NN5 + 5D mark II + battery grip + database questions... [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : NN5 + 5D mark II + battery grip + database questions...

zerodean
02-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Hey there -

I recently purchased the Nodal Ninja 5 w/ RD16 Rotator for my Canon 5D mark II (with battery grip).

I failed to notice (until just now mounting my camera for the first time!) that the battery grip is offset from the center of the lens. Ouch.

It appears I have 2 options:

1. buy a T-adapter
2. buy a quick release system

Of the two, the quick release system is probably of more value to me. However, I'm uncertain if the offset is 10mm or less. It certainly appears that way, but I don't want to order the system only to discover it doesn't meet my offset needs. Does anyone know if the quick release system provides enough of an offset for the 5D mark II battery grip?

Also, under the canon lens settings page http://www.nodalninja.com/html/canon_settings.html the 5D mark II is absent from the listings. Are the 5D mark II settings the same as the 5D?

Thanks for any assistance.

Zero Dean

nick fan
02-14-2009, 07:34 PM
The QR2 will allow offset up to 40mm.

Nick

zerodean
02-15-2009, 06:11 PM
QR2? Are you referring to this quick release system? http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/qrs-2.htm

If so, I'm confused as to where the "40mm" of play you mention comes in?

In the main description tab, it lists "a 10mm offset for battery grips" and then under technical details tab, it lists "Offset: 0-15mm".

Am I missing some other quick release system with 40mm of play?

Thanks for the assistance.

jmardy
02-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi Zero Dean,
I have a 5D with BG and the QR system linked above. The plate is slotted and I believe you get a total of 40mm of adjustment because it the slot is 20mm and it can be rotated 180 degrees.
Regardless, it works beautifully with the 5D with the battery grip.
Cheers,
-John

jmardy
02-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I can't figure out how to edit my post :confused1:
Anyway, it came to me. There is a 15mm slot which can be rotated 180 degrees on the camera and you can adjust a stop in the base to get the rest if needed.
Brilliant design!

nick fan
02-16-2009, 08:13 PM
QR2? Are you referring to this quick release system? http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/qrs-2.htm

If so, I'm confused as to where the "40mm" of play you mention comes in?

In the main description tab, it lists "a 10mm offset for battery grips" and then under technical details tab, it lists "Offset: 0-15mm".

Am I missing some other quick release system with 40mm of play?

Thanks for the assistance.

there is a 15mm slot on the plate. So you can compensate for off-set of 15mm on either side.
there are 3 pair of sockets on the clamp, to which a thin rail plate is attached. These pairs are 10mm apart. The rail plate is attached to the center pair by default. By attaching the plate to the other 2 pairs, an off-set of additional 10mm is obtained. So a total of 25mm offset can be easily compensated by the QR2. However, the QR2 is 60mm in width, you can slide the plate out by another 15mm (also supported by the position stop on the clamp) without compromising stability. So there is a total of 40mm. :biggrin: However, only a few prosumer DCS will need this amount of off-set compensation.

sorry for the confusion of spec. I will ask Bill to update the website.

Nick

zerodean
02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks John and Nick for clearing that up for me. Sounds like a lot of options. Placing my order now!

Zero Dean