PDA

View Full Version : How to choose a wide angle converter for compact camera?

Marcin Krugly
08-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Hi,

I ordered my NN5L but havené─˘t received it yet. In the mean time the opportunity to buy cheap Canon WC-DC58N wide angle converter lens for my G6 appeared. The converter is of max 94mm diameter. Do anyone has any experience if this can be supported by NN5L equipped with Canon G6? If not, what converter that would fit do you recommend?
The question also is valid for Canon G7 (applies to G9 too) since this is the second camera I have.

In general: do you recommend some specific converter models, manufacturers? What is the most appropriate conversion factor (in example 0.7x vs. 0.5x) to optimally balance between number of required shots and overall image quality? I doné─˘t have much experience hereé─Â

Thanks,
Marcin

nick fan
08-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi,

I ordered my NN5L but havené─˘t received it yet. In the mean time the opportunity to buy cheap Canon WC-DC58N wide angle converter lens for my G6 appeared. The converter is of max 94mm diameter. Do anyone has any experience if this can be supported by NN5L equipped with Canon G6? If not, what converter that would fit do you recommend?
The question also is valid for Canon G7 (applies to G9 too) since this is the second camera I have.

In general: do you recommend some specific converter models, manufacturers? What is the most appropriate conversion factor (in example 0.7x vs. 0.5x) to optimally balance between number of required shots and overall image quality? I doné─˘t have much experience hereé─Â

Thanks,
Marcin

with a diameter of 94mm, the converter may bump into the upper rail. It depends on the height of your camera from base to lens axis. the camera mounting plate will raise the camera by 10mm. so the height to lens axis must be >37mm. You can add quick release system as spacer if the converter pump into the rail.
in general, it is best to buy the converter designed for the camera. Besides the converter from big manufacturers (Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Panosonic, Sony) are better than the less well know one. It is hard to say without actually testing it on your camera.

nick

Wide-Eyed
08-04-2008, 01:55 PM
The Canon WC-DC58N .7x will actually work with the provided Canon stitching software, since it's mentioned / endorsed in the manual (I think). A great price (without the tube) is around $50.

Raynox is also a good name to look at for your Canon.

The Raynox model numbers give you an idea of their magnification factor: ie: RAYNOX HD-7000PRO 0.7X HDefinition Wide Angle Lens 58mm. Similarly, the DCR-6600 is a .66x

The lens 'tube' for your Canon is available CHEAP on eBay with a petal lens hood / cap.

Try 'Canon G7 hood' on eBay.
Try also 'Canon wide tube' for a selection of lenses.

Contact me and I'll tell you how to make them fit better. I have used this seller a couple times: http://myworld.ebay.ca/jinfinance/

Manfrotto RC2 quick mount on the upper rail will add a lot of clearance for your lens, as it does for my Canon S5is with an Olympus wide angle, very similar to the Canon WC-DC58N wide angle converter lens. I'm using it on an NN3 MKII.

IN the picture you can see that my Manfrotto plate is offset where it attaches to the Camera Mounting Plate (NCP-1) because my camera has an offset tripod screw hole. The lens pictured is 98mm wide and there's still 17mm clearance at the hinge.

:biggrin: