Leica Geosystems [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Leica Geosystems

Terrywoodenpic
07-15-2008, 02:13 AM
I could not help noticing your new entry for Leica Geosystem items.

an impressive set of kit to be partnering with.
a NN used with an optically centred tribrach should even give the possibility for time lapse progress work.
Though I do not think many normal photographers would have the spare cash for a full leica surveying kit.
whilst surveyors would have no trouble buying the NN kit.

I have been wondering what set you off on this more unusual tack.?

Terry

Bill Bailey
07-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Hi Terry,
The Leica HDS (high-definition surveying) Geosystems people have very specific requirements in thier field work flows. The parts we offer that allow them to adapt Nodal Ninja 3 MKII onto their laser tripod systems.
They use an extremely accurate laser to do a 360x270 degree scan of an area. After the scan they then use a Nodal Ninja with Canon DSLR and 8mm lens to do a photographic spherical panorama.
The added parts are of no use to anyone else. Even the Tribrach adapter mounts to a special surveyor tripod and uses 5/8 threads to mount the Nodal Ninja (hence adapters).
Here are a couple videos that explain how their system works.
http://www.leica-geosystems.com/us/en/leicanewOv2.mov
http://www.leica-geosystems.com/images/new/product_solution/LeicaHDSfinal.wmv

We are very proud of this partnership and will probably make a more unofficial announcement in the near future.

Terrywoodenpic
07-15-2008, 06:55 AM
A surveyors tripod is far less costly than the equivalent photo tripod.
An optical tribrach is not that expensive on its own , but allows exact and repeatable positioning over a survey point during the course of a build.

For a site photographer to be able to offer accurate and repeatable progress shots would be a great selling point.

your mount adapter would then have further selling opportunities to non surveyors.

I know a number of photographers who use surveyors tripods for their stability and their ease of footing them into soft ground.
Though I don't know any who use a tribrach. The 5/8 thread problem is usually solved in a crude farm yard engineering fashion.
Though when using an optical tribrach the 5/8 thread is on the tribrach not the tripod. as the tripod has a large centre hole to sight through.

Bill Bailey
07-15-2008, 08:50 AM
A surveyors tripod is far less costly than the equivalent photo tripod.
An optical tribrach is not that expensive on its own , but allows exact and repeatable positioning over a survey point during the course of a build.
For a site photographer to be able to offer accurate and repeatable progress shots would be a great selling point.
your mount adapter would then have further selling opportunities to non surveyors.
I know a number of photographers who use surveyors tripods for their stability and their ease of footing them into soft ground.
Though I don't know any who use a tribrach. The 5/8 thread problem is usually solved in a crude farm yard engineering fashion.
Though when using an optical tribrach the 5/8 thread is on the tribrach not the tripod. as the tripod has a large centre hole to sight through.

hmmm - interesting. The Tribrach adapter only sits in place on the surveyor tripod with 3 large stops. It uses a 5/8 thread mount of top. http://nodalninja.com/tribrack1.jpg
Anyone is welcome to try it.

Bill Bailey
07-15-2008, 08:51 AM
hmmm - interesting. The Tribrach adapter only sits in place on the surveyor tripod with 3 large stops. It uses a 5/8 thread mount of top. http://nodalninja.com/tribrack1.jpg
Anyone is welcome to try it but note this is very user specific and does not fit standard tripods.

Terrywoodenpic
07-15-2008, 09:46 AM
By the look of that you are supplying a NN3 with a 5/8 thread for them. as that item looks to fit in to the tribrach with the thread at the top. what is on the under side of the adapter?
What does the camera adapter look like?

This is an optical tribrach.

http://www.korecgroup.com/direct/templates/images/products/large_SSD1164.jpg

Terrywoodenpic
07-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I have been trying to get my head round this...
surely if the tribrach adapter had a 3/8 thread it would fit a standard NN3 ll.
why does it need to fit 5/8 and all the special work involved.

nick fan
07-15-2008, 05:50 PM
I think 5/8" is a standard in surveying equipment. The adapter is needed to raise the center of perspective of the camera so that it is the same as the laser scanner. So it has dual functions. One is thread adapter, the other is height adjuster.
I can only imagine what they are doing. They use the laser scanner to get 3D point cloud data for the scene. The they take the pano at the same perspective. they render the pano into the 3D model as photo realistic texture.

