PDA

View Full Version : NN3 Rotator upgrade

mskp
04-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Hi! I found the option of upgrading the rotator head from my NN3 to the one you offer from the NN3II very interesting. I suppose that with it I can keep all my detent rings, which will be usable with the new head. In what way will I notice an improvement changing the head? Is the system of the ball click noticeable better than the old one. If so, I feel the upgrade as a fact, but i need confirmation.
Thanks, Martin :wink:
BTW, the spell check is usefull, specially for those as myself, english is not our language.

nick fan
04-24-2008, 08:37 AM
the clickball is more precise than the detent pin. it provides less drag so I can use a stronger spring inside. that means more positive feel. The tension knob has bearing inside. It provides smoother rotation. you can tighten it a bit more without significantly increasing the drag. Tension can be adjusted more easily too. Did I give you too many reasons for an upgrade? :wink:
Maybe some NN3 users who have recently upgraded the rotator can share their opinions here.

nick

Terrywoodenpic
04-24-2008, 12:18 PM
I have been using the NN's since the sph2 I am now using the NN3ll
The difference is amaxing.
Sharper clicks, easy to adjust, smoother rotation, no vibration. never get slop. Tightens up firmly.
Better all round. I am a happy old man.

mskp
04-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi, thanks. Thats what I wanted to hear / read. I will contact my brother in law in Miami and ask him to order the upgrade, as well as I did before with my NN3. I still have to wait to get it, because just a few days he left and will not be back until a couple of months.
Regards, Martin :wink:

Frate
04-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Great! Now I really, really, want to upgrade. Perfect! Just when I think I've found pano-nirvana, you have to go and make it better.
I have NO choice. I'm going to have to upgrade. :wink:

- Dean

pep
04-29-2008, 02:39 AM
I just receive it !! That's a GREAT enhancement !!
Good job Nick, you find the trick that really make our life easy.

Just one point : the Quick Reference Guide and User Guide need to be updated, they still show old rotator ::001_smile:
Also, do I need to keep the black washers below the knob, as with the older rotator ?

Pierre

nick fan
04-29-2008, 04:10 AM
I just receive it !! That's a GREAT enhancement !!
Good job Nick, you find the trick that really make our life easy.

Just one point : the Quick Reference Guide and User Guide need to be updated, they still show old rotator ::001_smile:
Also, do I need to keep the black washers below the knob, as with the older rotator ?

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Glad you like it. You don't need to use any washer for the new rotator.

nick

gibie
04-29-2008, 05:35 AM
Just receive this morning the new rotator ! Nice piece of engineering with a nice looking !! I have done a test immediately and there is not the slightest degree of play in the new rotator ! It is easier to adjust and to use with sharper clicks and never unscrews itself. Well done !! Thanks for this great enhancement !

emess
04-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Hi Nick,

Im a bit confused about the upgrade kit.
Its clear that the new rotaor is included, but in another thread a conversion to the latest detent rings is described. For my understanding until now upgrading to the ball click also requires the stronger detent ring locks (which can be adopted by cutting M4 thread in the rotator lower arm?) and modified detent rings.

Regards, Martin

nick fan
04-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi Martin,
you can have 2 upgrade options. one is rotator upgrade by just replacing the rotator while keeping the old detent rings. the other is DIY upgrade to NN3II, with new rotator and detent rings. You must do some drilling and tapping in order to do this. The new detent rings are precision CNC machined. They will work better than the old ones.

nick

Frate
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
you can have 2 upgrade options. one is rotator upgrade by just replacing the rotator while keeping the old detent rings. the other is DIY upgrade to NN3II, with new rotator and detent rings. You must do some drilling and tapping in order to do this. The new detent rings are precision CNC machined. They will work better than the old ones.

nick

I'm REALLY curious now, Nick. Can you give more details, or schematic for the "Drill & Tap" upgrade process? That would help me to upgrade, and potentially fix some alignment issues in one shot.

Thanks,
Dean

emess
04-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Dean,
i think you just have to replace the two brass pins with the M4 threaded bigger pins. That I think is the whole tap & drill.

