Stitching software [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Stitching software

Bill Bailey
04-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Here's another question we get asked - what software do people use. This is an important question that is based on many factors like price, type of panoramas, output etc. So I thought I would simply ask the public at large what they use for "stitching" software. We'll let this poll run for awhile and see how it pans out (no pun intended) :biggrin:
Thanks for taking part.
Bil

Frate
04-25-2008, 05:12 AM
In the "other" category:

AutoPano Pro

Great site!

- Dean

Harvey Cooper
04-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Realviz Stitcher Unlimited 5.5.4 or PhotoShop CS3

Bill Bailey
05-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I really thought Autopan would get more hits.

Mennaut
05-14-2008, 06:54 AM
So did I Bill, Autopano is an excellent and easy to use tool.

Greetz
Dennis

Bill Bailey
05-14-2008, 07:09 AM
So did I Bill, Autopano is an excellent and easy to use tool.
Greetz
Dennis

Hi Dennis, I personally have not used Autopan, guess I should give it a go. We have heard a few folks (through our customer inquiry form) say they do use this software more so than what the current stats reflect.
It will be good to see how the poll pans out long term - no pun intended :001_smile:
cheers Bill

ThomasLG
05-16-2008, 10:39 PM
I use PTAssembler, and have it call AutoPano to generate control points. Then I use Enblend or Smartblend to handle seams. The new version of PTA will even "stack" for exposure (a la HDR) and/or focus (a la Helicon Focus or CombineZM). Since the poll was limited to two choices, I went with PTA and "Other". I'm surprised PTGui has so many more than PTA.

Terrywoodenpic
05-17-2008, 01:35 PM
I use PTAssembler, and have it call AutoPano to generate control points. Then I use Enblend or Smartblend to handle seams. The new version of PTA will even "stack" for exposure (a la HDR) and/or focus (a la Helicon Focus or CombineZM). Since the poll was limited to two choices, I went with PTA and "Other". I'm surprised PTGui has so many more than PTA.

I use PTAssembler But I think PTGui is more popular because of the greater ease that it handles 360x180.
the preview feature in PTAssembler is a very nice and useful touch , for visually levelling and setting the vertical. as well as
for quickly showing other projections.

John Houghton
05-18-2008, 05:27 AM
I use PTAssembler, and have it call AutoPano to generate control points. ....... Since the poll was limited to two choices, I went with PTA and "Other".
I believe Autopano in the poll list should really be Autopano Pro - the stitcher. The earlier Autopano is merely a control point generator.

John

giorgosmg
05-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Realviz Stitcher 5.6 and Photoshop CS3.

photosbykev
05-22-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm very new to the panorama genre and I started with Panorama Factory until I selected it in this poll and found I was all on my own lol. I've been trialling PTGui for the last couple of sequences I've done and it is so more accurate stitching the images. Plus it handles HDR bracketed images sets which I almost always use. Thank you for the poll it's made a huge difference :001_smile:

ThomasKrueger.eu
05-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Bill, you should add also Autopano Pro to the vote. Works like a charm!!!

pgielen
06-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Bill, you should add also Autopano Pro to the vote. Works like a charm!!!

I answered PTGui as well as Autopano Pro. PTGui being a thing of the past. A couple of months ago I tried Autopano Pro for the first time and now I have to admit I can't afford not to use it anymore. It brings the fun back to panorama making since it detects control points so much better, it directly reads raw camera files and it makes tedious tasks like straightening vertical lines and deleting the feet of the photographer from the nadir so much easier :001_smile:

emac50
07-11-2008, 04:07 PM
As I am just getting started with panorama photography, I did some research and picked Autopano Pro. I liked that fact that I could use the Raw NEF's straight from my Nikon D300. It just works with very little learning curve. The company is promising a free upgrade to the next major version 2.0 due out this fall which will include HDR capabilities.

Rome

etegration
09-19-2008, 03:03 PM
a few chose "Others", what others are there? just curious...

Chillinbro07
10-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I just ordered my NN5 so I have no idea which software to use. :confused1: Could all of the bright minds here help to compile a KISS (keep it simple stupid) comparison chart off the most popular stitching software and/or combinations there of? I know everyone has thier "goldenboy" but the obviously act differently and a choice from among them should be made by what you want to accomplish with them. Many thanks for your help!

~Chillinbro07

Tri3
10-03-2008, 08:58 AM
You can get a demo of PTGui. You should find that that works great.

Bill Bailey
10-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Photoshop seems to have such a generic stitching ability I guess the only reason it is so popular here is due to the fact many already have it.
With CS4 just released with greatly enhanced stitching capability it'll be interesting to see how many folks will go for the new version and rely on this as their primary stitching software. I've already heard of some weak points in the software.
Bill

TackleTour
11-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Has anyone tried VR Worx 2.6 or later?