I am glad they find NN3 adequate for they purpose. :001_smile: Bill certainly did a good job in working out the partnership.

nick

Terrywoodenpic
07-16-2008, 02:36 AM
I think 5/8" is a standard in surveying equipment. The adapter is needed to raise the center of perspective of the camera so that it is the same as the laser scanner. So it has dual functions. One is thread adapter, the other is height adjuster.
I can only imagine what they are doing. They use the laser scanner to get 3D point cloud data for the scene. The they take the pano at the same perspective. they render the pano into the 3D model as photo realistic texture.

I am glad they find NN3 adequate for they purpose. :001_smile: Bill certainly did a good job in working out the partnership.

nick

Yes I am sure you are right about the thread standard.... I am also pretty sure the head would fit other makes of Tribrachs, as they too are a standard size.
Many many thousands of sets of surveying equipment are sold each year, so Bill has opened a large potential market for you. :001_smile:
This might be one area where a camera/lens specific head might help as most surveyous will not be into "nodal points"

Would it be expensive to offer a 3/8 thread adapter to photographers who want to take advantage of Surveyors tripods and tribrachs, so they can fit their standard NN's.
This would give near ultimate rigidity.

Terry

Bill Bailey
07-16-2008, 05:41 AM
By the look of that you are supplying a NN3 with a 5/8 thread for them. as that item looks to fit in to the tribrach with the thread at the top. what is on the under side of the adapter?
What does the camera adapter look like?
This is an optical tribrach.
http://www.korecgroup.com/direct/templates/images/products/large_SSD1164.jpg

This tribrach adapter isn't like the one you noted. Leica Geosystems requested we use the one shown which doesn't have built in levelers.
The underside is fairly simple - just the 3 stops plus a brass knob to help tighten and mount the 5/8 threaded camera adapter (exclusive to Nodal Ninja). The 2 camera adapters are simply 1" diameter aluminum rods (5/8 female threads on on end and 3/8 male threads on the other) and measure 4 3/4 inches and 7" in length.
These parts are available separately if anyone wanted to experiment. We only recently took supply of the special brackets and I'll be posting photos soon.

Bill Bailey
07-16-2008, 05:55 AM
I have been trying to get my head round this...
surely if the tribrach adapter had a 3/8 thread it would fit a standard NN3 ll.
why does it need to fit 5/8 and all the special work involved.

Yes the camera adapter would fit the NN3/NN5 but the base of the camera adapter is 5/8 female thread to fit onto the tribrach adapter.
This is a unique and exclusive configuration to use with the Leica Geosystems HDS6000 and Scan station laser scanning systems.

The idea being the laser scans an area (360x270 degrees) and forms a 3D rendering of a scene. The user removes the laser scanner off the tripod (to big to unscrew hence the stops on the tribrach) and replaces with NN3 using a camera adapter that is attached to a tribrach adapter. The end result is the DSLR camera on NN3 is at the same "exact" height that the laser scanner was. The resulting panoramic image can be over-layed onto the 3D rendering on of the scene. Kind of cool technology. The workflow for these users also encourages the use of PTGui (which we highly recommended).

Bill Bailey
07-16-2008, 06:00 AM
nick

Thanks Nick - took a bit of testing on both NN3 and NN5 - both preformed perfectly for their needs. The reason they went with NN3 over NN5 was out of the need for compactness due to field use. Later down the road we may introduce a NN5 version.