Nick,
does the improved accuracy "just" come from the bigger pins meaning less movement and wear or are the detent plates improved in their design in general (e.g. changed desing of bores)? Im thinking of machining the plates by myself because I have a milling machine with rotary table waiting in my workshop...

Regards, Martin

nick fan
04-29-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm REALLY curious now, Nick. Can you give more details, or schematic for the "Drill & Tap" upgrade process? That would help me to upgrade, and potentially fix some alignment issues in one shot.

Thanks,
Dean

Hi Dean, all of a sudden, I find my English not good enough to describe the upgrade process. :blushing:. I will take some pictures later to illustrate the process. You must have a drill, 3.5mm drill bit, a M4 tap and tap wrench.

nick

nick fan
04-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Dean,
i think you just have to replace the two brass pins with the M4 threaded bigger pins. That I think is the whole tap & drill.

Nick,
does the improved accuracy "just" come from the bigger pins meaning less movement and wear or are the detent plates improved in their design in general (e.g. changed desing of bores)? Im thinking of machining the plates by myself because I have a milling machine with rotary table waiting in my workshop...

Regards, Martin

The new M4 retention pins are made from plastic. The small elasticity allows more tolerance in its diameter. The old brass pins can be too loose or too tight and caused us lots of problems in manufacturing. The slot (instead of 2 holes) in detent ring means easier removal of detent ring from the pins. the improved accuracy comes from CNC machining of the detent "wells" or holes.

nick

Ewie_nz
04-30-2008, 02:11 AM
Bill, Nick.... If I were to upgrade to the MKII rotater and detents, will the newer detent rings provide a finer step increment than 15 degrees?
Alternatively, can I use the unit (MK1 or MK2) without detents to get finer adjustment?

Cheers, Ewie

nick fan
04-30-2008, 05:46 AM
Bill, Nick.... If I were to upgrade to the MKII rotater and detents, will the newer detent rings provide a finer step increment than 15 degrees?
Alternatively, can I use the unit (MK1 or MK2) without detents to get finer adjustment?

Cheers, Ewie

Due to the small diameter of the detent ring, we can not provide smaller than 15 degree increment. One of the detent rings has a blank/flat surface. you can use it for finer adjustment.

nick

Frate
04-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi Dean, all of a sudden, I find my English not good enough to describe the upgrade process. :blushing:. I will take some pictures later to illustrate the process. You must have a drill, 3.5mm drill bit, a M4 tap and tap wrench.

nick

Thanks for the update, Nick. What can I say except "a picture is worth a thousand words." Thanks again!

Dean

nick fan
04-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the update, Nick. What can I say except "a picture is worth a thousand words." Thanks again!

Dean

Hi Dean,
here is my 5 thousand word description. :001_smile:
http://nodalninja.com/NN3_to_MKII_DIY_Upgrade.pdf

nick

aiwetir
04-30-2008, 11:51 PM
nick,

i took my nn3 with new rotator out today for the first time in the field.

it came loose a number of times making it rather difficult to align bracketed shots.

it rotates smoothly, but when it moves smoothly, it also is loose enough to rock. if i tighten it, the rotation becomes rough on a brand new detent ring which i've wiped off a number of times and appears gouged a good bit for a day's use.

i'm pretty frustrated with it at the moment and probably shouldn't be posting on a forum. i've put loc-tite on it today, but as i said on another forum, it looks like i'll have to go back to the old knob unless you have something different to tell me about how to use a simple knob :-\

nick fan
05-01-2008, 03:32 AM
it rotates smoothly, but when it moves smoothly, it also is loose enough to rock. if i tighten it, the rotation becomes rough on a brand new detent ring which i've wiped off a number of times and appears gouged a good bit for a day's use.

Did you put any teflon rings under the knob? If you did, remove them.
The brass dust acts as lubricant. so just leave it there. You should be able to make some fine adjustment on the tension knob. By fine adjustment, I mean every 10 degrees of rotation. Does the knob loosen when you rotate anti-clockwise? It should not loosen unless the tension is too small. the wearing of new detent ring is normal. There can be slight unevenness in the surface. Once the surface becomes flat and smooth, wearing should slow down.
BTW, which model of Loctite are you using? don't use the models for permanent seal/ joint.

nick

aiwetir
05-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Did you put any teflon rings under the knob? If you did, remove them.
The brass dust acts as lubricant. so just leave it there. You should be able to make some fine adjustment on the tension knob. By fine adjustment, I mean every 10 degrees of rotation. Does the knob loosen when you rotate anti-clockwise? It should not loosen unless the tension is too small. the wearing of new detent ring is normal. There can be slight unevenness in the surface. Once the surface becomes flat and smooth, wearing should slow down.
BTW, which model of Loctite are you using? don't use the models for permanent seal/ joint.

nick

no teflon rings inserted. i never rotate it counter clockwise (but i imagine with this new rotator it would be more possible than the old), it's just in the normal handling and carrying (walking around and getting in and out of the car) of the tripod. i used the blue loctite. i'll have to see how it works over time, i really can't have it coming loose in normal handling, perhaps a nylock type nut or a set screw is in order ??

nick fan
05-01-2008, 07:57 PM
i used the blue loctite. i'll have to see how it works over time, i really can't have it coming loose in normal handling, perhaps a nylock type nut or a set screw is in order ??

not sure if i understand. did you glue the tension knob to the rotator? Can you loosen it any more? Have you tried fine adjustment I suggested?

nick

Terrywoodenpic
05-02-2008, 09:35 AM
no teflon rings inserted. i never rotate it counter clockwise (but i imagine with this new rotator it would be more possible than the old), it's just in the normal handling and carrying (walking around and getting in and out of the car) of the tripod. i used the blue loctite. i'll have to see how it works over time, i really can't have it coming loose in normal handling, perhaps a nylock type nut or a set screw is in order ??

What did you put the locktite on.? nothing on mine has a tendency to loosen in either direction. nor should it.
If you put locktite near the bearing ... that sounds very bad news as it needs to be very free moving.

Frate
05-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi Dean,
here is my 5 thousand word description. :001_smile:
http://nodalninja.com/NN3_to_MKII_DIY_Upgrade.pdf

nick

Thank you, Nick!

Bill, what, and how, should we order to try this upgrade?
I'm seriously considering this.

- Dean

Frate
05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
What did you put the locktite on.? nothing on mine has a tendency to loosen in either direction. nor should it.
If you put locktite near the bearing ... that sounds very bad news as it needs to be very free moving.

If I had to guess, I'd think it was the center adjustment screw on the MKI.

aiwetir
05-02-2008, 12:17 PM

of course i didn't put it on or near the bearing ::001_smile:
there's only one part that could loosen, it's the big screw knob on top that comes loose in normal handling of the tripod, walking around with the tripod on my shoulder, getting in and out of the car etc. of course i tried the fine adjustments, if i have it tight enough to not come off, then the rotator is hard to turn and the detents are as hard to feel as the old rotator. if this is the case, then there's no reason for the upgrade knob.

so if i'm the only person with this issue, what in my setup could cause this nick, did i get a bad knob, is there a part missing or what ?

the loctite is a patch, it's not a permanent fix and i know after just a few adjustments the loctite will lose it's hold i'll be back to having to check the thing every single time, which is just another thing to mess up, never mind all all the other things that can be messed up with the camera.

i guess i'll just wait for the new rotators or get a different brand

nick fan
05-02-2008, 09:54 PM
of course i tried the fine adjustments, if i have it tight enough to not come off, then the rotator is hard to turn and the detents are as hard to feel as the old rotator. if this is the case, then there's no reason for the upgrade knob.

so if i'm the only person with this issue, what in my setup could cause this nick, did i get a bad knob, is there a part missing or what ?
i guess i'll just wait for the new rotators or get a different brand

what lens/camera combination are you using? the new knob design just make adjustment easier. It does not make a big boost in performance.
without anything on NN3 and assuming the tension is at the right level, does the knob loosen when you rotate anti-clockwise? Do you need to change detent ring often? If not, putting a little grease under the ring will help. You can use Lithium grease or Teflon grease for best result. if don't you have, I can send you a small tube of grease.
If you want to keep the camera and NN3 on the tripod and walk with the tripod on shoulder, you need a rotator with locking knob. NN3/NN3II rotator is not for this purpose. We have tight budget on the rotator design. The inflated cost of NN3II rotator and detent rings make our profit margin even lower. We just want to give our customers the best for the money within our capability. And we enjoy it. :001_smile: Customer satisfaction and appreciation help me overcome the setbacks and challenges I face everyday in manufacturing and developing NNs. But "Life Is Never Easy!" I was told at a younger age. :wink:

nick

aiwetir
05-03-2008, 12:46 AM
what lens/camera combination are you using? the new knob design just make adjustment easier. It does not make a big boost in performance.
without anything on NN3 and assuming the tension is at the right level, does the knob loosen when you rotate anti-clockwise? Do you need to change detent ring often? If not, putting a little grease under the ring will help. You can use Lithium grease or Teflon grease for best result. if don't you have, I can send you a small tube of grease.
If you want to keep the camera and NN3 on the tripod and walk with the tripod on shoulder, you need a rotator with locking knob. NN3/NN3II rotator is not for this purpose. We have tight budget on the rotator design. The inflated cost of NN3II rotator and detent rings make our profit margin even lower. We just want to give our customers the best for the money within our capability. And we enjoy it. :001_smile: Customer satisfaction and appreciation help me overcome the setbacks and challenges I face everyday in manufacturing and developing NNs. But "Life Is Never Easy!" I was told at a younger age. ;
nick

nick,

i use a d70 and 10.5 nikkor
no it does not loosen when i turn it ccw, but as i said, i don't turn it that way in use (i'm sure it goes that way by accident at times though).
i can probably get away without ever changing the detent ring, i have plenty of different lubricants lying around, no worries on that.

i do need a locking knob so i may try putting the old knob onto the new base with a teflon washer again. i actually carry the old rotator in my bag as i anticipated this issue.

i got your p.m. and i'll more than likely be getting a newer rotator when you finally have them they all look interesting, i just have to decide. i am looking for something more precise though, any secret plans on a nn4 or nn6 :wink: :biggrin: something to fill the price gap between the nn3 and agnos or 360p

thanks for your time nick, i'll just work with what i have right now and plan on picking up something in the near future

nick fan
05-03-2008, 02:20 AM
i am looking for something more precise though, any secret plans on a nn4 or nn6 :wink: :biggrin: something to fill the price gap between the nn3 and agnos or 360p

In around one and a half years, we developped EZ-Leveler, NN5, Arca Swiss style QR system, NN3II, 4 advanced rotators and NN180. So what are we still going to achieve in 2008/2009? You bet. :wink:
sorry a sercret is something that can't be revealed by definition. My tip is always stay with us. :001_smile:
In fact even myself can't predict the release date of a product until it is released. Lots of uncertainty.

nick

Frate
05-03-2008, 08:11 AM
One of the things I've always enjoyed about the NodalNinja line is the price point. Is there any thought of creating a line of parts that can be assembled into custom rigs as desired. In this way, one could buy and upgrade as needed/desired/compelled...Well, there might be some psychiatric issues with photo nuts...not me...I can stop anytime I want...honest...

- Dean

nick fan
05-03-2008, 08:55 AM
One of the things I've always enjoyed about the NodalNinja line is the price point. Is there any thought of creating a line of parts that can be assembled into custom rigs as desired. In this way, one could buy and upgrade as needed/desired/compelled...Well, there might be some psychiatric issues with photo nuts...not me...I can stop anytime I want...honest...

