Landscape Mounting with NN3MkII [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Mounting with NN3MkII

ThomasL
08-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Just bought the Nikon fish-eye 10.5mm lens for my D60 and would like to use the NN3MkII in landscape mode in order to take advantage of the width of the 10.5mm rather than the gain in height. I see a picture or two of landscape mounting in the sample pix at NN's website, and the manual is pretty sparse on landscape setup. I have the the T30 adaptor.

Can anyone explain the "how to" please?

Thanks in advance.
ThomasL

Bill Bailey
08-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi Thomas,
To mount in landscape mode simply remove the upper rail assemble and attach your camera directly to the lower rail.
http://nodalninja.com/nn3_10.html
To give added height so the lens doesn't rest on the rotator (shouldn't be a problem with with 10.5) you can use the t-adapter or camera plate.
Here is a photo that shows NN3 being used with t-adapter in landscape mode.
http://nodalninja.com/nn3_4.html

Bill

ThomasL
08-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Got it! Thanks very much, Bill.
It seems so simple now, I feel like an idiot with 7 and a half ounces of mud in the brain :001_smile:...but hopefully this 10.5mm will eventually convert some of that into brain matter :biggrin:

Thomas

Bill Bailey
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Got it! Thanks very much, Bill.
It seems so simple now, I feel like an idiot with 7 and a half ounces of mud in the brain :001_smile:...but hopefully this 10.5mm will eventually convert some of that into brain matter :biggrin:
Thomas

ah - not to worry sometimes the simplest things are hardest - I still can't find the milk in the frig but the wife says it's there someplace :001_smile:

jaaaab
08-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi,

is the NN3MK2 can handle a fuji S5 + nikkor 18-200mm at max zoom in landscape mode?

or should i go for NN5?

on the online store, i noticed this accessory for NN3MK2:

Arca style Quick Release Clamp

but it's written just under :

Not recommended for use with NN3/II.

what does that mean!?

does this quick release compatible with the fuji S5?

thanks a lot!

Bill Bailey
08-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi,
NN3 MKII would work with your equipment in landscape mode.
The Arca style "clamp" is not suggested for use with the NN3 MKII (in portrait mode) as it gives to much added height for it to work correctly with the Arca style quick release system . It would work in landscape mode however.
Bill

jaaaab
08-12-2008, 12:38 PM
hey

thanks for reply

so which quick realease system do you advise for NN3MK2?

tx

Bill Bailey
08-12-2008, 01:37 PM
hey
thanks for reply
so which quick realease system do you advise for NN3MK2?
tx

Some low profile QRP's like Manfrotto and Velbon. I don't believe any of the Arca style QRP's will work on NN3 MKII's.