Settings for: Canon EOS 20D with Canon EFS 10-22mm lens, focal length 10mm [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Settings for: Canon EOS 20D with Canon EFS 10-22mm lens, focal length 10mm

lax
11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm a newbie looking for the settings for the above camera and lens. I didn't see my set-up listed on the Canon Settings page. If anyone can advise me, I would most appreciate it.

Thanks,
Lax

Bill Bailey
11-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi Lax,
Welcome to the forum.
I believe your settings would be:
Lower Rail A = 54mm (using camera plate)
Upper Rail B = 97mm

Thanks
Bill

lax
11-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for the settings. Really appreciate it.

-Lax

Bill Bailey
11-26-2008, 06:35 AM
no worries - we hope you'll stop in from time to time for tips and pointers as well.
happy pano'ing
Bill

360Blue
12-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi there, I also have just purchased a NN3 MKII with the D12 Rotator to go with my 20d and 10-22mm lens.
Could I ask what if any could be considered a standard setting for this setup? I have read that a suggested 6 x pics at -30, 6 x pics at +30 and 1 x Zenith shot is a good combination with no Nadir shot? This doesn't seem to follow the pratice of x pics on the horozontal plane plus x pics up and down?
Am I being daft?
Sorry if this is a really basic question but I want a base setting to go and play with and would like to set off on the right footing.
I have purchased Realviz unlimited to edit the 360 spherical images I need btw.

Many thanks

Stuart

360Blue
12-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Just fouun the link to the VRwave.com site from the EOS 1000 thread, so it gives me what I think I need to know.

Looking forward to becoming a 360 nerd !

Bill Bailey
12-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi there, I also have just purchased a NN3 MKII with the D12 Rotator to go with my 20d and 10-22mm lens.
Could I ask what if any could be considered a standard setting for this setup? I have read that a suggested 6 x pics at -30, 6 x pics at +30 and 1 x Zenith shot is a good combination with no Nadir shot? This doesn't seem to follow the pratice of x pics on the horozontal plane plus x pics up and down?
Am I being daft?
Sorry if this is a really basic question but I want a base setting to go and play with and would like to set off on the right footing.
I have purchased Realviz unlimited to edit the 360 spherical images I need btw.
Many thanks
Stuart

Hi Stuart - welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately we don't have the settings for this lens.
As we hear back from customers and learn settings we post the findings here on a temp page: http://www.nodalninja.com/html/settings.html
If you do not find your camera/lens on the list the manual teaches you how to find these settings: http://nodalninja.com/nodal_ninja_user_manual.html.
I can tell you the lower "A" setting once found will never change.
It really is easy to learn how to find the no parallax point of a lens and we really encourage our customers to learn this. Once learned it will work for any camera/lens at any focal length.
Also here is another link that you might find helpful:
http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm
After you do finally learn the settings I hope you might share them with us so we can post them on the website.
Hope this helps.
Bill

360Blue
12-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks Bill, It was my intention to try it via the suggested method and hopefully end up with settings the same as others have suggested.
Out of curiosity, I have read that upper rail distance can vary dependant on if the lense has a straight face or a curved (fish eye) type face. My question is are the rail settings effected if there is a filter applied to the lens?

Cheers

Stuart

Bill Bailey
12-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Stuart,
Good question. It has been my experience that once you have the proper position set that some lenses will show drifting of the no parallax point (NPP) as you move lens left to right.I would surmise this is due to the actual lens construction and the size of the aperture during testing. I found the 17-40mm Canon EF lens to do this at the 40mm focal length. This is a quality lens with superior optics however when doing the NPP test things will line up perfectly when viewed far left or far right but the NPP targets will sway slightly while moving left to right. This is generally negligible and not a concern.
IMO a filter would have no effect on this. Speaking of filters - stay away from the polarizer types.
Hope this helps.
Bill