- Dean

Hi Dean,

It is possible in the future. But we need to learn how to manage it first. Currently most of our effort is to fill in missing pieces in our product lines. We prioritize items/ jobs based on maximum benefit of the community. When a quality affordable pano head was missing, we developped NN1/2/3. After release of NN3, we developped NN5 for those using professional gears. After release of NN5, we developped NN180............

nick

zbooy
05-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I received an upgraded rotator two days ago and my first impressions are quite positive. It turns smoother, with clicks much more marked than before. Actually I had to tighten the old rotator so much that it would not click at all. We'll see how it performs in the long run but so far so good and worth $50.

zbooy
http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/

waters
05-08-2008, 08:38 PM
It was not quite clear to me whether drilling & tapping for the new detent rings would give better performance. If this is the case I can easily do it and it would be worth the extra cost of the new rings.

nick fan
05-09-2008, 12:29 AM
It was not quite clear to me whether drilling & tapping for the new detent rings would give better performance. If this is the case I can easily do it and it would be worth the extra cost of the new rings.

The MKII detent rings are CNC machined to high precision. The shape and size of the detent holes are optimized for the new click ball. So overall precision is improved.

nick

waters
05-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Nick:
Can you give me a price on NN3 MkII rings 45,60 20,24 15,18 and the retention pins needed to convert my NN3 to a NN3 MkII?

nick fan
05-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Nick:
Can you give me a price on NN3 MkII rings 45,60 20,24 15,18 and the retention pins needed to convert my NN3 to a NN3 MkII?

Hi Waters,

Currently, I don't have a package price for the MII detent ring. please contact Bill for a quote. you can get the retention pins for free.

nick

Pepsi
05-29-2008, 04:23 AM
Hello,

upgrading from NN3 to NN3II with the new rotator is a good deed !
The difference is amazing !
Smoother rotation, sharper clicks, easier to adjust, no vibration.
Much better all round.
Thanks for this evolution ! :001_smile:

Cheers, Pepsi

mskp
06-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Hi! As told in another post I am about to ask my brother in law in Miami to buy the Rotator upgrade for my NN3. Visitng the Nodal Ninja store I saw that the Rotator R-D12 is already been offered. Is it available or only as announced "due mid to late 2008". Sorry for my insistance but I have to take a decision about it as soon as possible.
Thanks, Martin

nick fan
06-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi Martin,

The estimated date of availability of advanced rotators is Aug/ Sep. It is not available yet.
Curiously, I thought the R-D8 would be the most popular one due to its competitive price. I have put it in higher priority. Why do you like the R-D12? Is it because you plan to make high resolution mosaics?

Nick

mskp
06-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi, Nick! Thanks for your answer. So I have to go with the Rotator upgrade for the moment. I am sure I will buy one of the new ones in a near future. You asked me why the 12 and not the 8 model. Well, in your store they are published with the same price. Now in your product announcements they have a $30 difference, but you never know what you will need in a future and the difference is not so high, so...
Regards, Martin

nick fan
06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
You asked me why the 12 and not the 8 model. Well, in your store they are published with the same price.

I guess Bill is still messing with the NEW E-commerce system. :wink:

nick

Bill Bailey
06-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Because actual pricing and release dates aren't yet an absolute and to lessen confusion I temporarily removed these rotators from the store. Questions are better asked here so Nick can address them direct - so ask away :001_smile:
thx
Bill

mskp
06-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi, Bill! Thanks and thats why I did ask here. I have just sent a mail to my brother in law in Miami to ask him to order in my name the Nodal Ninja 3 MKII rotator, the rail stops and a spare NN3 45/60 degree click stop reversible detent ring. :wink:
Regards, Martin

mskp
07-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi!
It's time for the next upgrade. The MKII rotator has worked well and will for a long time for sure, but I'm seduced by the new ones.
My next step is to get a Rotator R-D4 or Rotator R-D8 as my setup is still a Nikon D80 with a 10.5 lens (6 stops). The R-D4 would be enough, but you never know and some more steps could be usefull for only $20.- of difference in its price.
Is it worth or should I keep the 20 for a case or any other usefull item?

As with my other orders I will ask my brother in law in Miami to place it as soon as I decide which one to get.

