PDA

View Full Version : What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

AREA51
06-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I would like to get a fisheye lens for my Nikon D40 to create 360x360 virtual tours. I currently use stitcher unlimited and the NN5.
I've been looking at a variety of fisheyes but not sure which one would work the best. Here are some of what I've been looking at...

Sigma 4.5mm
Sigma 8mm
Tokina 10-17mm
Nikon 10.5mm

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good fisheye lens?

Thanks

riefa
06-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi area51,

if you want speed when making panos, go for sigma 4,5mm (only need 2 shots at the extreme, 3 shots recommended)

if you plan to upgrade to nikon fullframe body, go for nikon 10,5mm or sigma 8mm

if budget is a concern, go for tokina 10-17mm

=RIEFA=

AREA51
06-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the info Riefa. With the sigma 4.5mm where would I position the camera for the 3rd shot? I do have software that can stitch 2 fisheyes though so that would be ideal if I can get good results.

John Houghton
06-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the info Riefa. With the sigma 4.5mm where would I position the camera for the 3rd shot?
You take three shots using three detents, i.e. at 120 degree intervals. Using only two shots will give you very little image overlap. You cannot take them with the camera mounted on the upper rail of the NN5 as the head will intrude on the right hand side of the image, so you won't have a full 180 degree view horizontally. You can mount the camera on the lower rail, but the head intrudes at the base of the image too much unless you add something to raise the camera up a bit. 3 shots around is much more practical, but the resolution of the filnal panorama will be less that you would get with the other fisheyes since you waste so many pixels outside the image circle.

John

AREA51
06-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the info John. What fisheye would you suggest?

riefa
06-15-2009, 01:51 AM
3 shots around is much more practical, but the resolution of the filnal panorama will be less that you would get with the other fisheyes since you waste so many pixels outside the image circle.

John

To get the highest resolution with relatively fewer shots, and your camera have a 1.5 crop sensor.....

..then i think Sigma 8mm f/3.5 is the best options for this (you only need 4 shots using 90 degree detents interval, 1 Z + 1 N, total of 6 shots)

..second to that is the Nikon 10,5mm or Tokina 10-17mm (@ 1mm, you need 6 shots using 60 degree detents interval, 1 Z + 1 N, total of 8 shots).

Riefa

AREA51
06-15-2009, 08:23 AM
With the Sigma 8mm would I use the lower raill as well?

riefa
06-15-2009, 09:53 AM
With the Sigma 8mm would I use the lower raill as well?

I don't have experience with the particular lens yet...but assuming you'll be using 1,5 crop sensor, you have to use the upper rail for your camera + sigma 8mm combination.

Riefa

nick fan
06-15-2009, 09:58 AM
I would like to get a fisheye lens for my Nikon D40 to create 360x360 virtual tours. I currently use stitcher unlimited and the NN5.
I've been looking at a variety of fisheyes but not sure which one would work the best. Here are some of what I've been looking at...

Sigma 4.5mm
Sigma 8mm
Tokina 10-17mm
Nikon 10.5mm

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good fisheye lens?

Thanks

Go for sigma 8mm. You still need 3 shots for sigma 4.5mm using NN5. Upper rotator blocks some of the view of the lens. 2 shot is only possible for NN180, R1 and R10.
However Nikon 10.5mm and Tokina 10-17mm are also popular. Tokina is much cheaper.

Nick

AREA51
06-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a friend that is going to let me borrow his Sigma 4.5mm so I'm going to try that out and then maybe I'll rent a Sigma 8mm and compare the two. It sounds like maybe I should get a NN180 if I go with one of these fisheye lenses. For now though, from what I understand, I will need to mount the Sigma 4.5mm on the lower rail, but figure out a way to raise it a bit?

John Houghton
06-15-2009, 10:43 AM
You certainly won't need a NN180 for the 8mm fisheye. You can download some sets of images shot in the same location here: http://www.360precision.com/360/index.cfm?precision=products.camlensinfolist. No 8mm as yet, but you can try some stitches of Sigma 4.5mm, Sigma 10mm and Nikkor 10.5mm images. They were taken with a D300 and so are bigger than the ones from your camera. You can resize them down to the D40 size to get a better idea of the size of panorama you can stitch from them. It would be a 3600x1800 equirectangular maximum for the 4.5mm lens, which isn't enough for a full screen display. But if you only want a small window for your spherical viewer, then that won't be a problem.

