Arca Style Quick Release Clamp [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Arca Style Quick Release Clamp

dchutinaton
08-25-2008, 03:09 AM
So...I was just looking at the Arca Style Quick Release Clamp available as an accessory for the NN5. I know it says not recommended for the NN3 and I'm wondering what the reason for that is. I have the NN3 MkII that I use with the Nikon D200 and 10.5 Nikkor DX fisheye lens. I have an RRS L-Bracket. Its really a pain for me to switch back and forth between the NN3 Camera plate and my L-Bracket when in the field. Anyone know if its possible to use the Arca Style Quick Release Clamp?

Danai

nick fan
08-25-2008, 07:29 PM
what is your lower rail setting? we are working on thinner adapter for quick release plate. It will be out next month. It may work for you. What is the thickness of your L-plate?

nick

dchutinaton
08-26-2008, 08:57 PM
My lower rail setting is 63. The thickness of my L-Bracket is 10mm.

Danai

dchutinaton
08-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Can the new arca style clamp be used without the camera mounting plate? If I'm not mistaken the current arca style plate requires the use of the camera mounting plate which adds to its weight, thickness, and seems to make it an askward design.

Danai

nick fan
08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
we are making a thin QR adapter which may work for you. I will test it when it is released. chances are high. :-) Do you have the RRS lever QR? it will work better than our screw lock one. YOu need the adapter too.

nick

dchutinaton
08-27-2008, 07:49 PM
So you're saying that I need to use my RRS lever QR + New Thin Arcastyle Clamp + Camera Mounting Plate?

Danai

etegration
09-10-2008, 10:46 AM
So...I was just looking at the Arca Style Quick Release Clamp available as an accessory for the NN5. I know it says not recommended for the NN3 and I'm wondering what the reason for that is. I have the NN3 MkII that I use with the Nikon D200 and 10.5 Nikkor DX fisheye lens. I have an RRS L-Bracket. Its really a pain for me to switch back and forth between the NN3 Camera plate and my L-Bracket when in the field. Anyone know if its possible to use the Arca Style Quick Release Clamp?

Danai

i use Velbon's:

http://moonshine.homedns.org:2655/pano/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/cam_vel.jpg

i use 2 piece so i can switch back and forth as in with NN3, without NN3 to take normal shots with tripod quickly. The full article is here > http://tinyurl.com/58dhac

nick fan
09-10-2008, 07:21 PM
So you're saying that I need to use my RRS lever QR + New Thin Arcastyle Clamp + Camera Mounting Plate?

Danai

the lever clamp is preferred over the screw knob clamp because of limited clearance from the rail when a thin adapter is used. You only need one clamp + thin adapter plate. The thin adapter plate replaces the camera mounting plate. In fact the adapter is stripped down version of the camera mounting plate.

nick

pdesmidt
10-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Is the thin plate adapter in production yet?

nick fan
10-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Is the thin plate adapter in production yet?

yes, almost ready. Time flies. I have been too busy.
nick

jonnyz2
10-12-2008, 07:42 PM
I am hoping that you will release the low profile Arca style QR as soon as possible. I could use it for an upcoming trip but your staff say that it now will not be avaible until late this year.

BTW, it would be nice if an extension capability was available. Like you suggest using the T20 to extend the rail, why not build some extension into the low profile clamp?

nick fan
10-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I am hoping that you will release the low profile Arca style QR as soon as possible. I could use it for an upcoming trip but your staff say that it now will not be avaible until late this year.

BTW, it would be nice if an extension capability was available. Like you suggest using the T20 to extend the rail, why not build some extension into the low profile clamp?

I have an economical QR coming. It has some extension capability. It also support tripod socket off-set up to 40mm.