I tried demos of other programs but I want one app if possible that's good for Object VR and Pano VRs.

So far from my demos, PTGUI has been the best for pano VRs. Stitched a 6 photo room pano first time without issues (except the parallax issue I had because I was using a tripod without a pano head. Ordered a NN3 II this week, it's on it's way!)

dlancaster
12-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Just discovered Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor). I had been using Autostitch for a lot of my pans but found that ICE did a much better job. As much as I hate to admit that Microsoft has done something really good, this program is definitely worth a look. Best of all, it is free!! It has a lot of features and allows you to manipulate the horizons or change the aspect quite easily.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/

PrOxY
12-18-2008, 01:44 AM
I just picked up a Lic for AutopanoPro 1.4.2 and find it very easy to use.

jwigum
12-27-2008, 11:16 AM
I just bought a NN3MII, and have been using Hugin for stitching, with Photoshop CS2 for adjustments after construction of the panorama. If I ever want to charge for these services I'll have to find a program with a professional license(Hugin does not allow for commercial work, if I recall correctly), but I think it uses a process similar to other major panorama stitching programs.

From what I can tell, most of these programs are GUI/front end for Panorama Tools... Anybody have some insight on that, and it's impact on professional(for profit) work?

I should note, I'm using a PC. It appears several of the coolest programs are set up for Mac/OS X only :sad:

ok360tours.com
12-28-2008, 01:28 AM
I just bought a NN3MII, and have been using Hugin for stitching, with Photoshop CS2 for adjustments after construction of the panorama. If I ever want to charge for these services I'll have to find a program with a professional license(Hugin does not allow for commercial work, if I recall correctly), but I think it uses a process similar to other major panorama stitching programs.

From what I can tell, most of these programs are GUI/front end for Panorama Tools... Anybody have some insight on that, and it's impact on professional(for profit) work?

I should note, I'm using a PC. It appears several of the coolest programs are set up for Mac/OS X only :sad:

Jwigum, I think you are misreading the purposes of the Hugin and Panotools licenses. They are saying that no other entity can copy, modify, or put up for sale any version of their product, without their written approval. I am sure that any for-profit GUI for panotools is paying rights or has written consent to make use of the algorithms contained. This does not mean that you can't use it to produce products for commercial sale, so long as they are products of using Hugin and not variations of Hugin. In fact, what you said would be like saying that you cannot use your PC to create panoramas based on the copyrighting of Windows by Microsoft. As long as you don't take a Microsoft- or Hugin- product and sell it as a creation of yours then you are fine.

Programming code is intellectual property owned by the creator, much the same as the photographs you produce. When you "sell" your VTs commercially you are not, or rather should not, hand complete rights of them over to the client. Instead, common practice is to license the use of your intellectual property (photographs and VTs) for use by the client. This goes without saying that if a client was willing to pay extra for exclusive rights that you should not try to sell it to them, but in general practice you still "own" the VTs you produce for others.

Many programmers design applications like Panotools and Hugin simply for recognition and to showcase their talents, to bring in further clients. Much of the opensource projects you see are built on the premise that the attention begotten from it will lead to more business for the creators.

Terrywoodenpic
12-28-2008, 03:01 AM

ok360tours has it right... there is no restriction on the use of these programmes professionally....

The copyright in the front end of these programs is another matter and they are protected as is all software. so you could not sell the program as if it were yours.
Pano tools on which these programs are based is the copyright of Dr Dersh who has put them in the public domain.

markkuk
12-28-2008, 05:15 AM
Jwigum, I think you are misreading the purposes of the Hugin and Panotools licenses. They are saying that no other entity can copy, modify, or put up for sale any version of their product, without their written approval.
The Hugin license (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html) says exactly the opposite: anyone can distribute original or modified versions of the software and use it for any purpose without any additional approval needed. The version of Panorama Tools used by Hugin is also under the GPL.

jwigum
12-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Jwigum, I think you are misreading the purposes of the Hugin and Panotools licenses. They are saying that no other entity can copy, modify, or put up for sale any version of their product, without their written approval. I am sure that any for-profit GUI for panotools is paying rights or has written consent to make use of the algorithms contained. This does not mean that you can't use it to produce products for commercial sale, so long as they are products of using Hugin and not variations of Hugin. In fact, what you said would be like saying that you cannot use your PC to create panoramas based on the copyrighting of Windows by Microsoft. As long as you don't take a Microsoft- or Hugin- product and sell it as a creation of yours then you are fine.

Programming code is intellectual property owned by the creator, much the same as the photographs you produce. When you "sell" your VTs commercially you are not, or rather should not, hand complete rights of them over to the client. Instead, common practice is to license the use of your intellectual property (photographs and VTs) for use by the client. This goes without saying that if a client was willing to pay extra for exclusive rights that you should not try to sell it to them, but in general practice you still "own" the VTs you produce for others.

