pano2QTVR vs pano2VR + similar software [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : pano2QTVR vs pano2VR + similar software

Marcin Krugly
07-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Hi,

Im progressing with my general panoramic skills and ordered NN5L to give a try to spherical panoramas. Up to date Ive built several spherical panoramas using photos&tutorials from the Web (special thanks here to John Houghton for his excellent tutorials on PTGui). My question here regards software designed to convert equirectangular projections to cubic faces as they make it easier to introduce corrections to nadir image in example. Ive noticed that most often referenced software is pano2QTVR. But there also is a new version called pano2VR, which as claimed by the developer, is much improved, but almost twice as expensive. Do any of you can make a recommendation of which version to choose? Are there any other programs similar to pano2QTVR/pano2VR?

Thanks,
Marcin

John Houghton
07-23-2008, 10:37 AM
The differences between pano2VR and the free and paid for versions of pano2qtvr are spelled out in the table at http://www.gardengnomesoftware.com/features.php. If all you want to do is convert to cubic tiles for editing (and back again), then the free version of pano2qtvr will do what you want. If you want other features (like flash), then there's not much difference in cost between pano2VR and pano2qtvr+flashpack, though only pano2VR supports flash 9.

There are other ways of generating cubic tiles for editing nadir and zenith. There's PanoCube, and the Photoshop filters by Rune Spaans from http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php. Personally, I prefer to use PTEditor for editing.

John

John Houghton
09-16-2008, 05:19 AM
John,

Is there now an option to use PTEditor with 16 Bit images?

PTEditor is 8-bit only. However, Pano2VR has recently been enhanced to give a similar functionality to PTEditor and that does support 16-bit working. You can extract one or more views in any direction and with any fov, edit them in Photoshop and then insert them back into the panorama.

John