T-adapter and Rail Stop problem [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : T-adapter and Rail Stop problem

tailwinds
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm having a little difficulty getting the T-adapter working with my NN3mk1. The camera mounting knob has too long of a screw for the adapter. Before the screw had to fit through the rail, the square rubber washer, and the camera. Now it needs only fit through the rail and the adapter. I have excess screw because now there is no rubber washer, and the T-adapter is not sufficiently deep to account for its absence. I presume I am supposed to be using a knob with shorter screw. Is one available for sale?

My new rail stops are just the right size not to work for me. They don't fit between the rotator and the vertical rail without the screw impacting the rotator in one orientation or the knob in the other. On the opposite side of the vertical rail neither orientation is sufficient for the screw to clear the vertical rail knob. I would have guessed that they were intended to work on either side of the vertical rail. Did the vertical rail knob change so that it has a narrower diameter or else slopes sufficiently to clear the rail stop screw?

- Eric

PS. I love love love the RD-16. What an amazing piece of hardware that is, and I can't wait to take some panos with it. Hats off to you gentlemen for making it.

nick fan
02-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Can you take a picture to explain the problem?

Nick

tailwinds
02-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Sure. The pictures are up on an un-listed Picasa album (http://picasaweb.google.com/tailwinds/NodalNinja?authkey=fAoluuVTxGc#). My commentary is in the captions.

Bill Bailey
02-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm having a little difficulty getting the T-adapter working with my NN3mk1. The camera mounting knob has too long of a screw for the adapter. Before the screw had to fit through the rail, the square rubber washer, and the camera. Now it needs only fit through the rail and the adapter. I have excess screw because now there is no rubber washer, and the T-adapter is not sufficiently deep to account for its absence. I presume I am supposed to be using a knob with shorter screw. Is one available for sale?

My new rail stops are just the right size not to work for me. They don't fit between the rotator and the vertical rail without the screw impacting the rotator in one orientation or the knob in the other. On the opposite side of the vertical rail neither orientation is sufficient for the screw to clear the vertical rail knob. I would have guessed that they were intended to work on either side of the vertical rail. Did the vertical rail knob change so that it has a narrower diameter or else slopes sufficiently to clear the rail stop screw?
- Eric
PS. I love love love the RD-16. What an amazing piece of hardware that is, and I can't wait to take some panos with it. Hats off to you gentlemen for making it.

Hey Eric,
Firstly Nick deserves all the credit on the RD16 for sure - he's the inventor, developer and manufacturer. The advanced rotators are truly well built pieces of precision engineering.
Please ouch bases with me at bill[at]nodalninja[dot]com - I believe you are mixing up parts from various models old and new that may not work well together. As Nodal Ninja continues to evolve some parts from the old to the new may not meld well. Let me know your original purchase date so I can look up your order and we can go from there. Or send me your phone number and I'll be happy to call you.
note: we are in currently the middle of a physical move at the moment so please excuse any delays in our responding.
thx
Bill

nick fan
02-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Sure. The pictures are up on an un-listed Picasa album (http://picasaweb.google.com/tailwinds/NodalNinja?authkey=fAoluuVTxGc#). My commentary is in the captions.

ok, I see the problem. Your T-adapter is faulty and need a replacement. The new rail stop screw is smaller and will solve your problem. Bill will sort out your problem. :-)

Nick