NN5 or NN3? [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : NN5 or NN3?

Mennaut
05-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Hi all,

I'm a novice to panorama picture shooting. So far I used manual shots and stitched them together. Easy.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_jlgwGcZVlis/SAI1VjB16pI/AAAAAAAAAzM/KLeOs8bCQig/s320/IMG_0397-0403.jpg

Since this picture a lot has changed. I bought a Velbon Sherpa 750R tripod and now my pictures improved... until I discovered that I'd better use a panohead. Searching the web I found the Nodal Ninja's to give the best price-quality relation and I'm thinking of buying an NN. The only thing I ask myself is whether I should buy an NN3 or an NN5. I have the following equipment: Canon 30D, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 18-200mm. Can anyone advice me?

Cheers
Dennis

nick fan
05-11-2008, 09:47 AM
hi Dennis,

NN3II with T-adapter will work for your gear.you may not be able to take a zenith shot. of course, NN5 will work even better and allow you to take zenith shot and use bigger lens and battery grip.

nick

Mennaut
05-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Dear Nick,

Thank you for your quick response. I'll definitely go for the NN3, however do I really need a T-adapter too? I thought I would not need one because the screw on the camera is in line with the lens. Am I correct or am I wrong? What do I need the T-adapter for in that case?

Greetz
Dennis

Bill Bailey
05-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Dear Nick, Thank you for your quick response. I'll definitely go for the NN3, however do I really need a T-adapter too? I thought I would not need one because the screw on the camera is in line with the lens. Am I correct or am I wrong? What do I need the T-adapter for in that case? Greetz Dennis

Hi Dennis, Actually Nick made a slight error - you will not need the t-adapter for your Canon camera assuming you will not use the battery grip. If using a battery grip some some Canon grips do have an offset in which case you would need a t-adapter and should go with the NN5L.
Thanks
Bill

nick fan
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
hey,
Billl is right. I thought your set up would need extention for the upper rail. I check the database.
http://nodalninja.com/nodal_ninja_3_camera_settings.html
no T-adapter needed. :001_smile: the max adjustment on NN3 upper rail is 107mm.

nick

Mennaut
05-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Dear Nick and Bill,

Thank you for your help; very useful.

Greetz
Dennis