Bill Bailey
07-16-2008, 06:07 AM
Many many thousands of sets of surveying equipment are sold each year, so Bill has opened a large potential market for you. :001_smile:
Terry
shhh - we will always have irons in the fire and I like to think outside the box when it comes to marketing :wink:

Would it be expensive to offer a 3/8 thread adapter to photographers who want to take advantage of Surveyors tripods and tribrachs, so they can fit their standard NN's. This would give near ultimate rigidity.
Terry
These pieces are available separately so as we learn of customer uses we'll adapt and grow.
Bill

DemonDuck
07-16-2008, 07:05 AM
I've been looking at surveyor tripods on eBay. Usually less than 100 bucks. And they look sturdy for outdoor use but figuring out how to put a camera on them always stumped me.

Where on NN's site is your surveyor tripod adapter stuff listed?

Bill Bailey
07-16-2008, 07:13 AM
I've been looking at surveyor tripods on eBay. Usually less than 100 bucks. And they look sturdy for outdoor use but figuring out how to put a camera on them always stumped me.

http://store.nodalninja.com/category_s/37.htm

we don't have photos yet but soon.
Bill

nick fan
07-16-2008, 07:45 AM

Sounds like time to buy one and work out a simple adapter. :-)
Just to make sure, the standard for the surveyor tripod is global, right?
any one has photos for the mounting part?

nick

Bill Bailey
07-16-2008, 07:53 AM
We've had purchases of these adapter kits from the US, UK, France and South Africa thus far.

nick fan
07-16-2008, 08:29 AM
find this on the web.

I dont know why people pick the hard way to convert surveyor's tripod heads!?!?!

Just remove the big 5/8 off the beast and go to a hardware store and get a 3/8bolt and a couple of big washers for $2 and mount your tripod head on it... took me 2mins to convert.. have fun
http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/008/008mBd-18680384.JPG

sounds simpler than I think. :-)

nick

Terrywoodenpic
07-16-2008, 10:47 AM
find this on the web.

I dont know why people pick the hard way to convert surveyor's tripod heads!?!?!

Just remove the big 5/8 off the beast and go to a hardware store and get a 3/8bolt and a couple of big washers for $2 and mount your tripod head on it... took me 2mins to convert.. have fun
http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/008/008mBd-18680384.JPG

sounds simpler than I think. :-)

nick

I have altered this text
Modern surveyors tripod heads have a ground flat top surface with a fairly large hole in the middle.
The tribarch can move over this surface for centering purposes. the fixing is fairly complex as it has to work with an optical plumb which these days is mostly a tube This is pulled down to lock the Tribarch into position by a hollow bolt this passes through a metal arm under the tripod head that can move following the tribarch as it is slid to adjust its position.

The way he mentions only works with old style legs.
Terry

waters
07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
The surveyor tripod/ tribrach combo is overkill for 99% of panorama photographers. I was obsessed with the tribrach idea for a while and built a plate to convert the 5/8 to 1/4 fitting. Tribrachs are fun, the leveling ensures great accuracy, but another converter needs to be fabricated to mate with the NN base. More trouble than it is worth. Leveling with a ball head takes a few seconds, and the ball head is great for non panoramic photography as well.

nick fan
07-16-2008, 08:08 PM
hey Waters,

Do you like the surveyor tripod? Do you feel it heavy? Wondering how many people can accept the weight. Do you think a simple adapter (like yours) for it is helpful?

nick

Bill Bailey
07-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Here's an image that shows the Nodal Ninja 3 MKII on a Leica Geosystems Scan Station adapter (rod) which in mounted onto the tribrach adapter (black portion only).

http://nodalninja.com/leica2.jpg

Terrywoodenpic
07-17-2008, 03:19 AM
This is the sort of progress wide angle stuff that would suit a Surveyors tripod.
taken with canon G6 on nn3 on Manfrotto 055prob. wind and mud on such sites is always a major problem.
Now use a 40D for this work.

http://xs129.xs.to/xs129/08294/fwg235-15-11-07small861.jpg
http://xs229.xs.to/xs229/08294/fwg118-10-07-07small579.jpg
http://xs229.xs.to/xs229/08294/fwg143-31-07-07small772.jpg