How is this pano possible? [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How is this pano possible?

Bill Bailey
08-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Not my best work by any means and filled with errors but was a very challenging project nonetheless.
It's a 360 degree panorama taken from Coit Tower in San Francisco.

http://www.circularworlds.com/coit.mov

Bill

John Houghton
08-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Bill, That's a very good effort, though the nadir doesn't stand up to close scrutiny. I know just how challenging such panoramas are to produce. Mine taken from London's Monument presented very similar difficulties: http://www.johnhpanos.com/monument.htm. The nadir area is very difficult to get right because of the severe parallax problems. I used morphing options in PTGui to force things to align, but I had to spend quite a lot of time with layers and masks.

John

Bill Bailey
08-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey John,
Thanks for the input. Nothing in the pano really stands up to a quality effort (borderline even showing it) and didn't want to spend a lot of time working it. It was shot with a little point and shoot 3MP camera from "inside" Coit Tower - no pano head. There are 24 windows at the top of tower and I took one shot from each window. The tower is about 50 feet across so the camera was about 25 feet from the center. I then added the nadir from a Google Maps image to give the "floating in the sky" effect.
Next time at the tower or any similar locale I'll know better what to do to get better results.

Your pano is very sharp and well done for sure. You should try adding Google Maps image for nadir fill - what do think?
Bill

John Houghton
08-10-2008, 04:29 AM
Bill, The images from Google Maps or Microsoft Virtual Earth etc. don't give a good match to mine in terms of perspectives, lighting direction, and general image quality. I wouldn't attempt to patch any of them into my panorama.

John

Wide-Eyed
08-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I then added the nadir from a Google Maps image to give the "floating in the sky" effect.
Next time at the tower or any similar locale I'll know better what to do to get better results.

You are an 'evil genius' (with too much time on his hands) . . . . . but can we trust you now ?

:-\

Bill Bailey
08-11-2008, 02:53 PM
You are an 'evil genius' (with too much time on his hands) . . . . . but can we trust you now ?
:-\

Had these old photos lying around and had to try something - the straight stitch didn't yield much and I really shouldn't be showing such a garbage pano - it's ok - I can slam my own stuff :wink: but I thought it interesting how an indoor pano can be given an aerial feel with the add of a satellite image. I'm sure if I had more than 30 minutes I could have have worked a more convincing result but since the exposure wasn't locked between images ( a pano no no) it would be too much to bother with.
We all need more time to play - at least I do - hence my recent trip into the Arizona Desert - see: http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.0
Cheers