Editing Zenith and Nadir from images with NN5 [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Editing Zenith and Nadir from images with NN5

otred
02-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Hi all. Am new here after just obtaining my new NN5 two days ago. Been previously using stitching to create large pixel images but now venturing into VR presentations. I have managed to create a VR movie but am having problems editing the nadir and zenith images. Would someone have directions to a tutorial or a guide on a step by step of how to do this? Tutorials that I have come across are not really complicated and seem to be geared to those not using custom VR heads like NN. Thanks for all and I look forward to a wonderful experience with the NN5

mskp
02-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Hi, welcome!
This can help
http://nodalninja.com/nn3_tutorial3.html

Regards, Martin :biggrin:

otred
02-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks Martin :001_cool:. I will try this out just now. Somehow I had thought that there is a way of doing it all in one programe like PTGUi :blushing: to join both the Zenith and Nadir into one with the horizontal pano. Again thanks for your quick one.

John Houghton
02-04-2009, 01:50 AM
If the zenith was taken along with the horizontal shots on a spherical panorama head, then the zenith can be straightforwardly stitched in with the horizontal images. There is nothing special about the zenith image. The same goes for nadir shots that are taken on the pano head. However, PTGui Pro has a feature called Viewpoint Correction, which enables it to also stitch in hand held nadirs and shots taken of the nadir area from the tripod shifted sideways sufficiently to provide a clear view of the area previously occupied by the tripod legs. This only works for a flat nadir, though. There's a tutorial at http://www.johnhpanos.com/ptgvpt.htm.

John

otred
02-04-2009, 03:07 AM
Thanks John for this input too. What I realised from both tutorials suggested by martin as well is that they all use 6 horizontal shots. What is wrong in having more? I have a sigma 10-20 and just taken 36 horizontal shots (2 rows), one nadir and 1 zenith. Would such high number of horizontal images confuse PTGUi or what? Is it more complicated using many shots than just 6? I was of the opinion that having as many shots as possible increases the final image quality and also enable more control points.

John Houghton
02-04-2009, 06:54 AM
You can have as many shots as you like - it's all the same to PTGui. What focal length are you using? It's hard to see why you would need as many as 18 images in a row, given that at 20mm, the hfov is 40 degrees or so. You don't need 50% overlap. See my advice in your other post.

John