Level Headed [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Level Headed

newboy
04-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Just received my EZ-Leveler -II, ordered before I was told the bubble didn't need to stay in the circle, a great piece of kit. I was surprised to see the "to camera" fitting was a "continental" or 3/8 inch fitting. I can see the logic if it being used with a rotator 'cos they are all sleeved with the same size fitting but it does preclude fitting most cameras directly onto the head; something I am sure most photographers might want or need to do at sometime; a 1/4 inch thread connector would transform the EZ-II head into a viable purchase for "non-panoramic" photographers who just want to level their cameras. Surely it wouldn't be too much hassle to include a 1/4 and a 3/8 inch screw.

I also think a built in spirit level would be useful: I know too many bubbles is like having more than one watch - you never know the correct time- but again, there will be times when it will be used on it's own and a level would be a plus.

Just thoughts and, as I say, a nice piece of kit.

Terrywoodenpic
04-17-2009, 02:50 AM
For those very rare occasions one might wish to fit a camera direct to the leveller, manfroto and others make a 3/8 female to 1/4 inch male adapter.
How ever I for one have never felt the need to do this. so it is perhaps an unnecessary expense.

newboy
04-17-2009, 03:53 AM
For those very rare occasions one might wish to fit a camera direct to the leveler, manfroto and others make a 3/8 female to 1/4 inch male adapter.
How ever I for one have never felt the need to do this. so it is perhaps an unnecessary expense.

I have one and it is built like a tank. I am sure it weighs more than the tripod and certainly adds more bulk. I just feel that it is nice, sometimes, to be able to reduce weight and bulk to a minimum but not at the expense of convenience. The leveler does a good job very easily, I wish I had bought one years ago, and, for those times I want to hike without a big B&B head, it would be nice to be able to fine tune using it. Plus, of course, having paid good money for it, it needs to earn it's keep. If it becomes too much of a problem, I'll just have to retrieve my box of dies from the loft.