Regards, Martin

Bill Bailey
07-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi!
It's time for the next upgrade. The MKII rotator has worked well and will for a long time for sure, but I'm seduced by the new ones.
My next step is to get a Rotator R-D4 or Rotator R-D8 as my setup is still a Nikon D80 with a 10.5 lens (6 stops). The R-D4 would be enough, but you never know and some more steps could be usefull for only $20.- of difference in its price.
As with my other orders I will ask my brother in law in Miami to place it as soon as I decide which one to get.
Regards, Martin

Hi Martin,
IMO keep what you have - no sense in fixing what works. Save your money and consider the next upgrade to an R1 or R10. You could resell your NN3 MKII or keep as a second.
Cheers
Bill

mskp
07-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi, Bill!
Thanks for your sincere reply. Nice :wink:
Anyway I will keep my NN3 as you suggested, but regarding your other suggestion to eventually upgrade to an R1 or R10, with my actual combo they won't work, right?

Regards, Martin

Bill Bailey
07-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi, Bill!
Anyway I will keep my NN3 as you suggested, but regarding your other suggestion to eventually upgrade to an R1 or R10, with my actual combo they won't work, right?
Regards, Martin

Hey Martin,
The R1 and R10 requires the use of a dedicated ring clamp which is included with your purchase. Currently we have 3 clamps to choose from when purchasing one of these heads - the Nikon 10.5mm and Sigma 8mm lens both Nikon and Canon mounts. Additional clamps will follow in due time.
Cheers
Bill

nick fan
07-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi!

Regards, Martin

If you want to upgrade to R1/10 in the future, get the R-D4. It has smaller nadir footprint. If not, get the R-D8. You can get higher resolution pano using rectilinear wide angle lens (up to 50mm eq.). This is important if you want to print some of your panos.

NIck

Nick

nick fan
07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi, Bill!

Regards, Martin

It doesn't work well for indoor pano but works for outdoor pano when you only have sky in the zenith.

NIck

mskp
07-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi!
Thanks for your reply.
As far as I understood the R1 an/or R10 rotator would not be optimal with my present setup.
Despite Bill's suggestion (which I thank) I still consider to get one of the prior rotators like the R-D8 or R-D4, in which case I prefer the one with the smaller footprint (D4).
I've observed that on the store when ordering the R-D8 you will be asked on which NN (3 or 5) one wants to mount the rotator to supply the correct mounting kit. That question is not made when ordering the R-D4. In that case is it the same which NN you have?

Regards, Martin :001_smile:

Bill Bailey
07-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey Martin,
Well I believe you would be the first to order an RD4 for the NN3. I just placed the kit option in the store for the R-D4>
http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/r-d4.htm
The R-D4 footprint is a couple mm's larger in diameter than the standard NN3 MKII rotator.
Also I have a couple RD8 factory irregulars available at a good discounted rate (not listed) - if interested PM me.
If any of this stuff doesn't work for you you are welcomed to return for full refund.
cheers
Bill

mskp
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi, Bill!
I have already sent you 2 PM and did not receive any answer. Sorry for my insistence and for using this way, but as you usually reply almost immediately, it comes that I think or suspect that there might be another inconvenience.

Regards, Martin

Grinch
07-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Bill,
I am in the same situation as mskp. I want to upgrade my NN3 (buy in 2007, love tis head :001_tongue:). I think i will buy a R1 or R10 in the futur. So, my problem is: if tomorrow i buy a RD4, it will be correct for my futur RD1-10. But, with my NN3, if i want to make mosaic panos, RD8 or RD16 appear better. So, my question is: RD8 or RD16 will be compatible with RD1-10?

Thanks
Regards.

nick fan
07-23-2009, 08:10 PM
So, my question is: RD8 or RD16 will be compatible with RD1-10?

I am making adapter for this purpose.
But I warn you, this final combo is much heavier and bulkier than an R-D4.

Nick

Grinch
07-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply.

I prefer always versatility. I might wait until then before buy a rotator for my NN3. How long can hope to have this new adapter on the store?

Regards.