PDA

View Full Version : Canon 30D + 17-85 kitlens

Rork
06-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi all,

I received my NN3-MKII/RD8 combo today -jay- and started to look into the setup. I checked the website for similar setups/settings, but so far no luck. I'm reading up in the NN manual, but is there by any chance somebody who already figured this out for the 17mm setting??

This would be greatly appreciated and would be a good base to understand the whole setup thing. Also thanks to all who put up their lens settings for the camera's :001_smile:

Thanks for any reply.

rob

Rork
06-11-2009, 12:34 PM
And to reply on my own post, I will be shooting in portrait mode, but I guess that's kind of logical with this kit :wink:

rob

Rork
06-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi all,

It seems I can't get it to work properly.

The lower rail settings were fairly easy to figure out, but the upper rail settings are a bit confusing.
I don't seem to get rid of the parallax in the rotation when testing it with some objects in the background, no matter how far back I slide the camera on the rail.
It seems the rail is not long enough to conquer the parallax.

Is that possible with this camera/lens combo, and if so, is there some way to 'fix' this with a additional body mount?

Or do I need to switch to the bigger NN5??

cheers all,

rob

Rork
06-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Always fun to be the only one replying on your own threads :biggrin:

But I figured it out by sliding the camera backwards mm by mm and compare the images in Photoshop to see the difference in parallax compared to a front shot image.

So for anyone interested, looking at this page:
http://www.nodalninja.com/html/canon_settings.html

These are settings that I came up with:

Manufacturer : Canon
Model : 30D
Lens : 17-85
Focal Length Used : 17mm
Lower rail "A" (mm) : NN3 w/CP - 54
Upper rail "B" (mm) : 103

Hope this helps somebody out there,

Rob

hindenhaag
06-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi Rob,

well done. Today there are too many new models and lenses to have every lens in the database.

By now knowing how to manage to find the nnp, why don't you work out the rest for your lens zoom settings. This gives you a bigger choice for different situations. Be aware, that cause of the optic movements inside the lens it might happen, that for some settings the direction might change from forward to backwards, example 60mm 50mm 40mm 62mm 35mm 17-85.

Work out the different stops for you rotator, find out hyperfocal distances for your lens and then, well prepared, you can shoot nice panos without additional stress.

Heinz