First panorama, badging vs patching a nadir [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : First panorama, badging vs patching a nadir

jwigum
03-27-2009, 12:58 AM
My first NN3 MII panorama (http://files.me.com/jwigum/90qio8.mov)
The location is the American River Parkway in Sacramento, California.
It's 3 rows of 10 images. I didn't do a nadir, zenith, or bracket images for this one, as it was the first one I've done so far. At this point I'm stitching with Hugin, and using the PTgui trial to convert to QTVR. I'm still undecided whether I'll go to PTgui completely. I'd like to bracket images, but it appears PTgui will only do that with a more expensive license. I'm not sure of whether or not I'll make enough use of it yet.

On a side note, I had to clone out 25 cigarette butts, one beer bottle, and an unidentified can.

jwigum
03-27-2009, 01:00 AM
As I forgot to include it in the initial post, what do people recommend for either patching or badging a nadir point? I don't really feel driven to make the tripod disappear, and would like to include location information in place of it. From what I've read so far, using PTgui with a combination of nadir image and badge seems to be the best solution for what I'd like to do.

Any thoughts?

Bill Bailey
03-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi jwigum,
Nice pano - crisp and well exposed. Like many pano's in the area this one reminds of my gold dredging days on the upper America River. A lot of gold came out this river but we ourselves never found the mother load.
Curious what the water marks are up river a few hundred yards - at first I thought it was a water fall but closer look it appears to be a water spout which I'm sure it isn't.
You should consider taking your panos to the next level and filling in the zenith and nadirs (top and bottom). The black holes are the only things that take away from the pano. If you leave these two shots out consider limiting the viewer so they cannot fully pan up or down.
Here's a tutorial by Rosauro (our reseller in Canada) that might help: http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/technical0.html
Keep up the great work!
Bill

newboy
05-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Hi jwigum,

Curious what the water marks are up river a few hundred yards - at first I thought it was a water fall but closer look it appears to be a water spout which I'm sure it isn't.
You should consider taking your panos to the next level and filling in the zenith and nadirs (top and bottom). The black holes are the only things that take away from the pano. If you leave these
Bill

If I am looking at the same area, it is just a patch of still water where the breeze isn't rippling the surface.

John Houghton
05-06-2009, 03:32 AM
what do people recommend for either patching or badging a nadir point?
There are several ways of editing the nadir and zenith. You can try the plugins at http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php, or generate cubic tiles with Pano2QTVR (edit the tiles and rebuild the equirectangular image).

John

jwigum
05-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks John.

I had someone suggest pano2VR over on panoguide, which is a program I will end up getting anyway. I ran into a friend who has vista 64, which apparently can't install quicktime... So I'll be slowly converting to flash.

jwigum
05-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi jwigum,
Nice pano - crisp and well exposed. Like many pano's in the area this one reminds of my gold dredging days on the upper America River. A lot of gold came out this river but we ourselves never found the mother load.

There's a riffle up stream, but there weren't any water spouts going on that day.

You should consider taking your panos to the next level and filling in the zenith and nadirs (top and bottom). The black holes are the only things that take away from the pano. If you leave these two shots out consider limiting the viewer so they cannot fully pan up or down.

The zenith is easy, but the nadir is proving troublesome. I'll probably end up either using a wider lens, or breaking the images into cube faces and patching in.