PDA

View Full Version : Question about ez-leveler usage

scarecrow
02-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Hi, maybe its a dumb question but i'm novice and i dont have big experience to panoramic photography. During multi-row shoting, i need to fix the levelling putting perfectly on plane the bubble on every shot to avoid stiching problems?

Regards,
Davide

Vincèn
02-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Hi Davide,

The leveller doesn't change anything for quality of stitching, it's just important (mainly if you do pano with just one horizontal row of picture) to get your picture at perfect horizontal level from left to right.
If you do full spherical panos, it's less important as you can correct levelling problems in your stitching software :001_smile:

Hope it helps :001_smile:

Vinc?®n

Terrywoodenpic
02-12-2009, 02:47 AM
The leveller levels the plane around which you are rotating...
You must not adjust it between pictures or you can have problems at the stitching phase.

You will find even if the plane is a bit out it will stitch ok, but horizontals and verticals will not be level.

in 360x180 that is easy to correct, but in sectional pans you will waste some of the view bringing things straight and cropping.

So in practice Level the plane of rotation in the first picture than leave things alone.....

scarecrow
02-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanx Vinc?®n and Terrywoodenpic for the infos :wink:

Regards,
Davide

Vincèn
02-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanx Vinc?®n and Terrywoodenpic for the infos :wink:

You're welcome :wink:

Vinc?®n

Bill Bailey
02-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi, maybe its a dumb question but i'm novice and i dont have big experience to panoramic photography. During multi-row shoting, i need to fix the levelling putting perfectly on plane the bubble on every shot to avoid stiching problems?
Regards, Davide

Hi Davide, I would like to expound a bit on the whole leveling issue.
The bubble levels on Nodal Ninjas are extremely sensitive. It's difficult to obtain a true and exacting level so some drift is likely. As long as the drift isn't excessive you should be able to find a happy medium. Just level the first shot and you're good to go.

Also some people often use multiple levels - using multiple levels is like trying to stack marbles and also becomes very difficult. The most important level and really the one you should depend on is the level on the Nodal Ninja itself. Also make sure your tripod is secure and doesn't have any wobble. A slightly loose tripod head/neck, commonly found with lesser expensive models, will create uneven rotation. And you always want a steady surface to put your tripod on - be careful when shooting on sinking sands ;-)
Keep us posted on how you go.
Cheers
Bill

Terrywoodenpic
02-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi Davide, I would like to expound a bit on the whole leveling issue.
The bubble levels on Nodal Ninjas are extremely sensitive. It's difficult to obtain a true and exacting level so some drift is likely. As long as the drift isn't excessive you should be able to find a happy medium. Just level the first shot and you're good to go.

Also some people often use multiple levels - using multiple levels is like trying to stack marbles and also becomes very difficult. The most important level and really the one you should depend on is the level on the Nodal Ninja itself. Also make sure your tripod is secure and doesn't have any wobble. A slightly loose tripod head/neck, commonly found with lesser expensive models, will create uneven rotation. And you always want a steady surface to put your tripod on - be careful when shooting on sinking sands ;-)
Keep us posted on how you go.
Cheers
Bill

Hi
I will add to that ... I was doing a pan last week with the tripod on a carpet.
It was only 4 wide but with bracketed exposures for combining in tufuse.
Although I used a radio release between sets of three shots. I had forgotten to tighten the neck of the tripod fully.
Result was I had to register all the shots before I could fuse them. It was only a couple of pixels but it was enough to spoil things.
However this was not a problem for processing the pan as stitching software sorts such small errors with ease.

On another shot taken in the same session The first to be exact, I had forgotten to turn off the lens stabilizer, this is not a problem on some lenses but on others the image drifts during long exposures on a tripod. Again I had to register the resulting shots for tufuse.

The lesson is to use manual everything...
Manual white balance
Manual exposure
Manual focus
stabilize off.

Then all shots will match and make for easy stitching and blending.