Many programmers design applications like Panotools and Hugin simply for recognition and to showcase their talents, to bring in further clients. Much of the opensource projects you see are built on the premise that the attention begotten from it will lead to more business for the creators.

Yeah, I most certainly misread the license for both Hugin and Panotools. I read over the licenses again, and am not really sure how I made the confusion. That should teach me to try to learn about something while being home sick from work.

jmardy
01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I answered PTGui as well as Autopano Pro. PTGui being a thing of the past. A couple of months ago I tried Autopano Pro for the first time and now I have to admit I can't afford not to use it anymore. It brings the fun back to panorama making since it detects control points so much better, it directly reads raw camera files and it makes tedious tasks like straightening vertical lines and deleting the feet of the photographer from the nadir so much easier :001_smile:

Another enthusiastic vote for Autopano Pro.
I hadn't heard of it until I saw this poll but I tried it, along with almost everything else on this list and it is truly a brilliant program.
There are some very good tutorial videos here:
http://www.autopano.net/wiki/action/view/Main_Page

Terrywoodenpic
01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
These are two progress shots of a new build pub cellar 144 FOV
the first is the new Max Lyons Recti perspective.. unique to ptAssembler

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b279/terrywoodenpic/cellar-1_blended.jpg

The second is the same shot in the usual cylindrical projection

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b279/terrywoodenpic/cellar-cyl_blended.jpg

John Houghton
01-24-2009, 12:28 AM
These are two progress shots of a new build pub cellar 144 FOV
the first is the new Max Lyons Recti perspective.. unique to ptAssembler

The same projection is available in PTGui but called Vedutismo. (As of V8.1beta2).

John

gt_nninja
04-18-2009, 08:01 PM
I tried Autopano Pro but it renders my 360x180 with a squiggly horizon. It has a much better control point creator but this squiggly horizon thing is a deal breaker. I'm still playing with doing a 360x180 and am having some issues with hugin's auto control point detection. I must be doing something wrong in APP. I like the APP's feature where it will allow you to render bracketed shots separately and enfuse the resulting pano afterwards.

kaidot
07-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Up to now I like th ePTGUI much better. Compared to Autopano Pro or Giga (that I would maybe like because of the features) PTGUI gets much better results with exactly the same pictures. I compared PTGUI with RAWS with Autopano with RAWs as well as PTGUI with preprocessed 16BIT TIFS with Autopano precprocesses Tiffs. In every case the PTGUI wins. I really don't know why...

Also: I do not like that the Autopano seams to be less brilliant (colors) than the PTGUI. Might have to do with the settings. But I compared standard settings with standard settings...

Any recommandation?
Regards
Kai

2BeCalifornian
07-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi Bill,

I am using Autopano Giga.

Kolor is a small company, the spirit is entrepreneurial and so, I'd rather patronize the small (and more specialized) gems rather that the 801 lbs Gorilla (Photoshop, that is).

I started panoramic stitching from scratch, ?459.67?F (absolute zero) . The software works wonderfully for me.

I would like to recommend an excellent DVD from French photographer Arnaud Frich called "Panoramic Photography with Autopano Pro".

My only sore point with Autopano lies with its documentation, which content seems a bit out of date. I know they're working on updating it (as of July 29th, 2009).

On the positive side:
The wiki includes video tutorials. That is an excellent idea (not yet available on YouTube...but who knows, one day...),
The Autopano forum is very active. There seems to be some real pros there answering mega fast...that's a BIG help.

There are my two cents.

Cheers!

Sam Rohn
09-19-2009, 04:53 PM
i recently switched to PTGUI from realviz/autodesk stitcher as autodesk has apparently abandoned all development and support for this product, actually removing critical features in 5.7 & stitcher unlimited, such as batch rendering, an essential feature which ptgui, autopano, & hugin all support -

not to mention their official and explicitly stated "no support for paying customers after 30 days" policy, more like a trial period than a support plan -

this app was once as good or better than anything else out there, now it is just an overpriced toy, not a professional tool at all

sam

donnnnnny
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I have been given a copy of canon photostich, on the recommendation of Ken rockwell, my mate has a canon and ill be using it on a mac10.5.8
any comments greatly appreciated

Osprey
11-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I have been given a copy of canon photostich, on the recommendation of Ken rockwell, my mate has a canon and ill be using it on a mac10.5.8
any comments greatly appreciated

I have Canon PhotoStitch Don and rarely use it these days. I found I got much better results from Panorama Factory, although until recently, all my panorama successes have been at long focal lengths. Now that I have the NN5, it'll be interesting to see how well PF really works. I also use Photoshop on the odd occassion to stitch photos as well.

