Problem stitching pictures - final panoramic has slightly wavey edges [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Problem stitching pictures - final panoramic has slightly wavey edges

WillyWonka
04-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Have just bought my NN3, and after my first efforts at a panoramic, I am having a few teething problems.

I think I have nodal/entrance point lined up correctly, but when I stitch the images together in Real Viz Stitcher Express 2, the corners of each picture do not line up exactly. Imagine each picture is being squeezed from the sides and the tops and bottom are bulging slightly. So the final panoramic has slightly wavey lines top and bottom where each picture is slightly curved. To produce the final picture I had to crop the top and bottom to level the edges.

Looking at the manuals and user guides this definately shouldn't happen. Can anyone help? I am off on holiday on Thursday and really want to have it mastered by then.

Many thanks

Will

John Houghton
04-30-2008, 02:39 AM
Will, It's quite normal for the panorama to have wavy edges, but it depends on the type of lens, the output projection, and the amount of barrel or pincushion distortion that has to be corrected. Wide angle and fisheye lenses in particular tend to produce dramatically curved edges. It's nothing to worry about, and should not affect the alignment of the images with each other if the stitching is done properly. Just crop the ragged edges away.

John

pep
04-30-2008, 02:57 AM
Willy,

When descrivbing this kind of issue, it could be nice to illustrate with picture. It make analyze easier and answer accurate :wink:

PEP

Terrywoodenpic
04-30-2008, 05:46 AM
If you have stitching software that does not automatically trim of black space, you will see a series of curved edges.
Just crop to size.
It is part of the proper warping process that the stitcher uses.
All stitcher's do it ... some juts trim it for you.

DemonDuck
05-01-2008, 05:53 PM
If you have a wide angle lens that is not a fisheye and is a popular lens for a popular camera, you might be able to use PTLens to correct the barrel and pincushion distortion before you stitch and get a better stitch.

Just a thought. Google ptlens...

Terrywoodenpic
05-02-2008, 01:29 PM
If you have a wide angle lens that is not a fisheye and is a popular lens for a popular camera, you might be able to use PTLens to correct the barrel and pincushion distortion before you stitch and get a better stitch.

Just a thought. Google ptlens...

All stitching programmes based on Pano tools like PTGui and PT assembler automatically make all the corrections that PTLens does ( also based on Pano Tools)
Using PTLens first makes no difference.

Terrywoodenpic
05-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Is this what you are talking about.This is the edge if a normal 194degree pan done in PT assembler but set not to trim.
The inset picture is a single stitched and remapped pic used in the pan. It's normal square shape has been stitched to create the correct portion of a sphere ready for blending. This is the way stitching programs work.
If you are talking about something else please show us an example.
http://xs227.xs.to/xs227/08185/frenchesedge849.jpg