the flash creation with Pano2QTVR and also have the DevalVR version: http://circularworlds.com/chapel_devalvr.html
and QTVR: http://circularworlds.com/chapel_qtvr.html
thx
Bill

Wim.Koornneef
07-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Hello Bill,

The QTVR version turns fine and no doubt the DevalVR pano will do the same.
Pano2QTVR creates Flash8 panos hence it jerky rotation.
I strongly advice you to upgrade from Pano2QTVR to Pano2VR, you then will have the choice to create Flash pamos for Flash9/10, you will not regret upgrading because Pano2VR is much more versatile.

I assumed wrongly that it must be very hot in the church because there are powerful fans placed on the ground for circulation of the air but when the outside temperature is even hotter I guess it will be relatively cool inside.

Best,
Wim

Bill Bailey
07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
tips greatly appreciated - I have far to go with my pano making. I do have Pano2VR - just haven't worked it yet but will with preceding panos.
The fans I believe are only to circulate the air more quickly. With tourists in and and out, they are all hot and sweaty from the short climb up, the added fans are welcomed :wink:
Also because of the high ceilings even if fans were off there would be a natural circulation as any hot air that rises escapes out the giant front doors.
Cheers
Bill