cc2009
12-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I prefer Easypano Panoweaver, which supports HDR creation, Camera RAW, flash output format, and mostly import, easy to use for a newbie like me. :wink:
BTW, the tripod mark on the bottom could be removed!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44098684@N03/4207827118/sizes/l/

Diegoto
01-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Even though I never have used PTGUI. I find the barrel distorsion in their gallery not very attractive. Has anyone done stitching with PTGUI showing straight lines?
Someone recommended the software to me as the best, but since the distortion is very noticeable, I am afraid my clients would complain. ::001_smile:

Diego

hansnyberg
01-31-2010, 04:15 AM
Even though I never have used PTGUI. I find the barrel distorsion in their gallery not very attractive. Has anyone done stitching with PTGUI showing straight lines?
Someone recommended the software to me as the best, but since the distortion is very noticeable, I am afraid my clients would complain. ::001_smile:

Diego

Ha Ha
Yes Diego I have to laugh.
The barrel distortion you are talking about is I guess the special fisheye option of the KRPano viewer.

Its a feature that KRPano has and has of course nothing to do with PTgui or stitching.
Its just a matter of settings you do in the XML for the viewer.
You can have a right click option for changing this if you want. I do not like it either but a lot of other photographers do as it gives you the option of a large FOV without the extreme distortion that rectilinear projection has. It is great for panoramas in crowds with people where you want to show a large field of view for example at a tradeshow.

Hans
www.panoramas.dk

Diegoto
01-31-2010, 05:26 AM
Great!

Thanks a lot Hans. I am glad the effect is optional. PTGui support answered me in an email this was a request from many customers, but did not tell me if I could disable it.
Great panoramas on your website.

Diego

hansnyberg
01-31-2010, 06:41 AM
Tanks

Well PTgui has nothing to do with KRpano. It is just used as viewer in their Gallery. I actually just suggested to Joost to just use the standard rectilinear view for it as it can be very missleading showing the panoramas with this projection.

HJans

Diegoto
01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks for telling him.

I got to make a correction about my latest comment :ohmy:

The barrel effect was not suggested by clients, just added deliberately to allow a larger field without the image stretched on the sides.

Diego

Diegoto
01-31-2010, 01:07 PM
I prefer Easypano Panoweaver, which supports HDR creation, Camera RAW, flash output format, and mostly import, easy to use for a newbie like me. :wink:

I wonder if you need a third party software for output formats in PTGui?

kosovohp
06-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks for telling him.
I got to make a correction about my latest comment
I'm glad to meet you

Removed spam from signature

Seacat
06-30-2010, 11:31 AM
PTGui is my favorite!

I use also Pano2VR to make the 360X180 panorama!

Regards,

Johan

admin
08-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Stitching Pole is now active again :)

spiritburner
08-07-2010, 12:13 AM
I used to use autopano giga and found it worked really well until quite recently i was having to stitch shots where the camera was very close to objects such as railings, bars and i was getting awful stitching errors, i put it down to my settings on the lens rail and then after having a chat with Trausti i tried PT Gui which after a short learning curve found that it stitched these previous shots perfectly so i have to admit I am now a convert after two years on autopano giga!

Castillonis
08-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I use a tool box of different software. I use different tools for different tasks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_photo_stitching_applications

foto-biz
10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm a newbie to NN. I've been using Hugin for a while on a Panosaurus. I see here that the vast majority of people use PTGui.

Why? I'm not a troll starting a flame war, just a newbie. I thought that PT and Hugin were only front-ends and used the same back-end tools. So why spend $250 for PTGui Pro?

Bill Bailey
10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm a newbie to NN. I've been using Hugin for a while on a Panosaurus. I see here that the vast majority of people use PTGui.
Why? I'm not a troll starting a flame war, just a newbie. I thought that PT and Hugin were only front-ends and used the same back-end tools. So why spend $250 for PTGui Pro?
Best answer would be to use the trial version to test out to see if cost is justified based on the tools you use for each.
Bill

foto-biz
10-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Best answer would be to use the trial version to test out to see if cost is justified based on the tools you use for each.
Bill

Not really.

The 30 days is only good if you know what you are doing and what to look for. I don't know. Right now, I'm doing pano + fused stacks, and Hugin does OK. I'm sure that almost all other software can do the basics. What about the other advanced scenarios (that I can't think about right now, but will learn later)?
Now if it was 90 days, I would be able to do enough trial and errors to figure out what I should be looking for.

That's why I was asking.

Bill Bailey
10-07-2011, 07:34 AM
myself I don't use all tools available with PTGui so not qualified to really say. Try googling "PTGUI vs HUGIN" you find some good threads from those more in the know.