John

nick fan
06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a friend that is going to let me borrow his Sigma 4.5mm so I'm going to try that out and then maybe I'll rent a Sigma 8mm and compare the two. It sounds like maybe I should get a NN180 if I go with one of these fisheye lenses. For now though, from what I understand, I will need to mount the Sigma 4.5mm on the lower rail, but figure out a way to raise it a bit?

You can mount sigma 4.5mm on NN3/5 lower rail. But the nadir footprint will be huge!

Nick

AREA51
06-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks John, those samples were very helpful.

It sounds like the Sigma 8mm will give me more pixels vs the Sigma 4mm which would result in a higher res pano. Correct?
Do you know where I can see a sample of what the Sigma 8mm takes? Something I could try stitching with my software?

John Houghton
06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
There's a set of 8mm images available at http://www.johnhpanos.com/sigma8.zip. They are from a Canon 20D and intended to be used with a PTGui for Beginners tutorial (also on my web site), but of course you can use them with Stitcher.

John

AREA51
06-17-2009, 11:41 PM
I have a sigma 4.5mm for a week with my D40 and then I'll try out a sigma 8mm the following week. I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my camera to the NN5. Should I use the upper or lower rail? Portrait or Landscape mode? I can't seem to find any info in the database with this lens.

nick fan
06-18-2009, 03:15 AM
I have a sigma 4.5mm for a week with my D40 and then I'll try out a sigma 8mm the following week. I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my camera to the NN5. Should I use the upper or lower rail? Portrait or Landscape mode? I can't seem to find any info in the database with this lens.

You should mount the camera on the upper rail. Tilt the upper rail up by 5 deg, take 3 shots around.
Try to do the calibration yourself. It takes just a few minutes.

nick

John Houghton
06-18-2009, 03:58 AM
For the 4.5mm lens, use the camera in portrait orientation on the top rail of the NN5 and take 3 shots around. The pano head will intrude very slightly on the right, but will be of little consequence. If you want to try 2 back-to-back shots, then mount the camera in landscape orientation on the bottom rail.

John

AREA51
06-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I haven't been very happy with the sigma 4.5mm. I need 6 shots for a full spherical and I loose a lot of resolution. I'm not sure how anyone is able to do one with just 2 or 3 shots.

So now I'm looking at trying out the Sigma 8mm or the Nikon 10.5 f2.8 AF DX Fisheye. Does anyone know where I can get samples from the Nikon 10.5 to try out? Does anyone have any opinions on the two lenses?

Thanks!

nick fan
06-28-2009, 08:36 AM
I haven't been very happy with the sigma 4.5mm. I need 6 shots for a full spherical and I loose a lot of resolution. I'm not sure how anyone is able to do one with just 2 or 3 shots.

So now I'm looking at trying out the Sigma 8mm or the Nikon 10.5 f2.8 AF DX Fisheye. Does anyone know where I can get samples from the Nikon 10.5 to try out? Does anyone have any opinions on the two lenses?

Thanks!

when you say 6 shots, do you mean 4 shots around + one zenith and one nadir?
On NN180, R1 or R10, you only need 3 shots around+ nadir.
you can find some sample shots here
http://360precision.com/360/index.cfm?precision=products.camlensinfolist

Nick

John Houghton
06-28-2009, 09:40 AM

Just a thought: the Sigma 8mm has a collar that the lens cap clips into. It is a common mistake for people to not to remove the collar (a push fit) from their new lens, in which case you get a much reduced angle of view. I imagine the 4.5mm lens has a similar collar, so could it be that you haven't removed it? That would account for you needing 6 shots around.

John

AREA51
07-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Just thought I would let everyone know that I ended up going with the Nikon 10.5 f2.8 AF DX Fisheye lens and I couldn't be happier!

Here is a link to a recent tour I finished using the lens and the NN5...

http://www.boltingcloudtour.com

John Houghton
07-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Your panoramas are in need of levelling. In a equirectangular image, all the vertical features like sides of doors, walls, windows etc. should normally be exactly vertical - not leaning over to one side. If using PTGui, see http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm. Autopano Pro also has a levelling option.

John

AREA51
07-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey John,

I was wondering about the leveling thing. I'm using RealViz Stitcher Unlimited 5.6 on a mac. Do you know if there is a way to do it with that?

Greg

John Houghton
07-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Greg, I don't know if there is a specific levelling tool in Stitcher, but you can roll the image and shift it up and down to level it visually, as far as I can remember. At worst, you could download Hugin for free and import the equirectangular image for levelling using t1 control points as in PTGui.

John

nick fan
07-28-2009, 08:05 PM

For fisheye lens, you need to mount in portrait mode. Sigma 4.5mm will required 3 shots.

Nick