Recommendations for Canon EOS20D + Sigma 10-20? [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Canon EOS20D + Sigma 10-20?

irrbloss
08-30-2008, 03:38 AM
I just ordered a NN3 MKII (can't wait to get it!) and now I need to ask a few questions so I can start snap as soon as possible when I get it :001_smile:. Anyone here using a Canon EOS 20D with Sigma 10-20? If so, any recommendations how to shoot?

1. What detent ring do you use?
I want to take as few shots as possible and still get enough coverage to get good stitching results.

2. What aperture do you use?
And where do you set the focus to get "infinite" DOF?

3. Number of rows needed?
Is one row enough if you take a zenith- and a nadir-shot?

4. Any problem taking the zenith-shot?
I'm a bit concerned my setup won't let me rotate the camera straight up. If so, is it ok to change the camera offset upwards to allow it to fit? Outside with just a sky I guess it's ok. But what if I'm shooting under a tree or inside a building? Would the paralax error screw things up?

nick fan
08-31-2009, 06:40 PM
I just ordered a NN3 MKII (can't wait to get it!) and now I need to ask a few questions so I can start snap as soon as possible when I get it :001_smile:. Anyone here using a Canon EOS 20D with Sigma 10-20? If so, any recommendations how to shoot?

1. What detent ring do you use?
I want to take as few shots as possible and still get enough coverage to get good stitching results.

2. What aperture do you use?
And where do you set the focus to get "infinite" DOF?

3. Number of rows needed?
Is one row enough if you take a zenith- and a nadir-shot?

4. Any problem taking the zenith-shot?
I'm a bit concerned my setup won't let me rotate the camera straight up. If so, is it ok to change the camera offset upwards to allow it to fit? Outside with just a sky I guess it's ok. But what if I'm shooting under a tree or inside a building? Would the paralax error screw things up?

You can get settings for many popular lens here
http://www.vrwave.com/
Recommended (1.5x, 1.6x): N, 4 images every 90? at -60? pitch, 8 images every 45? at 0? pitch, 4 images every 90? at +60? pitch, no zenith image required

So you need to use a detent ring with 8 stops around. You skip one stop to get 4 stops around.
Not sure about DOF, you need to do some tests yourself. I guess you need to use F10 or higher.

Nick